Outdoor/survival/backpacking SAK...

I'm trying to pick and choose which tools I think I'd want on the ideal SAK for outdoor purposes, and have come to the conclusion that both the saw and the scissors would be ideal. Unfortunately it appears as though none of the smaller models (I don't want one of the huge 50 tool deals) have both. Am I missing something?

What about the Victorinox Outrider? It's big, has a locking blade, scissors, and a BIG saw! The Victorinox Huntsman also fits the bill. :)

I just got the Fieldmaster- it's basicly the Huntsman minus the corkscrew with a phillips screwdriver instead.

I'm trying to pick and choose which tools I think I'd want on the ideal SAK for outdoor purposes, and have come to the conclusion that both the saw and the scissors would be ideal. Unfortunately it appears as though none of the smaller models (I don't want one of the huge 50 tool deals) have both. Am I missing something?

Huntsman or Fieldmaster would be great (only difference is that the Huntsman has a corkscrew vs. Fieldmaster's Phillips-head). I went with the Huntsman partly because I found a great price on it and partly because I use the corkscrew lots for dinking with rope and knots.

IMG00585-20100704-1623.jpg

I like the one with the pliers (though I don't own one) if I wasn't bringing a multi-tool. Pliers are excellent for repairs.

I used to prefer the Phillips over the corkscrew until I learned that the tip of the can opener is designed to fit Phillips head screws.

Like you, I use the saw and scissors often. I prefer a locking blade, so the I carry a Victorinox Outrider.

I did buy a Picnicker but I missed the scissors too much; now it lives in a drawer at home. I really should sell it.

B

I carry a swisschamp. Never know when i'll need a saw for trap making or cutting timber, or a magnifying glass for fire making or any of the tools for fixing gear, whether it's electronic or not. I've used everything on the knife.

I carry a swisschamp. Never know when i'll need a saw for trap making or cutting timber, or a magnifying glass for fire making or any of the tools for fixing gear, whether it's electronic or not. I've used everything on the knife.

For the weight of the Swisschamp, it's easier just to carry a multitool and a dedicated magnifying glass in my opinion. The multitool gives you locking blades and more robust pliers and tools.

For the weight of the Swisschamp, it's easier just to carry a multitool and a dedicated magnifying glass in my opinion. The multitool gives you locking blades and more robust pliers and tools.

I carry a swisstool also :). I've at one point carried a swisstool, swisschamp & buck 110. The added weight doesn't bother me since it's on my belt. If i was wearing a pack and had to be weight concious i would, but who cares about a little extra weight, i have the tools so ill use em.

One Hand Trekker... doesn't have a scissors...but with a good sharp blade who needs a scissors anyway....

One Hand Trekker... doesn't have a scissors...but with a good sharp blade who needs a scissors anyway....

I tend to agree with this philosophy. You mentioned outdoor use but my everywhere EDC is almost always a 111mm Vic Hunter or Rucksack in my pocket and a Classic on my keys. This way I get the slim package I want and still have scissors, (as well as a 2nd scary sharp blade). There is absolutely nothing wrong with the SAK slipjoints. I just prefer the larger lockers.

Farmer and a Classic. Farmer for large blade, awl and saw, Classic for scissors and tweezers (scissors are very useful for moleskin or trimming loose fibres). Pair it with a keychain sharpener and you're set.

IMHO I don't like the one-handed Trekker as the serrations on the main blade SUCK to sharpen when in the bush. I've also had a few shear off.

Huntsman is also one of my preferred SAKs for the outdoors. Though I will say that if I'm out overnight then I almost always have a fixed blade on my person as well.

Aye this will definitely be used in conjunction with a fixed blade. I have an original Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool with a great pair of pliars, but no saw. I figured a pair wouldn't be a bad idea, as light and small as the traditional styled SAKs are. I'll admit I don't know much about or have any experience with the one hand and locking designs. I guess I'm just looking for the traditional boat tailed slipjoint models. A SwissTool is on the distant want list but I have a good collection of multitools already. I too like the corkscrew for use as a marlin's spike when working with knots and line.

Mine isn't made yet. I prefer the durability of the Alox models (tough scales/thicker blades).

I really like my Farmer, but for true woods use I would switch out the bottle opener and can opener for sheep's foot and spay blades. That would be my ultimate woods running folder (as a matter of fact, if they end up making one they should call it that, the Woods Runner) ;~)

Back