Orders Ceased

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
I will no longer be taking orders from anyone who has not bought 5 or more knives directly from me.

Also, I'm not using corby bolts in my knives anymore. If thats a deal breaker for your order, then please consider it cancelled. Metalic bolsters either. I'm unable to work these easilly with the tools in my shop, and I am not going to do them anymore.

I can't keep up with the dozens of changes constantly happening to the orders. The details that folks request, change, re-request, and re-change, and the control over the process they have over me is too demanding on my time and stressful for me to keep up with.

This may change in the future, but for now, no more orders.

sorry to hear that Andy, I can imagine it gets frustrating. For those of us who already have our orders placed are they safe?

sorry to hear that Andy, I can imagine it gets frustrating. For those of us who already have our orders placed are they safe?

Is that convex Terrasaur still cool? No changes from me Andy.

I wanted to change my order for a Dozier bushcrafter from hollow to scandi, and they said that was fine, but that if I wanted any more changes, I would have to be moved to the back of the line.

Maybe thats the way to go. Wouldn't stop the constant emails and phone calls though.

Last edited:
Hey Andy, you take it easy man.

You've been putting out a lot of really great work lately, crazy busy too. I know how these things can get a little on top of you.

Gotta make time for yourself and keep what your doing enjoyable, if that means a little hiatus then go for it. Your your own boss...and its your privilege.

Take care.

scruff

definitely understandable... i can it imagine it being very frustrating, with folks constantly changing their minds... good thing i'm not too picky and just like sharp,pointy knives...:D

take it easy bro..:thumbup:

I wanted to change my order for a Dozier bushcrafter from hollow to scandi, and they said that was fine, but that if I wanted any more changes, I would have to be moved to the back of the line.

+1. :thumbup:

Just another thought or two... I also ordered a Dozier recently and specified some features. The email confirmation I received had the following language:

Please be aware that any changes made after 30 days from the date of
order will cancel the order and a new order will be placed.

Andy, maybe you could do something similar--though I'd probably go with 14 days or something a little more reasonable. If a guy can't decide what he wants in two weeks (or even one week), well then the back of the line will give him more time to ponder.

Yes. Unless you've stated that you have to have corby bolts or metal bolsters. I've found corby's to be causing a bit of seperation at the leading edge, and I'm not doing them. Bolsters just kill me because of the time involved. I've got a few more KPH's to do and then thats it on the metal bolsters. I just don't like doing them.

Is that convex Terrasaur still cool? No changes from me Andy.

Maybe thats the way to go. Wouldn't stop the constant emails and phone calls though.

Yep. You're good Dan. No biggie.

I will no longer be taking orders from anyone who has not bought 5 or more knives directly from me.

Also, I'm not using corby bolts in my knives anymore. If thats a deal breaker for your order, then please consider it cancelled. Metalic bolsters either. I'm unable to work these easilly with the tools in my shop, and I am not going to do them anymore.

I can't keep up with the dozens of changes constantly happening to the orders. The details that folks request, change, re-request, and re-change, and the control over the process they have over me is too demanding on my time and stressful for me to keep up with.

This may change in the future, but for now, no more orders.

Where should folks order your knives from now, Andy?

KNIVES SHIP FREE?

RUSSELL?

'Splain, please, if you would. :)

Where should folks order your knives from now, Andy?

KNIVES SHIP FREE?

RUSSELL?

'Splain, please, if you would. :)

I think he is talking about "cutom orders" that are either not designs he already makes or are deviations from his designs. I think he'll still be offering knives as usual....I think anyway...that's the way I took it.

I totally understand how you feel. You gotta do what makes you money and does not cause you to rip your hair out. Your effort will probably be more effective not having to constantly deal with undecided customers and there many requests.
I think your designs are great and you know what combos work with each other anyways. Just build them and we will buy em up.

If this gives you more time to be creative and enthusiastic about your work, I understand. Just let us know when you have knives available. Maybe a hint if you are doing a run of a certain model(like your next batch of Runts with wood handles!).

Life's too short to have to deal with unnecessary stress.

Like someone said, if you build them, we'll buy them. :D

Congratulations to everyone who got a Fiddleback, guess the prize just went up :eek:

I will still be selling knives at Bladeforums, and the other forums I sell on. Knives Ship Free, and Lee's Cutlery will still have stock.

I'm just stopping the custom orders. Its twice the work, and too frequently, the order is simply cancelled. Folks can't eat knives, so thats OK. But I can't eat orders. There is no money in them, so they've been stopped.

what is someone ordered 5 or more would you take the order then :)

Maybe.

Congratulations to everyone who got a Fiddleback, guess the prize just went up :eek:

He didn't say he was going to stop making knives or raise the "prize".

When the man stops taking custom orders, for me it means that he has enough work and is popular. Price vs demand. Easy as that... At least his "special" customs should be priced higher in the aftermarket.

I will still be selling knives at Bladeforums, and the other forums I sell on. Knives Ship Free, and Lee's Cutlery will still have stock.

I'm just stopping the custom orders. Its twice the work, and too frequently, the order is simply cancelled. Folks can't eat knives, so thats OK. But I can't eat orders. There is no money in them, so they've been stopped.
Thanks for clarifying that Andy, it was kinda hard to decipher the OP....
............for me anyway. :thumbup: :)

You sound kinda stressed my friend..... don't "blow a gasket", take some time to relax now and then. That is just a friendly suggestion. :) ;)

I can only imagine how much stress this new policy will eliminate. :thumbup:

Good move on your part!!!

Dealing with people who change their mind every other day about what they want or don't want had to be a nightmare at best.... :eek: ;)

Congratulations on your new policy and best wishes for continued success!!! :thumbup:
chuck

Ceasing the custom orders does indicate a certain level of name-recognition and market share has been achieved. Not surprising, given the quality of Andy's work - I'm glad to see it. It probably also means that, as a knifemaker, he enjoys creating his own designs....and spending the rest of his time with his family! I'm not even a knifemaker and I know that if I invested in a KMG and all the other tools to make knives, I'm going to make what is in MY head! :) Especially if people are buying it! I bet the profit margin on custom orders is slim to none, and full-time knifemakers do care about profit margin. I don't think anyone can complain about that. I care about that sort of thing, myself! ;)

Last edited:
Back