Osprey Knife and Tool Shop Talk and Information Swap

Until Chris has time to respond, here are my guesses for a handful of his models (using one of his WIP pics).

1. Apache EDC; 2. EDU; 3. EDU; 4. EDU; 5. Mamushi; 6. Warthog EDC; 7. Warthog EDC; 8. Warthog Hunter

Osprey_01_zpsuzznmlpr.jpg

And I couldn't resist comparing these Warthog cousins.

Warthog Hunter (image borrowed from Shamr0ck)

Warthog%20Hunter_01_zpstdasrj8w.jpg

Warthog EDC (image borrowed from VanDammet)

Warthog%20EDC_01_zpsfjy1sjas.jpg

Kirkwood,

Thank you very much! You nailed it perfectly. I will work on a pictures and Specs list of each model and post it soon. I appreciate the help answerimg These questions and providing this information.

I will be able to respond to you guys and provide more information later in the week when I have mre time available the first half of the week is pretty busy for me at Fiddleback .Thank you for your patience and Understanding.

Chris

Great thread! Posting pics is super helpful.

First up, Triple T, are your hands that steady? Or are you using a tripod/bipod/monopod or other means to get those razor-sharp high rez photos? Super images.

Chris, the hammered flats is a great finish. Really dig it.

Coatings:
Agree with Raja on coatings. Cerakote (or any blade coating) tends to be a practical choice for non-stainless knives, and if you are going to both use the knife and you truly don't care what it looks like, then coatings on non-stainless knives makes sense. For me personally, I think coatings look bad after even a little use, and I'd rather take care of a non-stainless knife w/ oil. But I can see how people who are truly rough users of knives in situations where they are outdoors for extended periods (e.g. military), are unable to take care of a non-stainless blade for an extended period (e.g. military again), or around salt water, would want a coating to help with corrosion. That's a pretty small percentage of knife buyers for most makers, but could be important for your customer base.

The newer blade coatings are certainly a lot harder and thinner, and wear better than some of the early blade coatings (thinking of the early Benchmade coatings that felt like they were Teflon-based and abraded off readily), but still, no comparison to the look of a belt-grind or hand-rubbed finish.

Depending on how much the Cerakote equipment costs, I can think of a lot of other things a knife maker might spend money on before a coating system that are more worthwhile (including "indirect" equipment, like a good digital camera, tripod, diffusion lighting, suitable computer). Suspect you can subcontract the coating to others for a good long while before the equipment would pay for itself (I'd be thinking of a 1-2 year payout, or it's not worth it). I really like the look of a belt ground finish on a blade over a stonewashed (tumbled) or beadblast finish, as a side note... with a coating a last place choice.

Thanks to all the OK&T owners who are posting pics... much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys,
It was a extremely wet day today at the shop we have been under a flood warning all weekend.
I spend a great deal of time hammering my flats to achieve the desired look.
I am planning on trying some new techniques in the future.

Thanks you for sharing your pictures! Keep them coming please
What's coming up new for me.

I have been experimenting quietly over the past few months on my Hamon and Etching plan to see more W2 and 1095 with Hamon from me on a limited basis.

I also have a Kiridashi I am planning on making this weekend I will share with you guys how the first one goes.

I also wanted to know how much interest there is In Cerokote on the knives Id Like to invest in the equipment but it is rather expensive. If there is enough genuine intrest I'll look into starting a small batch.

I am currently developing a smaller knife in the under.6" category , and a few larger knives I am currently refining too. I plan to upload more pictures to this thread in the near future once I get a fotki account established and am able to purchase a suitable camera and computer. For now my phone suffices.

I'll check in regularly.

I can guarantee a buyer for that Kiridashi, sight unseen. Being familiar with your work I have no doubt it'll kick a$$ .......... Sub sixes ... yes

Is there a comparison shot available between the Apache and Warthog? My searching hasn't turned up one.

Really cool stuff, Chris!!! I'm excited about my OK&T that's on her way to get pants.

-Will

I have both, but unfortunately they are not with me at the moment. I will try to get pics up when I get back.

Just as an estimate, the Apache os Bushfinger size and the Wharhog is Hiking Buddy size.

Have a knife on the way from Chris that he made for my wife. Can't wait to get it!

Donovan,
Share some pictures of it with us when you get a chance, And you and your wife's opinion. Always enjoy seeing other people perspectives, and opinions of my work.

Chris

I have both, but unfortunately they are not with me at the moment. I will try to get pics up when I get back.

Just as an estimate, the Apache os Bushfinger size and the Wharhog is Hiking Buddy size.

You Are Correct! But that just gives you a General Idea. I am working on compiling a comprehensive list of my work with Photos and Descriptions, If anyone has any reference shots they could provide until then that would be a great help.

I am also planning on making one each of my models in just plan Black Micarta to keep around for Photo and size references. I would also be open to sending them out on a pass around too, if there is enough interest. I like the Idea of people getting there hands on my knives and using them and abusing them without worrying about marring their knife. I strive to make beautiful knives but I also build them to handle some serious use if the user desires to do so.

Last edited:
I can guarantee a buyer for that Kiridashi, sight unseen. Being familiar with your work I have no doubt it'll kick a$$ .......... Sub sixes ... yes

Made The First Kiridashi Prototype today, Its has some gnarly hammer texturing in it, I am going to heat treat it this weekend and put the final touches on it. I am keeping the first one I will share pictures and I will make a batch soon.

Here's my APACHE EDC that I recently received. Only photos for now as I havn't had time to play with it. Will post an update.
Needless to say how good the handle ergonomics and F&F are.
DSCF6205_zpsmlacw1uq.jpg

DSCF6208_zpspnk6t0wx.jpg

Great Pics Abe! I really like your eye for Photography!!

Chris, I really like the work that you're doing. I also have to say that the reviews of your knives have been stellar so far. I'm just waiting for the right one to pop up. If I'm gonna start another addiction it's gotta start off right. :D

Back