Pacific Salt glamour shots with 400 lb Goliath Grouper

That was excellent! Thanks for sharing the video and all of your information about H-1 knives on this forum.

got to ask....catch and release or keep? if kept howd ya get it in the kayak?

nicely done there.

Last edited:
Haha, I had to watch the video more than once to find the knife. Sweet fish for sure, and a good workout too!

Release for sure. That fish is probably older than I am. I’d have had to lash him to the kayak with rope and drag him in.
Shades of Old Man And The Sea (Hemingway).
Would you have made it back before the sharks ate it ? . . . and maybe you ?
Everybody gets all about Old Man And The Sea (from reading biogs about him I think he wrote Old Man just to prove he could plug in the right elements any time he wanted and win a Nobel Prize)(he didn't accept it by the way).
I prefer Across the River And Into The Trees (I've read it many times and all of his other books)

Heck of a fish Lance, can't believe you got that in on spinning tackle. In Florida the big GG (jewfish back then) hung out offshore around wrecks or structure. Would never get a big one in on spinning tackle. We used 6/0 or larger reels with monel leader when targeting GG and would still lose them. You must not have much structure where you're fishing. They've been protected in Florida since the late 80's or early 90's. Strictly catch and release. Can't even bring on board. You musta been ready to roll out de kayak after catching that one. :D Nice shot of the Pacific Salt too. Really enjoy your video's. Keep'em coming.

Heck of a fish Lance, can't believe you got that in on spinning tackle. In Florida the big GG (jewfish back then) hung out offshore around wrecks or structure. Would never get a big one in on spinning tackle. We used 6/0 or larger reels with monel leader when targeting GG and would still lose them. You must not have much structure where you're fishing. They've been protected in Florida since the late 80's or early 90's. Strictly catch and release. Can't even bring on board. You musta been ready to roll out de kayak after catching that one. :D Nice shot of the Pacific Salt too. Really enjoy your video's. Keep'em coming.

Thanks Tdog, you know, spin gear has really evolved a lot over the last 10-15 years. Guys are catching giant BFT (well over 500 lb) these days with spinning reels. Heck, that little Penn Slammer 5500 I’m using in the video has a 40 lb brake.

That was caught on an outer reef with a nasty bottom. I get smoked by 50 lb Snapper there all the time. I managed to nurse this guy out of the rocks a few times and eventually dragged him into deeper water away from the reef. Knowing the reef helped but I’d still put it at 1 part knowledge, 5 parts luck.

Regarding them being protected...not here. We can kill and eat them but it’s rare for me to catch one and I usually cut em loose. I do eat one occasionally just to make the Florida boys squeal on the internet...and because they’re delicious.

p.s. I’m pretending to be more barbarous than I really am. I’ve killed exactly ONE in my life and he was gill hooked and bleeding. Wasn’t kidding about the delicious part though. Best fish I’ve ever eaten.

Massive!!! Nice work and work out. Cool to see/have the video too. In the old days that would have been just another fish story!

Back