Pakistani Damascus knife is impressive!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always had a soft spot for the Pakistan made knives ever since I was young and $20 was a ton to spend on a knife. You could get a really cool looking made in Pakistan knife for cheap!! Had a bunch and generally abused them by throwing them into trees, trying to sharpen them on rocks, etc. this is before the inter web existed and told me Pakistan made knives were bad, lol.

That is a pretty good looking knife considering where it is from. I hope you enjoy it!!

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Pakistan made knives ever since I was young and $20 was a ton to spend on a knife. You could get a really cool looking made in Pakistan knife for cheap!! Had a bunch and generally abused them by throwing them into trees, trying to sharpen them on rocks, etc. this is before the inter web existed and told me Pakistan made knives were bad, lol.

That is a pretty good looking knife considering where it is from. I hope you enjoy it!!
I was the opposite. When I was a kid I thought all of the Pakistani knives I saw in the flea markets looked extremely cheap and ugly.
I also despise the way they have been trying to sell their "Damascus" knives as of late. Lying about where they are made and by whom.
That said, the OP should buy what he likes and what works for him. (Clones and counterfeits aside of course).;)

I was the opposite. When I was a kid I thought all of the Pakistani knives I saw in the flea markets looked extremely cheap and ugly.
I also despise the way they have been trying to sell their "Damascus" knives as of late. Lying about where they are made and by whom.
That said, the OP should buy what he likes and what works for him. (Clones and counterfeits aside of course).;)
They look cheap and ugly because many of them are. No question about it, there is a flood of "custom" Pakistani knives at the gun shows I go to, ask the maker what steels are the damascus made of and get the "uh, umm, carbon" response ;)

That said, if someone enjoys it/them :thumbsup:

I understand the hate for most Pakistani made knives, I have owned some junk in the past. However I have a tomahawk made in India that I have had for many years, it has been easy to sharpen yet holds a great edge. I have used this tomahawk for many hours clearing brush and limbing trees with no issues. I am glad the op has received a "good one" and I hope the change in quality is a trend. When someone uses a knife daily their opinion holds a bit more water in my book.

I think that's a pretty good-looking knife, and if it's performing well for the OP, it's a deal for the amount he paid.

My friend gave me a "Damascus" Pakistani knife. I tried to like it because its a gift from a friend.
But it dulls almost instantly. And the antler scales has this weird odor that's never gone away. I'm not even sure if its a mixed steel but more acid etched.

But that's just my experience with my particular knife.

I just went into my knife box and dig out one of my favorites from the mid 1990’s.

Kris style black painted blade, black cast handle with a black widow painted on it, nylon sheath with a crappy embroidered black widow. Next to my Randalls, it is a piece of crap, but to me at the time it was the coolest thing ever. I’m pretty sure this knife got me a ton of hot girls phone numbers back in the day...

Where else can you get Damascus and file work like that for $60? not even china anymore last I looked ( could be wrong, please don't flog me) I was thinking of picking up an Inexpensive Damascus folder for work seeing that I won't carry anything over $50 bucks on the job site but after reading some of the Heated comments about Pakistani knives I'm Most Def gonna pick one up to see how it holds up. P.S. I like the knife for what it is and so should you Viper2

Where else can you get Damascus and file work like that for $60? not even china anymore last I looked ( could be wrong, please don't flog me) I was thinking of picking up an Inexpensive Damascus folder for work seeing that I won't carry anything over $50 bucks on the job site but after reading some of the Heated comments about Pakistani knives I'm Most Def gonna pick one up to see how it holds up. P.S. I like the knife for what it is and so should you Viper2
You should educate yourself as to what damascus actually is and you'll realize for 60 dollars you most likely aren't getting damascus at all, but it will look like damascus. Sure it has file work.

The reality is for that 60 dollars you are getting a knife that is inferior performance wise to a Spyderco delica.

Questionable mystery steel, questionable heat treat, but yes, it has file work.

Alan Davis is a craftsman/knife maker here and he makes fine folders with real damascus. Of course they aren't 60 dollars but I've seen them for 300 to 500.

I have 2 fixed blade that are made with Pakistani D2 steel and there is nothing wrong with those knives, even if their Micarta is not really aesthetically outstanding they are well made and stand up to abuse without a nick. But I have also a couple folders that I could not say the same. And this was long ago. I think these guys makes blades since the dawn of time, they surely know how to do it.

To OP. Under what brand name did you find that knife ? It looks exceptionally well made for that price range. that's great :)

I have 2 fixed blade that are made with Pakistani D2 steel and there is nothing wrong with those knives, even if their Micarta is not really aesthetically outstanding they are well made and stand up to abuse without a nick. But I have also a couple folders that I could not say the same. And this was long ago. I think these guys makes blades since the dawn of time, they surely know how to do it.

To OP. Under what brand name did you find that knife ? It looks exceptionally well made for that price range. that's great :)
What brand are your knives in "D2" steel? How do you know it's actually D2?

Reactions: Mo2
I just went into my knife box and dig out one of my favorites from the mid 1990’s.

Kris style black painted blade, black cast handle with a black widow painted on it, nylon sheath with a crappy embroidered black widow. Next to my Randalls, it is a piece of crap, but to me at the time it was the coolest thing ever. I’m pretty sure this knife got me a ton of hot girls phone numbers back in the day...

I think I had that same knife back in the mid 80's, dagger two sided blade, cast handle, nylon sheath with red black widow, I agree, as a kid that was one awesome cool knife :)

^^Shiny I was wondering myself if it was REAL Damascus or surface etched. As for the HT I was expecting something that I would have to sharpen once a week for $60 (If used) And although busy I like the file work. I have been looking at some of the Blade smiths work on the board and have talked with one in particular who's creations leave me in aw but he only makes fixed blades so thanks for the tip on Alan Davis, A knife from him would be My grail :cool:. Time to start dropping hints on my wife

^^Shiny I was wondering myself if it was REAL Damascus or surface etched. As for the HT I was expecting something that I would have to sharpen once a week for $60 (If used) And although busy I like the file work. I have been looking at some of the Blade smiths work on the board and have talked with one in particular who's creations leave me in aw but he only makes fixed blades so thanks for the tip on Alan Davis, A knife from him would be My grail :cool:. Time to start dropping hints on my wife
Quality damascus steel costs more than the entire knife that they sell as "damascus" in many Pakistani knives.

That's not to say that whatever steel that whoever made the knife isn't serviceable in the shape of a knife blade. Obviously it's steel of some sort and it works for some tasks by the reports here.

There's a lot of new members reading this and it would be a disservice to not educate them on what they would be actually getting when purchasing one of these "damascus" knives. They'd be getting a mystery steel with who knows what heat treatment that most likely isn't even real damascus much less a quality damascus.

Better to research quality knives from quality makers and save towards it. In the mean time an affordable knife like the delica is a great little knife to hold you over.

Up Date! I just glanced at Alen's work and all I can say Is OMG!! His work Is work Is Exactly what I have been looking for In a Damascus folder. Thanks again for the tip shinyedges. Looks like I'm going to adjust my budget again:eek:. It looks like peanut butter and jelly for me for a couple of months.

Up Date! I just glanced at Alen's work and all I can say Is OMG!! His work Is work Is Exactly what I have been looking for In a Damascus folder. Thanks again for the tip shinyedges. Looks like I'm going to adjust my budget again:eek:. It looks like peanut butter and jelly for me for a couple of months.
Right on night rider! :thumbsup: Alan does fantastic work you won't be disappointed.

What brand are your knives in "D2" steel? How do you know it's actually D2?

They are from CFK Cutlery, both stamped as such. I`m no metallurgist but I would bet, it is what they say it is. I don't know if they produce that steel themselves, probably not but it`s surely not from japan, from price point of view.

Both knives are hard to sharpen and takes a toothy edge that last for ever and is consistent with my experience of that steel.

Their major problem is QC, I had to return the first one I bought because the handle geometry was completely wrong. And the second one needed a real good sanding to become usable. But I have never had one of those blade fail since I Bought these, 3 years ago. At the time these knives where 49 - 59$ delivery included.

I took a chance that ended with one of the toughest knife I ever whacked.

BW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back