Opposites Attract Picture Thread

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
While I'm sitting around healing and re-habbing after my hip surgery last week, I figured I'd put up a new thread. Y'all know I like themed picture threads having started them for Shiros, Disco'd Benchmades, Micarta Scales, Big Folders, and Large/Small Pairs of the Same Model.

I was handling two recent purchases this morning and realized I've been buying some smaller knives lately (along with my usual larger favorites), but the two I like most are very different in many respects. They're both Ti frame lock flippers with similar steels, but they couldn't be more opposite either.

The Shirogorov NeOn Ultra Lite is long for a smaller knife with a 3.25" blade running all the way back to the ricasso, while the Hinderer Half Track comes in at 2.75" with a fair-sized choil. The Shiro is slender and elegant with a drop-point, FFG blade, while the chunky Hinderer's thicker blade sports a high saber grind with a generous belly, clipped point, and swedge. The NeOn is spare and simple while the HalfTrack is really quite busy--moreso with my addition of copper hardware. 2.8 oz for the Shiro compared to 4.12 oz for the little Hinderer.

Anyway, the point is these knives are very different in so many ways, but I like each a lot and couldn't really say which I like better. So, how about we see two of your favorites that are quite opposite in many ways--with perhaps some similarities--with some thoughts on each as to their differences and what you like about each for use or aesthetics. Could be low/high price, large/small, differing styles, same/different makers, or locks, or materials, or weight, or whatever.

fftE7II.jpg

FzLJWKX.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just going to wait and see how this thread plays out before I get involved, to get a feel for how things are supposed to go.

What I'm hoping to see here from posters are two very different sorts of knives that are favorites. Lots of knife knuts have considerable variety in their collections and favorite knives from opposite ends of the spectrum could make for some interesting posts.

If that seems confusing, remember I'm still less than a week out of surgery and fairly heavily medicated. :confused:

I think I get it...

qFxg0ju.jpg

These are my two [current] favorites.

Things that are opposite:
BLADE SHAPE
V ground vs. chisel
Thick vs thin blade stock
Steel finish (raw vs satin)
Handle colors
Makers mark on opposite sides ( admittedly of zero concern but since I'm pointing out opposites...)
Bolt construction vs carbon pins
Pointy pommel vs wide flat pommel with exposed tang
Very large/aggressive jimping vs none

Things that are the same
Materials (Elmax & micarta)

I guess I need to take some photos :rolleyes:

I'll be back.

Ray

Nice thread idea. Here are a couple relatively new but soon-to-be favorites:

izUegjA.jpg

I've been office (lab) EDCing the cruwear a lot; clearly, I haven't committed to thrashing on it yet but I do see it acquiring a nice patina and love marks down the road.

I earmarked the CF model as my future hiking and backpacking folder (no use as such yet - ACL surgery - I feel your pain, OP) as soon as I heard about this sprint run because I haven't loved the manix 2 LW in that role. Hopefully she'll be chock full of dried apple skin and chicken sausage by the end of the summer.

My favorite cheep knife and my best small knife.

8D75C76D-919D-4435-A63E-F0164E28B937.jpeg

CRK small Inkosi and CRKT Drifter.
They’re almost identical in size (and sharpness, for the moment), but they couldn’t be more different. ....other than they both cut stuff.... :)

ETA Details:
Ti Scales vs stainless (I guess)
S35VN vs 8Cr13 (I guess)
Amazing pocket clip vs resembles a clip
Tolerances vs what?
Quality fastners vs screws of some kind
Great ergos vs ...it’s a knife
PB washers vs PB AND Teflon (Hey, it works!)
Perfectly centered vs “Benchmade centered”
Oh, and about $355 other things.

The weight is about the same and I’ve got the Drifter tuned up and flipping great with zero blade play!

Last edited:
The Lion and the Bear

Ok, here's a pair that's opposite in two quite obvious ways--modern vs traditional and one very much larger than the other. These make a very nice carry pair for when I'm out and about, as it's nice to have a knife appropriate to smaller tasks anyway as well as one to use or proffer that won't strike the same terror into the uninitiated that thwacking out a giant Russian flipper would.

Their similarities make for a great pairing--many of them due to the use of modern materials in a traditional pattern:
--M390 blade steel.
--CF scales.
--Titanium hardware and components.
--Screw together construction.
--Both made on the other side of the pond.

uRhkfp0.jpg

Xwg96GR.jpg

The Lion and the Bear

Ok, here's a pair that's opposite in two quite obvious ways--modern vs traditional and one very much larger than the other. These make a very nice carry pair for when I'm out and about, as it's nice to have a knife appropriate to smaller tasks anyway as well as one to use or proffer that won't strike the same terror into the uninitiated that thwacking out a giant Russian flipper would.

Their similarities make for a great pairing--many of them due to the use of modern materials in a traditional pattern:
--M390 blade steel.
--CF scales.
--Titanium hardware and components.
--Screw together construction.
--Both made on the other side of the pond.

uRhkfp0.jpg

Xwg96GR.jpg

Chazzy - these are the two knives I intended to photograph and post :rolleyes: - though my Shiro is an F3 is G-10 and my Shuffler is Stag. Hell - I might just post 'em anyway :) Later...

Ray

Last edited:
Chazzy - these are the two knives I intended to photograph and post :rolleyes: - though my Shiro is an F3 is G-10 and my Shuffler is Stag. Hell - I might just post 'em anyway :) Later...

Ray
Post away, Ray! We'd love to see 'em and read your thoughts on what makes two such different blades work for ya'.

Back