Paddling into 2013

Here are the specs as I found them:

Ted Bell is producing a limited number of canoes again but none of the David Yost designs from the former Bell Canoe Works.

Correction, ALL Yost designs without shouldered tumblehome, with the exception of the Magic; it is the same boat as always.:thumbup:

His new website isn't developed yet, but I did find a youtube video showing the "new" Northwind 17. And Rapid Media Canoeing has an article which shows and describes that one and the Northwind 18. According to the article, he expects to build 100 canoes this year (all presold). It doesn't mention the other designs but then I read on the web that someone found Bigfoot, so I take that with a grain of salt.

The Buffalo River was great today. It was my second outing in the new-to-me Bell and I think I am falling in like. Storm clouds swirled but it never rained. Just a cool breeze that kept it in the mid to upper seventies.

The river was deserted for the most part except for yours truely. And a quartet of Canada geese along with the usual amphibians, fish, fowl and mammals. Control of the canoe was much easier this time out. I just moved a bit of weight foreward. Still, the bow only drew an inch or so of water while the center sat down about three and a half.

Wildflowers were blooming everywhere, the trees are in full leaf though quite a few fell to the river rise several weeks back. Here are a few pictures from today than Susan may be able to see withouth having to take the dog team to town.

002.jpg003.jpg007.jpg

Crisp and clear! ... and thanks. The dog team does enjoy the trips to the strange sights and great sniffs of town. If I did not have the opposable thumb advantage, I have no doubt they would in the driver's seat, one working the peddles, the other with paws on the wheel and grinning out the window.

Glad you are warming up to the Bell. When you said the bow 'drew', I take that to mean that it sat that much lower ... and that moving the weight forward accomplished this ... result more control? It looks like another good day on the river and lots to look forward to this summer.

Temp here tonight just under 50 F and dropping quickly. From earlier post you perhaps gathered that the blackflies were horrendous here, probably due to the abundance of water in the oxbows and swales. Calls for industrial strength repellant. Dragonflies have come to dine well on them! The rains brought the river level up again - much too much current to try floating the dock or addressing the maple downed during the flood.

Re: pictures ... whichever way is most convenient for you to post. With recent updates, viewing has improved considerably.

Yes, "drew" as in sat down in the water. I am not used to canoes with much rocker, much less differential rocker, more in the front than back. If neither touch, I am floating on a rounded oblong dish. Moving a bit of weight foreward caused the bow to go a little bit into the water, just enough to make it want to track better. I imagine with a 45# dog in the bow, and gear moved aft, it will be just fine. And I had gotten used to the hard chines on the larger Old Town. When I catch an eddy with that one, it grabs with a jolt. The morningstar is a shallow arch with rounded chines and it glided in quickly but smooth as silk. And behaved as well when peeling out of an eddy. In fact I found myself making much fuller use of eddys to get around downed trees in the current and other obsticals. This old dog is learning new tricks it seems.

bjhod2.jpg

009.jpg

Bear in mind, that a surfboard does not have the "bow" in the water and tracks very nicely with the stern "skegged".
As an old whitewater paddler, I know you'll get very used to the boat turning when you ask it to, and going straight with little effort.:thumbup:

I don't mean to derail this thread, but I thought this would be the perfect thread to post this in.
What do you guys think about this kayak?
[video=youtube_share;IH7m20x_Mjk]http://youtu.be/IH7m20x_Mjk[/video]
-Bruce

DARN! Ok. :(
-Bruce

No, the concept is neat. Construction wise, there are some differences between it and the Folbot. Folbot has a wood (now metal) internal frame that expands a soft skin and this one is self-framed. IMHO, both have a niche to fill. I couldn't tell you how many sale ads I've seen where the reason for selling a canoe or kayak was the loss of a place to store it or a way to transport it. And FYI, many airlines will carry canoes and kayaks as checked baggage now, up to 13' in length and under 100#.

Here is a new Gopro video from the Arkansas gang for those who like to watch steep creeking kayaks. I've done this one in a canoe. Last century.

[video=vimeo;67932239]http://vimeo.com/67932239[/video]

Folding boats are really cool, I think, and are very popular in Russia and other countries that pace and money
is at a premium. They are wonderful for train travel. The ORU YAK has been around for a bit and IMO is some really nice engineering. Some boats are prettier than others, but whatever gets you on the water is the important part.
[video=youtube;Kr8xaqzG6mM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8xaqzG6mM[/video]

[video=youtube;FihMcHTKo9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FihMcHTKo9Q[/video]

I took 6 Scouts out on a little waterway here in Central WA.

It is called the Winchester Wasteway.

We paddled for 2.5 hours Friday evening. Then camped for the night.

Pull out spot we chose this year.

This is where the leaders slept.

Front door view!

The scouts tents.

Sun going down.

Camp fire.

We were back on the water at 8 am (I only got 1 hour sleep!).
Tall dune where we stop and the Scouts play every year.

We paddled saturday for about 5.5 hours.

We stopped a few times to play. Had a great water foot ball game. Those pics are on my camera, not my phone, so I will have to upload them later.

I am tuckered out!

I bet it was a fun trip! How experienced were they in canoes? Did you have paddling lessons before the trip, or were they mostly returning scouts from previous trips?

Folding boat humor...
carl.jpg

A
I bet it was a fun trip! How experienced were they in canoes? Did you have paddling lessons before the trip, or were they mostly returning scouts from previous trips?

Folding boat humor...
View attachment 355209

Most are returning. It is a yearly trip. Only one was a first timer. He is was paired with a leader. And given time in front and back of the canoe.

Some of the boys have been down 4 years in a row. Two are life long paddlers. I had a 20 year old in my canoe that has been doing that particular stretch for more than 10 years! My first trip down that waterway was more than 20 years ago, and was a nasty one! As a boy I was taken down the lower, dangerous stretch, and we sheared a canoe, got lost, and had to hike out in the dark with no water, no gear, and had to leave the canoes to be found later by plane! The leaders took us down the wrong waterway. Only a few hundred yards seperate the put in for another waterway from where we take out on this one. The lower strech of the winchester gets swift and pushy. It is full of strainers of Russian olives. One waterfall is about 20 feet with a bad landing and undercut. It is a regular killer of unprepaired and uninformed. Our leaders, all those years ago were telling us to go over the falls unseen, and that we woukd be fine if we "stayed to the right".

The sound, and barbed wire stretched accross the waterway with a "Danger Waterfall Portage" made me pull out and scout the falls. I made it back just in time to stop the rest of the group from going over. One canoe had gone past any possible take out point. Only reaching up and grabbing the barbed wire above the boat saved him. We tossed them a rescue rope and walked them back up to the pull out from the shore.

As it was, the leaders were still not convinced we were on the wrong river(against the advice of the Scouts!K.. They told us to keep going after the portage. We ended up lost, cold and hiking out in the dark. We got out at about 3am after about 10 or more miles hiking in the dark!

Last edited:
I've never sunken and lost or abandoned a canoe, but my bowman and duffer have gotten out and walked a time or two. Of course this was a long time ago when taking risks was a part of the fun. Glad you and the troop had fun this time. Did everyone do their own cooking or was it a group effort? And while I'm being nosey, did they all relent and wear their PFDs while on the water? I see this error nearly every time I go to the river. Invariably, I wind up tossing ropes and running down lost PFDs for overturned paddlers, most of whom wouldn't know a strainer until it bit them.

I have a nice post all typed up, but it will not let me post it.

I will have to try again tomorrow. Answers and more photo's that apparently this thread does not like. I am giving up after 20+ attempts, even after I edited, and split the post in half.

Last edited:
This area we stop at and play football. It spreads out and gets shallow. It is perfect for water football.

Honestly, we they don't all wear life jackets on this trip. Each canoe has a life jacket for each boy, right next to them ready. I keep 4 in my boat, including two seat flotation devices to throw. I also keep several ropes right in front of me, in a bucket, but in 10 years they have never had a canoe dump on the section we do. Even when we put beginners together. Which some times we will do for stretches to let them learn better. Nearly the whole trip, from top to bottom, you can get out of your canoe and stand. Even where it is chest deep, you can stand against the current. The The water is moving slow enough that you can swim upstream, and back paddle upstream. The water is also warm enough to spend considerable time in without any concerns of hypothermia. It is irrigation run off, and spreads out into several shallow lakes so it is relatively warm (one area about 100 yards across, we normally have to get out and push several times).

Once on this trip, one of the leaders took on water, with a newer paddler in the front (he made the trip last year too). This was because they were in a group, trying to tip and rock each other. He simply stepped out of the canoe and bailed it out while holding it.

If we ever do the lower section, life jackets will be required (and buckled!). It is much faster. It narrows and speeds up.

I wore mine the entire trip last time just out of habit. This year, I only wore it the first evening.

Back