1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ordered a Ratmandu!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Cryptyc, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Cryptyc

Cryptyc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Well last week I ordered a Swamp Rat Ratmandu. I'm pumped. Went with the tan micarta and black blade finish. I just dig that look. I also ordered a Mashed Cat sheath for it as well. On their site, Swamp Rat says it's about a 4-14 week wait for the knife. I'm pumped.

Side note, I was able to call them after I ordered and state I was military to get a military discount (had to send a copy of my CAC). They said they'd place it on my order, but I'm not sure what the actual discount amount will be.

Just wanted to share my excitement.

2. Hindsight

Hindsight Moderator Moderator

Dec 8, 2011
    Congrats on the Ratmandu you have coming, thats my favorite color combo for these also! The wait will fly by (Hopefully) :)

3. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Hindsight,

I'm not patient by nature, but I am so damn busy that the time will fly for sure. I can't wait to use the crap out of it. From what I've seen and read, the SR101 steel makes for a real beast of a knife. I look forward to familiarizing myself with it.

4. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I ordered a Ratmandu also last Friday. Got the tan grip and desert sage blade. My first knife from the Busse line.
    [​IMG]

5. Hindsight

Hindsight Moderator Moderator

Dec 8, 2011
    Skyhorse,
    Wonderful start, be careful the swamp is known to suck people in but we have plenty of room for you! But all jokes aside welcome to the family! :)

Cryptyc,
    SR101 is a wonderful steel and will surely take a good beating, be sure to come back and post some photos of use in our photo thread! Would love to hear what you think of the knife.

6. cut it out

cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    Congrats to both you guys. The RMD is probably the best knife to start with. http://[​IMG]

7. Mike-The-Knife

Mike-The-Knife

Dec 6, 2011
    Congrats to both you guys ! The Ratmandu is arguably the most popular Swamp Rat knife and has a huge following . I hope you find the knife as impressive as most Ratmandu owners :thumbup:

8. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Thank you for the kind words and congrats to you as well skyhorse! I will definitely get some dope user pics when I get it and put a slashing on some things.

9. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    I wonder what the average angle of the edge is from the factory ? Thanks guys really looking forward to trying out this knife.

10. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    skyhorse,
    I heard that the newer ones are more acute than the older versions. If not, I heard the SR101 is pretty forgiving in sharpening and can take a wicked edge so there might be some initial edge setting necessary before it really shines.

11. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Skyhorse and Cryptyc, congrats and welcome to the forum fellas :thumbup:

Josh! Good to see you posting man!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  12. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Congrats guys!

But also a word of warning...
    RMD was my first Bussekin... now (for purpose of being able to answer SWMBO's question 'how many knives you have' honestly) I'm not sure on which side of 100 I am... :eek:

There is a few RMDs in different flavors in there... ;)

13. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    i have some DMT bench stones and make my own jig to re set a bevel so it will be a fun project if the edge is to acute.

14. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Hard Knocks & elof_alv,
    Thank you. I am glad to say that my account has a pending charge from them for my knife and their website says that I'd get charged 7-14 days before the actual shipping of my knife so hopefully I'll have it in a couple of weeks!!!! Awesome.

15. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Excellent choice. Just remember to sip the kool-aid. :)

16. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Kootaga,
    Thank you, and from what I hear, I'm sure I'll be chugging the kool aid

17. Rusty_shackelford

Rusty_shackelford Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2013
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I just bought a spec ops combat master (short) for mine. Fairly nice sheath at a decent price if you're in the market for one.

18. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Oh baby! I love the natural patina. My mashed cat sheath will be here Monday so I'm going with that for now. I did like the looks of the combat master as well.

19. Rusty_shackelford

Rusty_shackelford Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2013
    :thumbup:

20. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Congrats Cryptyc!

A black/tan Ratmandu was my first Swamp Rat order and first introduction to Bussekin. Here's a little something while you wait:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately in a moment of weakness I sold her, but only because I scored an LE off the Exchange here during the wait! :D Then I also jumped on the super-sweet Jackmandu when they were offered:

[​IMG]

Nothing compared to some Rats and Hogs out there, but I'm up to a dozen or so total 'kin now. It seems like every time I manage to part with something, at least two more sprout back up in its place... :confused: :)