OTHER (not so obvious) uses for SAK Tools

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while but I've been browsing the threads and thought I'd start one to see if I could learn something new or share something others may not know.

I know that SAK tools have their specific uses (ie: cap lifter for opening bottles, awl for punching holes in leather... etc...). Some tools however can be used for a totally unrelated task to their original intended purpose:

For example, when carrying say a Compact model and wishing to have a nail cleaner (like the ones on the tips of the nail files of the sportsman or the cadet), one can actually use the tip of the corkscrew. I've always liked the nail cleaner on my sportsman and found it lacking on the compact (even though the compact does have a nail file behind the all purpose hook). I believe in using the right tool for the job, but in a pinch, you have to use what you've got on you.

Anyone care to share any tips, tricks, secret uses, not so secret uses for Victorinox Tools? :)

The can opener tool make a great large staple remover. This large copper stables that hold appliance boxes shut. It also makes a good pot hook for taking a pot off the hook thats hanging over a campfire. The small flat screw driver tip on the can opener works great as a flat phillips screw driver on medium and large screws.

The awl on the alox models makes a great cutter for zip ties and plastic stopping on stuff. You just slip the awl under the zip tie or strap and twist so the cutting edge is up and cut right through the plastic tie. The edge of the awl is like an auxiliary cutting edge with it's chisel grind. Good for stripping wire and cutting twine. The awl also is a very good drill for making starter holes for wood screws. The awl on the alox SAK's is one of the most versatile tools.

The SD tipped nail file on the little classic is also a grab phillips screw driver, as is the nail file on the alox cadet.

I often use the large screwdriver/bottle opener tool as a light prying tool to open resealable cardboard boxes (like cereal boxes), etc. Either Alox or Cellidor models' bottle opener tool will work for this, though the Alox models' is thicker/a bit stronger.

Sometimes I use the nail-nick side of the large blade as a makeshift mirror to look at my face. The reason I tend to use the nail-nick side is because of the blade crinking, that side gives a less warped reflection.

I use the edge of the can opener blade as a light scraping tool to scrape that waxy stuff off of apples before washing them.

Jim

The can opener tool make a great large staple remover. This large copper stables that hold appliance boxes shut. It also makes a good pot hook for taking a pot off the hook thats hanging over a campfire.

Cool! It never crossed my mind to use it as a staple remover. Most SAKs have the can opener and if you're like me, I barely use it. It's good to know it has other uses aside from being a 2D phillips :thumbup:

I often use the large screwdriver/bottle opener tool as a light prying tool to open resealable cardboard boxes (like cereal boxes), etc. Either Alox or Cellidor models' bottle opener tool will work for this, though the Alox models' is thicker/a bit stronger.

I too use the bottle opener as a light prying tool. It comes in handy with biscuit tins and coffee tins :)

I too use the bottle opener as a light prying tool. It comes in handy with biscuit tins and coffee tins :)

Not to mention small cans of putty for minor repairs on stuff. The screw driver bottle opener is a great putty and varnish can opener.

I've used the can opener to gently scrape paint from a window. I've used the hook to help loosen theater knots when removing velor drape from hanging truss, it worked a bit like a lever marlin spike.

Corkscrew is the tool of choice for untying hard knots in bootlaces, rope and twine. If Alexander of Macedon had been Swiss, he would have untied the Gordian knot with his Swiss Army sword's corkscrew instead of cutting it with the blade.

alexander-gordian-knot3.jpg

Wire bender combined with knife as a wire striper. Awl as a ferro rod striker. Can opener as a heavy wire bender. Flat head as a sticker peeler/scraper. Awl as a package opener.

Using the screwdriver or can opener to open a can of soda just slip either tool under the ring and lift carefully and the can is open.

Lay your (closed) alox handled knife over a nail head, strike with the heel your paddock boot to drive the nail back into the floor and impress the cute girl.
Works every time, may leave character (dents) on your handle.

Lay your (closed) alox handled knife over a nail head, strike with the heel your paddock boot to drive the nail back into the floor and impress the cute girl.
Works every time, may leave character (dents) on your handle.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I've hammered tacks and small finishing nails with a Pioneer's backspring.

Discovered another handy use for the can opener - Using it to split a keyring when adding keys, edc items etc... :)

Back