para2...which steel?

I own and love the para2 mine is in s30v. I want to buy another to put in my small EDC bag this bag would be in my truck or on my person if hiking , hunting , outdoors in general , so I need a steel that can open boxes , prepare food, cut cord , whittle wood , and be a weapon if needed what steel between s30v ,s35v s100v or rex45 might be my best all around blade? I really like the look of the burnt orange para2 which of course is discontinued.

any insight would be helpful....Jay

I have used a lot my s30v PM2 and IMO this steel perform extremely well for heavy/real user

And since the knife may also be damaged if you seriously abuse it , s30v is also the best economical choice

For more EDC tasks I would have pick the maxamet version since I like this steel on my native but it comes with an high price tag

So my choice for edc jas been s110v
With this steel I mainly use my PM2 for light edc tasks and during holidays when it will not be possible to resharpen the knife for a couple of weeks.
It is less versatile than M390 or s30v but it holds an edge for a very long time and it comes with very good corrosion resistance..... and it is a standard production model at a reasonable price for all what you get

S30v would be fine for storing in the truck and edc. I'd keep with a stainless steel and something not to time consuming to sharpen. I'd recommend 52100, M4, cruewear, Rex45 but they are not stainless.

Last edited:
my choice would be the Cruwear,good edge holding and tough steel.but let there be no mistake about the S30V,that is a high quality steel.in my opinion there is one very important thing for steel and that's the heat treatment.good luck with your choice!

M4, Cruwear, CTS, and Rex 45 are my favorites for edge retention and sharpening.

The heat treat on spyderco's s35vn version is superb. Keeps an edge longer than other s35vn knives I've owned. And there is an abundance of them out there so they're relatively easy to get.

For me, roughly in this order (decreasing preference): rex 45, m4, m390/204p/20cv, s110, cts-xhp, cuweat, s35vn

In the end I put my money on a burnt orange para2 w/rex45 steel. , I know color of scales shouldnt matter , but the brown left me uninspired , was not feeling the black , have the camo already. I got a new steel and the color I wanted to boot,
Thanks for all the input
Nice choice - plus you can force a nice patina on REX45 for a classic look.

I was thinking of using vinegar for patina any thoughts? I have no issue with s30v or 35 for that matter I have knives in both and like them. I dont think I have a knife in s110v sp i cant speak to that steel per say

Mine is CPM20CV and it’s more than equal to any use or tests I’ll ever put it to. It cost me ~$145 and I was as happy with that price as I’ve been with the knife.

I was thinking of using vinegar for patina any thoughts? I have no issue with s30v or 35 for that matter I have knives in both and like them. I dont think I have a knife in s110v sp i cant speak to that steel per say

Or you can just let it form patina naturally. Otherwise, vinegar shall do the trick. See my Police 4 pix in the other thread. I submerged the blade in hot vinegar for about 20 mniutes, took it out and pat dry, and then applied mustard. Happy with the result.

S30V is fine for any normal tasks but, if you plan to use the tip for prying, I'd suggest you buy another knife.

That doesn't keep people from using that way. One of the big complaints about the PM2 is that the tips break. So, who's fault is that?

The end user. If the tip was thicker the whole knife would be thicker. And therefore a crappy cutter. Get a Medford or a DPX HEST. They will totally survive being used as a pry bar. But break down double wall cardboard boxes with one and tell me how you feel about them as a cutter.

S35VN is the best steel for a do all knife. S30V is excellent. May as well throw on a lab coat if you wanna venture out.

Back