Paracord Hat Band - Finally!

Nice Idea. I've been making bracelets for a while same way. I have had some ideas of trying to make belts, watch bands, pack straps, and whatever else out of 550.

Looks great!

I have had a paracord hatband on my cowboy hat for years. I have taken it on planes a few times - nobody cares. I have it with me every day - nobody notices. Although now, when I take it off, I do notice the hat is a little loose!

Anyway I love having a paracord hatband, I think it's the bee's knees. Also, women comment that I remind them of Crocodile Dundee, and when I tell them I made it myself, they are impressed.

I used the exact same braid as you, but the cord was literally taken from a Canadian issue parachute, so it is a little different.

Wow that's amazing. I can barely tie my shoes let alone set something like that up!

Excellent idea! Looks like a hatband is going to be my next project.

As far as a belt goes, if you need to take apart your paracord belt, you can cut off enough to keep your pants up. Hehehe-- I wouldn't make it five steps without a belt.

Have I posted a pic of my paracord man-thong yet? I'll have to dig it out... :D

(But seriously, nice hat band.)

I used a knitting spool/corker that I made from a wooden napkin holder and brads/nails to make this paracord hatband. The braid/weave made with 550 paracord looks and feels like a 5/8 inch diameter rope. I managed to get about 37 feet into this one, and it can probably be unraveled in under a minute for quick use if needed, but I don't want to find out, because it took a loooong time to make it. ;)

knittedparacordhatband.jpg

CIMG3202.jpg

Good job. Finishing the end well is a hard one for me too. I keep experimenting.

When you go for the spy capsules, consider the half-hitch weave that StormDrane posted a couple weeks ago.

Where do you find the plastic piece that connects the ends of the hatband? I searched online but I am not sure what to call it.

Where do you find the plastic piece that connects the ends of the hatband? I searched online but I am not sure what to call it.

I think you're referring to the side-release buckle. You don't really need that for a hatband, you can just tie a knot to finish it. But if you're set on using one, and they're good for paracord bracelets as well, you might try cdwplus.com.

Here's my Tilley with a paracord band. My Browning Mako Pro blade is there too with it's own paracord tail.

mako.jpg

I used small line to tie it on the hat in a couple places. If you get side release buckles, look for the ones made for pet collars-- they have a little curve built in. Straight ones will certainly work. I got some made for backpack sternum straps that have a whistle built in.

Stormdrane, I really like that hat band! Can you give a quick l lesson on how to weave it through the napkin holder. I enlarged the picture but was still unable to tell how you did it. By the way, thanks to you I have been making some pretty cool bracelets and have passed my know-how to a friend and he went on to pass it on to several others. Anyway,I really appeciate your insight.

Here's my Tilley with a paracord band. My Browning Mako Pro blade is there too with it's own paracord tail.

mako.jpg

I used small line to tie it on the hat in a couple places. If you get side release buckles, look for the ones made for pet collars-- they have a little curve built in. Straight ones will certainly work. I got some made for backpack sternum straps that have a whistle built in.

I was going to make one for my Tilley, but it is the Nylon one and is very flexible and I was thinking it wouldn't stay in place. Maybe I'm going to try your idea and stitch it to the hat in a few places.

More importantly, is that a new Tilley? How come it looks so clean? Mine looks like the one that passed through the elephant.

Doc

I wash it when I sweat it through so it doesn't rot the cloth.

Stop sitting on it! :D

survival hat! :D now thats a good idea!

The Tilley has a pocket in the top you could stash some fire starting stuff and a razor blade (in shipping tape), etc. The only thing about a Tilley is the vent holes make it harder to use for a bucket. Duct tape there I guess.

They are comfortable, stay on in the wind (great lanyard), good in the rain, excellent in the sun, and make any man an instant chick magnet :cool:

Just using two of the three nails on the spool knitter I made produces a smaller square shaped and flexible paracord braid shown next to the larger round one made using 3 nails. It'll use less cord, but provides a lower profile for a hatband than the larger one.

2nailknittedbraid.jpg

Back