para2...which steel?

Knives aren't pry bars. Get a Leatherman surge for all non-cutting tasks. Some knives can take it, but they usually suck as a knife.

Yes - plenty of knives are designed to assume that role (pry bar). I do agree PM2 is not one of them.

What's your budget like? Do you enjoy maintaining your knives? Most of the available steels can handle what you throw at it so for me the deciding factors would be cost and ease of maintenance. I have a PM2 S110V but would be happy to have an S30V as a second EDC.

I wanted to say that I haven't had a PM2 I didn't like, but that is not quite true. Ahem...Maxamet...ahem. I also had couple of S30V models, which have been passed to couple of friends. S30V served its purpose, and if that is all there was, it would be OK. It was my first PM2.

I have an older M390 (not pictured) which is used when I know that there could be abuse. It has been sharpened the most, chipped the tip couple of times, annd the blade is starting to get little smaller. Delegeated to garage duty and such.

Any of these other ones is a favorite when in rotation. If I know there will be moisture, the stainless come out. Otherwise, any will do for any task.

DtYmulq.jpg

Hope you like the rex45. I’d like to suggest the cruwear for next pm2, it won’t take a patina quite as easily but is a great outdoor use steel anyway. Unless you have great self control, you’ll end up buying many different steels of your favorite model spyderco.

Back