• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Over a year, nothing from maker, what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not good, but not that unusual with custom makers. Many over promise on due dates and have poor communication(strangely only after they get the deposit). Making knives and running a business are 2 different skills. I am not familiar with your maker, so I know no specifics on him.
Good new/bad news-since your deposit was so small he will likely surface again. It could be next week or it could be years from now, but unless he has lost your record he will seek out the rest of the money for the knife at some time-that is the good news. Bad news he is going to ask you to send the rest of the money owed before sending out a knife. This is reasonable, but can you trust him at this stage. When that time comes and if you are still interested, I would request photos of your finished knife before sending any more money. Don't send more money on the promise your knife will be finished soon-could happen, but I have heard that one before.
There are many talented makers that can also run there business well, but there are plenty that can't also. The newer they are to the business the greater the chance of a negative experience-though all were new at one time.
Just some general info learned the hard way

Last edited:
That's too bad you are having trouble with Ryan. He is a good guy and I've never heard anything negative about him.
I hope that he gets back to you with an update. Really want this to be a positive outcome for everyone involved.

I'm not asking anyone to play a game. I thought there was a chance someone would see the dates/deposit % and would be in the same boat.

Maker is Ryan W. Knives.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks. Hadn't ever heard of him before but I checked out his web site and was honestly impressed by some of his work. I hope he makes this right by you so rep doesn't take a hit. GBU provides us a valuable service but really only works if names get named. Hope there's a positive update on this.

I did hear from Ryan. Here and via email, so things look to be back on track.

I'm not going to explain his situation, he can do that if he chooses to. I'll lock this in a couple days either way.

A friend pointed this out to me, I have not been on Bladeforums for a few years... I take full responsibility for the lack of communication on this order. Time in shop has been dramatically reduced due to the death of my father and me trying to maintain the family business.

I have contacted jceckrosh and are hopefully back on track for a quick solution. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Ryan

Thanks for checking in and providing the update, Ryan. Sorry to hear about your loss. I look forward to the possibility of doing business with you one of these days. Wishing you and yours all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back