Paddling into 2014

Codger_64

I've not yet been on the water this year so far, though the Bell Morningstar is on the porch on sawhorses freshly cleaned and treated with 303 protectant. The canoe rack where my four red canoes waited this winter is down to the two, the Bell and Old Town Guide 176. Extention ladders take up the two empty spots. I sold the Blue Hole Sunburst last fall and the little Disco 119K this spring, needing funds and admitting that neither canoe served my needs. I did get every penny back out of both of them though and their new owners left quite happy with their new boats.

I had fully intended to hit the river yesterday on this year's maiden voyage but, as often happens, life (work) got in the way. What was supposed to be a quick job in the morning stretched to the afternoon and, after paying bills (and paying for new knives), I really can't afford the expense of a trip to the river today, regardless of how slight. Gas, shuttle and fishing license. So...,weather cooperating, I plan to go next weekend. I may get the yardwork done today in time to shuffle the Morningstar and Guide from rack to porch and give the Guide a good spring cleaning. And ponder any improvements that I need/want to make to each. I never did get around to adding proper painter lines to either canoe last year. And the paddletrailer needs a spring tuneup no doubt.

USGS data shows a ten degree rise in the Buffalo River water temperature this past week, from a low of 55 to a current nearly 66 degrees. Still to be respected in regards to immersion by an old man. Discharge is 670 C.F.M., a fair flow on the mild side and level is pretty steady at 3.6' on the gauge. My local outfitter is back open and running, but with the frequent spring rain and cool water temps most likely not yet running much of their livery.

1sjuxl.png

The owners have no doubt spent some time in their airboats clearing the winter accumulation of strainers and downed trees from the river. It is great, IMHO, that the river is loosely regulated to allow them to do this because it adds greatly to the safety of their customers not to mention their fleet of aluminum canoes.

Are any of you on the water yet? Or at least turning your attention to getting your canoes or kayaks ready?

I've been on the water twice so far, both times on the same creek. It's an almost completely flat five mile trip that start just a few miles from my home. Both days were sunny and warm. Unfortunately, I have so much yard work to do the rest of this year that all my paddling will be on rainy days when it's too wet to do anything else.

I have took the p-row to the Lake where I fish 4 times and caught 4 crappie . Not to good from what I normally do. Hope things get better for all of us.:)

I took the Herons and the Dirigo off the rack last Weds. Was thinking to put them into the water at Red Feathers but she's still frozen. The La Poudre is flowing nicely through Ft Collins. In Golden, Clear Creek has thawed and is 90% up to 'float' level. Standley Lake in Broomfield is thawed but won't open til May 1st. Georgetown Lake still has ice fishing huts on it. The mighty St Vrain is filling up but a lot of crag and debris is still in the way and crews are working to clear it in anticipation of spring run off. Water estimates look good though as most res are up this year. I drove past Horsetooth and she's open! So we're almost there. I been looking hard at a Liquid Logic and comparing it to a Pirahna 12. Trying to see if I can squeeze myself into a smaller boat. Ha!
(FYI: Ref's are all Colorado Lakes & Streams)

P.S. Mom remarried a great guy who always treated me like his own son. We ran the Buffalo at least two dozen times in a 15' Grummond Aluminum. I know your river well Michael!

Last edited:
So come canoe with me some time Billy! Or you can paddle your own canoe. I miss being on the river, had fully intended to go this past weekend but worked both days.

sw9rh0.jpg

260egcm.png

Made my first overnight fishing trip this weekend and we caught quite a few fish (smallmouth and kentuckys). Only one really big fish (20" smallie) but plenty in the 12"-15" range caught mostly on spinnerbaits. I usually go solo but on this trip had my regular fishing buddy as well as one of my sons who also brought a friend.

We use hammocks when camping on the river and found a nice sand bar with some standing timber and stretched out our 4 hammocks there. Camping on the river is so much easier when using hammocks because you don't have to bother with getting up on the bank and finding a flat spot to pitch a tent/tarp.

Attachments

• phpPy0wmNAM.jpg
    phpPy0wmNAM.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 49
  • phpYm0Z1IAM.jpg
    phpYm0Z1IAM.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 56
  • phpaPkmf3AM.jpg
    phpaPkmf3AM.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 68
  • phpxEuGA2AM.jpg
    phpxEuGA2AM.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 64
  • phpZvnuCNAM.jpg
    phpZvnuCNAM.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 68
Yeah It's definitely time to get back to the river! Winters been a long time on.

Yeah It's definitely time to get back to the river! Winters been a long time on.

Made my first overnight fishing trip this weekend and we caught quite a few fish (smallmouth and kentuckys). Only one really big fish (20" smallie) but plenty in the 12"-15" range caught mostly on spinnerbaits. I usually go solo but on this trip had my regular fishing buddy as well as one of my sons who also brought a friend.

We use hammocks when camping on the river and found a nice sand bar with some standing timber and stretched out our 4 hammocks there. Camping on the river is so much easier when using hammocks because you don't have to bother with getting up on the bank and finding a flat spot to pitch a tent/tarp.

Buffalo National River Arkansas? I miss it.

Wow! That last picture is spectacular. I know it's not, but if I saw the photo anywhere else, I'd assume it was a photoshop creation.

edit - deleted all .. lost patience with photobucket

Last edited:
Got out in my kayak last weekend at Lake Murray. Ended up getting skunked in the fish department, but it was a beautiful day to be on the water. Air temps were in the mid 80s but the water was still quite cold (for SC that is).

Hoping to make it out to Congaree National Forest in the next few weeks. There are a few tributaries of the Congaree river that are nice and leisurely to paddle in the park.

These pictures are awesome. My girlfriend and I are going to get our first canoe Saturday.

These pictures are awesome. My girlfriend and I are going to get our first canoe Saturday.

Congrats! Be sure to pick up a pair of good PFDs at the same time. They have evolved the designs and materials so much over the years that it is unbelievable. Comfort, performance and durability are way up now over what was available a short ten years ago. Don't be tempted to buy the cheap box store ski or fishing vests. They will work, and I used them for years, but the newer Astral vest I bought last year is a whole nother animal! And still less than $100 new.

6gaff7.png

I just committed to buy a rebranded 16.5' Royalex Bell Northwind (Galyans Woodsman III) for $400, nine hours of driving and $85 in gas. It looks to be in very good condition. Hopefully I can pick it up later this week or early next. This is a good (but not great) deal—right?

I just committed to buy a rebranded 16.5' Royalex Bell Northwind (Galyans Woodsman III) for $400, nine hours of driving and $85 in gas. It looks to be in very good condition. Hopefully I can pick it up later this week or early next. This is a good (but not great) deal—right?

Condition, condition, condition. The Northwind is a great boat. Original MSRP was around double or a bit more than your price. In Royalex (discontinued soon if not already), it will be heavy compared to the composite layups but very durable and wear resistant.

The 16.5' Northwind is basicly a David Yost designed 18.5' Northstar cruiser with a portion of the center section removed, and a bit of rocker added. It became Bell Canoe Works' best selling tandem. My Morningstar is basicly a 15.5 foot version. I've seen a few complaints by owners about foreward thwart placement and seat comfort, but those are easily fixed if they are a problem. They were made with either wood or aluminum gunnels it seems. It should weigh around 60#.

Price and trip is a duplicate of the run I made all in one day to pick up my Morningstar. Be sure to check the HIN and record it on the bill of sale. And don't be put off if it is dull looking. Just buy a bottle of 303 Aerospace protectant, clean the hull with mean green and then wipe it down several times. It should shine like new. Good luck!

http://bellcanoe.com/products/default.asp?page=product&id=587&catid=193

It's been garage kept except for the last two years, in which it was supposedly sitting under a red maple. The cane seats and thwarts still look fresh and new. Supposedly, it has only scratches and no gouges in the Royalex. It's heartening to know that you made a similar drive and paid the same price for a similar boat (assuming yours is Royalex.) The longish drive is the only thing that makes this a good deal and not a great one (says the man who hasn't actually seen the boat in person yet.) :)

As I said, I took the same risk, drove 446 miles in 7 hours, picked up the canoe next to Pensacola bay, ate a sack lunch and drove home. 892 miles and 14 hours. But it was well worth it.

1j9hti.png

Mine is a composite hull and around 45#.

Got my eye on a Old Town tandem Dirigo, Michael. Already got 2 Herons and a Dirigo 12. The water...She calls us....
P.S. In post #9 above, Top photo is the St Vrain River (Colorado) two days after the flood. I shot her between Lyons and Longmont. Ha! (Do not try this at home if you a a new paddler A flooded river is a serious thing. I was born on the river and I took my Son an accomplished guide) The bottom photo that always brings smiles to everyone is Scotland and that purple foilage is blooming Heather.

Back