1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 21 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Knives Megatherium, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Ordered a Ratmandu!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Cryptyc, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    If you are not happy with the edge you can always contact the Swamp and they will get it where you want it. They are not a fire and forget company.

2. Cryptyc

Cryptyc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2013
    I have never owned a SR101 steel knife before the ratmandu and I am very impressed with the edge it takes. Skyhorse you are going to be stoked when you sharpen that bad boy up. Work some course stones and you'll set your bevels in no time, then polish that apex and you'll be loving it. I don't think it will take you long, certainly not worth sending it back for a resharpening in my opinion.

3. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Victory is mine friends !
    [​IMG]
    Spent about an hour or so yesterday and again today, now my blade is screaming sharp. :thumbup: :D

4. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    That's awesome skyhorse! Now, where are the pics dammit?!

5. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    I'll post some today Cryptyc. :D

6. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Well jeeze, it's about time. Waiting me a wait a whole business week is just irresponsible of you!

7. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    Well not the best pics but here it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]"][​IMG]
    Btw if you ever get stationed at Ft Bliss, lot's of cool places to eat.
    [​IMG]

8. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Nice looking combo of the brown and tan. I dig it. The edge looks nice and defined in those pics.

I've never been to Ft. Bliss. I have a couple battles out there and they like it pretty well. What is your MOS skyhorse? You tanker or infantryman like me (my current primary is 19k, my secondary is 11b and was in an infantry unit for a while)?

9. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    Thanks Cryptic . Around 47 years ago I was an Airborne Pioneer , nowadays I'm just an old man with a bad attitude. :)
    [​IMG]

10. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    ^Good movie right there!!

I'm not military, but much of my family is. I appreciate you guys no end.

11. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    skyhorse,
    You're still young yet brother! That's awesome.

Knocks,
    Thank you.

12. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    Thanks Knocks & Cryptyc . Not a good photo but this is an OD green Smashed Cat Sheath.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  13. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Looks great skyhorse, quick question; how tight is the fit?

14. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    The fit is absolutely spot on, no shaking, rattle or blade rub. I also purchased a G clip from him that comes with mounting hardware .

15. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  16. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Well I wonder what is up with mine then....hmmm. It is definitely a one hand draw now but that's only because I've worn a lot of paint off. Maybe my coating was thicker than others.

17. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    I'm seriously considering striping my blade coating off and doing some inlays in the handle.

18. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    I think stripping the paint would be a great idea. Used mine heavily again to process wood, didn't need to but wanted to. What's impressive is that it can still shave hair (with effort). It's awesome. I really like the SR101.

19. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    I really like the steel also, great feedback on the stone. Haven't cut anything tough yet with mine but it feels like a real go getter. :D