Packing cubes

Hotshot10

Gold Member
Does anyone use packing cubes or organizer pouches while backpacking? I have some gear that I'd like to organize because I switch it from my car to my day pack or backpack fairly frequently. For instance, I have some first aid stuff that I'd like to keep together. I'd like to keep my cookware, stove, and fuel together in another cube / pouch / whatever.

I'd appreciate some recommendations.

I use mesh ditty bags and dry-bags for organizing while packing, since the goal is always weight reduction. Packing cubes work best in a suitcase, and so the benefits are lost in a backpack (you won't just be taking the cube out to put in in a dresser drawer)

I have a red drybag for my first aid, orange for survival/odds ends. thermal layers are kept in a sealine MAC bag (or whatever the surplus vented bags are called) sleeping gear goes in a sea-to-summit event compression bag. Food goes in dry-bags, along with stove kit. Fewer dry-bags and more mesh when its a dry walk (just pack liner) and more dry-bags for wet, paddle or similar trips. Since I often walk as a guide, I NEED bomber gear, so I end up a little on the heavy side. For the average guy, you can get away with a lot less. and its often easier to find multiple colors and sizes of simpler bags, without breaking the bank.

The advantage with drybags and mesh-string top bags is color coding is pretty easy. You can also do straight nylon string close bags as a lighter option. Its easy to add several pounds to your kit in bomb-proof drybags, but you often don't need them, depending on how you pack your gear, and other conditions. Where I work we use a system of color coded draw-string bags for stuff like kitchen kit, spare ropes and repair, and toilet gear.

I've used ziplocks for decades. Water proof. Easily combined when/if necessary. Easily doubled bagged when/if necessary. You can see what's in them. And gives something for packing out your garbage.

As an aside, if possible keep your fuel in an outside pocket vs in the interior of the pack.

Kifaru Pull Outs, the light weight ones. They used to come in 500d Cordura and high speck silnylon. Not cubes, but good for organising. Since they are a long way away from where I live, (shipping is a PITA) I made something similar from white silnylon. I like the zippered format better than stuff sacks, but if you can sew, you can make a box shape version of a Pull-Out which is even nicer for bulky items. The nice thing about the pull out shape is they stack well in a pack. Better than packed full stuff sacks or packing cubes.

Gadgetgeek is spot on. Beware that however light the organiser bags are, the weight adds up! Try to use as few as you can get away with, and if you have more than one of the same shape and size, code them somehow so you can find things with less rummaging. Lots of small bags that all look the same are as bad as no organization at all.

I use mesh ditty bags and dry-bags for organizing while packing, since the goal is always weight reduction. Packing cubes work best in a suitcase, and so the benefits are lost in a backpack (you won't just be taking the cube out to put in in a dresser drawer)

I have a red drybag for my first aid, orange for survival/odds ends. thermal layers are kept in a sealine MAC bag (or whatever the surplus vented bags are called) sleeping gear goes in a sea-to-summit event compression bag. Food goes in dry-bags, along with stove kit. Fewer dry-bags and more mesh when its a dry walk (just pack liner) and more dry-bags for wet, paddle or similar trips. Since I often walk as a guide, I NEED bomber gear, so I end up a little on the heavy side. For the average guy, you can get away with a lot less. and its often easier to find multiple colors and sizes of simpler bags, without breaking the bank.

The advantage with drybags and mesh-string top bags is color coding is pretty easy. You can also do straight nylon string close bags as a lighter option. Its easy to add several pounds to your kit in bomb-proof drybags, but you often don't need them, depending on how you pack your gear, and other conditions. Where I work we use a system of color coded draw-string bags for stuff like kitchen kit, spare ropes and repair, and toilet gear.

The mesh-string-top bags seem like a good option. I was thinking dry bags would be too heavy if I had more than one.

Kifaru Pull Outs, the light weight ones. They used to come in 500d Cordura and high speck silnylon. Not cubes, but good for organising. Since they are a long way away from where I live, (shipping is a PITA) I made something similar from white silnylon. I like the zippered format better than stuff sacks, but if you can sew, you can make a box shape version of a Pull-Out which is even nicer for bulky items. The nice thing about the pull out shape is they stack well in a pack. Better than packed full stuff sacks or packing cubes.

Huh. Those Pull Outs look pretty much exactly like what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to compare them to the mesh bags.

Kifaru Pull Outs, the light weight ones.

ditto...my review here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/986753-review-kifaru-ultralight-pullouts

ku_pullout_x-large_01.jpg

Drybags are great for your dedicated first aid kits, and stuff like that. I sort gear into "need to waterproof" and "intrinsically waterproof" as in, my stove and pot can get wet, it won't much matter. sleeping bag... that's gotta stay dry.

Drybags are great for your dedicated first aid kits, and stuff like that. I sort gear into "need to waterproof" and "intrinsically waterproof" as in, my stove and pot can get wet, it won't much matter. sleeping bag... that's gotta stay dry.

Good thinking. Yeah, I'd not be happy if my sleeping bag were drenched. Are you guiding in a rainy climate?

stuff sacks of all sizes from 2 liter to 30 liter for FAK to clothing and food and cook kits

Sub-tropical, so heavy rain is always a possibility, but some trips are a combo walk/paddle, so sometimes you have to be ready for anything.

I use the Granite Gear Air Zippsacks (and Zippditty) and Outdoor Research Ultralight zip sacks. They are very similar to the Kifaru Ultralight Pullouts and also made from semi-translucent sil-nylon ripstop fabric but the ones from Granite Gear and Outdoor Research have waterproof zippers. I also use the roll down sil-nylon stuff sacks and compression bags from various makers. Outdoor Research also makes a Backcountry Organizer zippered multi-compartment sil-nylon pouch (not waterproof zippers) in different sizes which works well for organizing first-aid, camp kitchen or survival gear.

For larger items like my sleeping bag or down jacket I do not. I find its better to just stuff it in and let it fill up the corners.

For food and other looses item I use the SEATOSUMMIT bags.

For first aid items or for my small survival kit that goes everywhere with me, I vacuum seal it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I sure like those Kifaru bags, and there are other nice ones available out there. I'm still packing in large ZipLock bags though. Dirt cheap, perform well, see through and pack easily. I can't justify spending up to $20 a bag that won't perform any better than one for a few cents.

I sure like those Kifaru bags, and there are other nice ones available out there. I'm still packing in large ZipLock bags though. Dirt cheap, perform well, see through and pack easily. I can't justify spending up to $20 a bag that won't perform any better than one for a few cents.
Exactly/. Plus you can pack and seal smaller bags and seal multiples of those in larger bags. As an example, in winter I pack two pair of wool boot socks each in a small ziplock, a wool USN deck sweater in a ziplock, and then all three of those ziplocks into a gallon ziplock. The cost is next to nothing, can see the contents, and they're waterproof. What more can I ask for?

Back