Origin of the word 'SPEY' for a castrating knife blade

Another word meaning 'neuter' is 'SPAY', every source I have looked at spells it 'SPAY'. Anyone know why the castrating blade on a knife is spelt 'SPEY'?

It’s because knives are older than Noah Webster.

The OED gives us the verb spay, meaning "To operate upon (a female, esp. the female of certain animals) so as to remove the ovaries and destroy the reproductive power."

It lists Middle English versions of the word as spaie, spaye, spey, and spade.

Interesting question. In Yorkshire we also call a spayed a spayed ;)

It’s because knives are older than Noah Webster.

laughingchimpsmall.gif

Another word meaning 'neuter' is 'SPAY', every source I have looked at spells it 'SPAY'. Anyone know why the castrating blade on a knife is spelt 'SPEY'?

Male animals: spey.

Female animals: spay.

You won't find spey or most other cutlery terms in dictionaries, not even "unabridged," not even unatunneled.

In stock raising, dairy farming, etc., only males are neutered. Spey.

In pet raising, mainly females are neutered -- hence the more common use of spay. These days, way more folks keep pets than raise livestock, or live storks, either.

BRL...
-Bernard Levine

Spaying usually refers to female animals, not male animals. A "spey rod" is a type of fly fishing pole named after the Spey River in Scotland. I wonder if people not knowing any better looked at "spey" and assumed it meant "neuter" and that there's really a different meaning?

Spaying usually refers to female animals, not male animals. A "spey rod" is a type of fly fishing pole named after the Spey River in Scotland. I wonder if people not knowing any better looked at "spey" and assumed it meant "neuter" and that there's really a different meaning?

'Spey' or 'Spay', I think it's pretty clear what that blade is for! :eek: :)

I wonder if people not knowing any better looked at "spey" and assumed it meant "neuter" and that there's really a different meaning?

Since the purpose of that knife blade is in fact, to neuter, I think they were probably ok with that assumption.

Maybe so, maybe not. Other than the Levine quote above, I can't easily find any reference that claims that "spey" = male animals and "spay" = female. Even going back to very old dictionaries, the word "spay" always refers to females.

But it seems to be the current assumption so why fight it. I can't come up with any other plausible explanation at the moment.

Maybe so, maybe not. Other than the Levine quote above, I can't easily find any reference that claims that "spey" = male animals and "spay" = female. Even going back to very old dictionaries, the word "spay" always refers to females.

But it seems to be the current assumption so why fight it. I can't come up with any other plausible explanation at the moment.

Specialized terms can be tricky. I read a biography of Franklin. His biggest contribution to The Declaration of Independence was to have Jefferson change inalienable to unalienable.

Grammar Nazis insist Ben made a mistake. Not even the OED recognizes the difference.

But in Franklin’s day it was a legal distinction. Inalienable rights could not be taken away, but could be given up. Unalienable rights could not be lost under any circumstance.

When you’re paper is all about the God given Rights of Man, that’s a difference that makes a difference.

Spey and spay may be similarly obscure terms of art.

I thought it was the sheep's foot that was used for casterating, so when they stick the blade in around there that it doesn't penetrate the inner thy.

Just like a lot of those marlin spike knives are blunt, so they dont bump into another crew member and accidently cut them.

Just what I have heard though.

Gotta love Bernard Levine. I've never known anyone who used a sheepsfoot for castrating, but I'm sure there are some.

This thread makes me hurt. I never could bring myself to castrate with my pocket knife. We used rubber bands on our livestock.

Back