Oregon Knifemakers List

Hey Nick I guess we could have a list "just alittle over or under the line":D Then that turns into the Pacific NW list, then those guys in Sac. and B.C.
what do ya do with them?

That's a good point... but I thought you guys were essentially talking about makers that are close enough to visit and such. Seems like a lot of the guys are from the Portland area. Just for an example, according to google maps, that looks like about 5 hours from Portland to Central Point... It's an hour from Portland, OR, to Castle Rock, WA. :)

I am trying to identify an old time knife maker. I respect the fact that this is a thread of posts has been aging gracefully since the end of 2011.
After looking through this list, evidently my recall is worse than senior moment memory loss.
The gentleman I am trying to identify has passed away.
Some of the distinguishing characteristics of his work are:
1) well established in Oregon
2) well known outside the NW region
3) made knives and cutlery
4) both pre & post WWII
5) distinctive sleek modern aluminum handles
6) his blades made almost exclusively from used saw mill planner knives
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Thank you very very much. You are spot-on; it IS David Zephaniah Murphy. I just could not drag his name out of the deep recesses of my memory. Memory is a funny thing. I could remember his connection to Gerber and his making combat knives in WWII...but it was a more clear recollection of his household cutlery. Again thanks.
Best regards

Although not as well known, actually not known at all, I live closer than Nick (Battle Ground). Can I be in your club?

Tim Barney (TDB Knives)

Back