outdoors fun with a wsk

knoefz

Basic Member
Went to play outside with my tracker knife today ....
took some pics to get you all exited as I know this knife design isn't getting much love on these forums ;) .

RS6_101.JPG

RS6_100.JPG

this is where the tracker design is unbeatable... drawing thin wood curls that light up with the spark of a firesteel.
RS6_107.JPG

makes you have tinder whenever you have wood around
RS6_112.JPG

splitting to get some thin sticks
RS6_105.JPG

or like this
RS6_111.JPG

My tinder bundle ready to catch a spark
RS6_106.JPG

started easy, the wood curls caught fire before the dried grass and the fluffy stuff
RS6_108.JPG

RS6_113.JPG

RS6_114.JPG

RS6_116.JPG

everything's zen now :)
RS6_117.JPG

But, but , but the guy with the really distinctive voice on YT said it was just a gimmick!?!:eek:

JK, its a well proven design, anyone hating on it is best ingnored. Never tried one myself, and not willing to pay the price to do so (don't tell anyone but I've yet to spend north of $60 on a single knife), but you'll never catch me trash talking it. Nice photos, and a good demonstration of some of its common uses.

Hard to beat some fun outside with just a knife, a stick and a firesteel :D

TrackerFire_00.jpg

TrackerFire_01.jpg

TrackerFire_02.jpg

TrackerFire_04.jpg

TrackerFire_03.jpg

TrackerFire_05.jpg

TrackerFire_07.jpg

TrackerFire_06.jpg

I unexpectedly traded into a TB1 Tracker (after recently declaring "no new knives for me" and espousing the virtues of my newly acquired Mora and SAK:D). It was a pretty good deal. Too good to pass on really. I tested it with some Yardcraft:) "Yardcraft" isn't copyrighted is it? It performed quite well, even with the original factory edge. Actually, it did very well and balances nicely. I'd swear it's nowhere near the stated 28 oz. weight.

tracker%202-25-15%20002_zpsq15pyp9q.jpg

tracker%202-25-15%20005_zps2qvch1ku.jpg

My youngest son wanted a shelter, so a shelter he got! He's hiding in there.
tracker%202-25-15%20003_zpsapjgh3im.jpg

tracker%202-25-15%20007_zpsyle1zqwp.jpg

tracker%202-25-15%20008_zpsbsznj4a8.jpg

I've always wanted to try the original Dave Beck version which I noticed he is selling again. It just looks so much more refined to me than the others on the market today.

Other than the fact that it is ugly as all get out and heavy as a brick, I would be interested in trying one. Still, a Mora lover has a hard time with something that, umm... I really don't know what to call it. But, it looks like it works none-the-less.

Other than the fact that it is ugly as all get out and heavy as a brick, I would be interested in trying one. Still, a Mora lover has a hard time with something that, umm... I really don't know what to call it. But, it looks like it works none-the-less.

It oddly feels much lighter than it is. A comparably weighted khukuri would draw complaints from me during use. The compactness of this design makes it less tiresome (though less effective as a chopper as well). The design is really growing on me, even the looks. I recommend withholding final judgment until you've spent some time with one. My buddy has had one for quite a while and gave me a crash course in WSK use. A big part of it was get you hand off the handle for a lot of tasks. It works.

I'm giving this one a fair chance. I can carry a khuk, Mora, and SAK for less weight, but with this in a scout style sheath (which I'm working on), it should disappear. It's been fun so far and that's what this stuff is all about.

I would love to try one one day. Still, I don't have enough money to go around buying all kinds of knives. Oh well, I can dream right?

In all honesty, I had never really been much of a fan about a TB tracker and also admittedly, it's because of "that movie." The movie completely misrepresented the use of the blade. It was used as a combat knife, not as a survival blade [as was meant] and I was completely turned off by the hype and movie-marketing that is what sold it.

Scan forward a few years. I have a friend who bought the large version. Excited about it, he sends me pics in email and I was like, "dude...wtf did you waste your money on that for??" He got all kinds of PO'd at me, daring me to come over and look at it first-hand. So I did.

well...he hands me the knife and leads me out back and he said something that made me actually rethink my position on the blade...

"I know you don't like it because of the 'hype' thing and that's fine. The movie portrayed it as a combat knife but I'm asking you to think about it ONLY as it pertains to woods-craft and hunting/camping-type survival." I was like, "fine."....still looking at this thing with what I can only describe as "epic stink-face."

So there I am in his back yard for about 5 hours - sawing, feathering, hacking, batonning, chopping and skinning a [pretty fat] squirrel with it.

I actually tried to rethink a strategy on how to completely hate that blade....and he new it LOL.

Problem was I really couldn't....not in terms of what the knife was actually created for - versus what it's not intended to do [the movie thing].

Now my own impressions after having handled it for some time were that it was way too thick for processing small game...at least for my taste. Yes it processed it but the [factory-ish/only slightly retouched] edge just wasn't sharp [or thin] enough to do what I wanted. It did it though, just not like my skinner [which is honed to a straight razor's edge]. To make the TB better [for me], the forward arc/edge would [IMO] have to be re-profiled a lot thinner than it is.

Batonning was pretty easy to do but was exceedingly harsh on the baton because of the saw. I literally replaced the baton 3 times in those few hours....but it did do the job well.

The saw - really makes notches in wood but that's about it. The saw itself isn't long enough to get a good stroke on for felling even 3" saplings - BUT...it's great at making tie-down locations for guy lines, general notches and such.

Feathering and using it as a "draw knife" was easy and effortless. Gotta give it that...

Digging in and prying wood open was easy to do because I had no worries the thick blade would break. BUT....the pommel area of the handle isn't suited for hammering on.

Weight distribution was something I had to reason out. Unwieldy in the hand for things like skinning small game but it was great for swinging/chopping and feathering.

Even though it was very well made, I was not a fan of the stock sheath. I would have preferred it be seated into one of the "monster sheaths" that hold Altoids tins, etc.

So I asked myself, "Still hate it?" and had to answer "no." I then asked myself, "Could I live with it in the woods" and I had to answer "yes" - but I also have to counter that with "but I already have tools better suited for my specific jobs."

If you were to apply the "one-tool-option" suggestion then yes, I suppose this knife would fit that category - but I cannot personally justify spending the $300+ on something that only does part of what I want - I'd have to modify some of the things to make it work for me.

Thanks for the honest reviews here. I don't like heavy axes or framing hammers but I know they are great for their designated purposes and that any problems I have are from lack of practice. Same with the tracker knife, I suspect. It's a really cool tool box in one fixed blade. Look forward to trying one someday.

Zieg

I would love to try one one day. Still, I don't have enough money to go around buying all kinds of knives. Oh well, I can dream right?

Even after playing with my buddy's, I wasn't that interested. Then, as it slowly grew on me, I started watching the exchanges. I saw several go at good prices, a little over $100, but with significant wear, totally worn tip meaning they were thrown a bunch, or obviously re-worked bevels. The re-worked bevels can be fine (or better) IF done right, but there are plenty of maniacs out there with grinders:stupid: So, as I watched half interested, I finally saw a good deal involving a trade of items I didn't use and some cash. They appear often enough that you should be able to grab a decently priced one if you keep an eye out. Good luck.

Ohhhh, that looks like fun. Fire ban where I am now. :( But that is one beast of a blade :thumbup: and it feathers! I am still a mora guy but if I ever find the need for a bigger knife that is looking pretty dern tempting.

There's an "as new" TOPS TB1 on the exchange right now...:)

ETA: There was one...:)

Last edited:
I made a sheath for my Tracker. It's working pretty well so far. I'm not sure how I'll like the scout style, but I plan to give it a chance. The Tops TB1 is a heavy knife. In use, you don't notice it very much. On your belt, you do. The scout sheath is purported to help with that. We'll see... I posted a more in depth thread on the sheath in the Sheaths and Such section. Take care.

tracker%20sheath%20013_zpsqvud3ep5.jpg

Back