Para 3 Lightweight

Apologies, not dierctly related to BD1N or the Para 3, but to answer a question...

I remember Sal told us LC200N was below VG10 in edge retention, so you are saying VG10 outperforms S3oV?

I vaguely remembr some of that discussion. I thought he said LC200N was between VG10 & S30V, but that’s coming from fallible memory. ;)

Regardless (and also fallible), Pete (Cedric & Ada) got results from LC200N that surprised me. He tested it significantly above S30V. —I know, lack of controlls, different grinds, etc. — Take it FWIW, but there it is.

Regarding BD1N specifically, my only experience is with the UKPK; one that I gifted and another that sits NIB for a future gift...so little to none. I too am kind of expecting it to fall between VG10 & S30V in edge retention. That will be fine with me.

Come on Para 3 LW!

Reactions: 353
Yep, not the same, and will not affect my love for the Delica 4.

And, if they were really so close, why would anyone pay more for the P3LW and not just get the D4?

I guess time will tell, but if I was just a guy that wanted a do it all 20 year knife that does the beater tasks is well as the cut string and cardboard I'd be looking at the new Para3 LW. This is coming from someone that the Para3 has never appealed to (I prefer larger blades), and I don't even own one.
I have about 23 Delicas. The market will decide.

I guess time will tell, but if I was just a guy that wanted a do it all 20 year knife that does the beater tasks is well as the cut string and cardboard I'd be looking at the new Para3 LW. This is coming from someone that the Para3 has never appealed to (I prefer larger blades), and I don't even own one.
I have about 23 Delicas. The market will decide.

I cant see anything the P3L can do better.

I love the Delica and have had about a dozen and three Para 3s, but in that format I don't know why you'd choose one over the other unless you just liked it for one reason or another. I don't think either will go anywhere myself. The Delica is sure not going anywhere.

I remember Sal told us LC200N was below VG10 in edge retention, so you are saying VG10 outperforms S3oV?

I don’t think that is right. I think it is just below s30v, not vg10. Can you post a link to the reference from Sal?

I don’t think that is right. I think it is just below s30v, not vg10. Can you post a link to the reference from Sal?

I tried to find it but failed, pretty sure he wrote the stuff I said though, LC200N is weaker than VG10.

In edge retention.

I tried to find it but failed, pretty sure he wrote the stuff I said though, LC200N is weaker than VG10.

In edge retention.

Hmm. Cedric and Ada lists it above S30V in line with Elmax for edge retention.

Hmm. Cedric and Ada lists it above S30V in line with Elmax for edge retention.

Found it.

pwDi1wr.jpg

I’m also anxiously awaiting this knife to hit retail shelves. It’ll be my first knife purchase of the year!

I honestly do not know how their lab came up with that. VG-10 is in the budget steels in terms of performance. Any of the PM steels will outperform it. VG-10 isn't a bad steel, but this is basically comparing a V6 engine from the 90s to an i4 or V6 today, the technology made massive advances. BD1N handily outperforms VG-10, and LC200N outperforms BD1N. Most tests place LC200N a little above S30V, somewhere around Elmax or XHP in terms of edge retention.

New steels are often hyped. VG-10 can be better or worse depending on heat treat. Some think Spyderco runs their VG-10 a bit soft.

Hope it comes in lefty configuration! Back locks work but I really like my lefty Para 2. Other models with this lock style in lefty would be nice.

Hope it comes in lefty configuration! Back locks work but I really like my lefty Para 2. Other models with this lock style in lefty would be nice.

It's funny, I'm left-handed, but I don't want a lefty Para 2 or 3, because the standard compression lock works so well for me. I wouldn't mind a lefty Military, though.

So between this lw Para 3 and Delica 4 zdp-189, which one should I get? It is a $20 difference price-wise. I have never tried a Para 3 but had a delica 4 zdp-189 sold and just bought a vg10 Delica wharny.

So between this lw Para 3 and Delica 4 zdp-189, which one should I get? It is a $20 difference price-wise. I have never tried a Para 3 but had a delica 4 zdp-189 sold and just bought a vg10 Delica wharny.

Nothing will make me give up a Delica 4 except another Delica 4. With that said I like the Para 3 a lot, its the same size. The lightweight intrigues me because its a mix of the Delica 4 and Para3. I just wish it came in VG10.

Back