Paramilitary 3

I think the Minuteman moniker was used on a short run of black washed ZT 801's, marketed directly after the release of the Minutemen movie, by the Minuteman Watch Company. Since it was just used in an SFO, and not (don't think anyway) trademarked as the official knife name, I see no reason not to use it.

I'm really looking forward to this knife if it makes it to market. I absolutely love the PM2.

I think the Minuteman moniker was used on a short run of black washed ZT 801's, marketed directly after the release of the Minutemen movie, by the Minuteman Watch Company. Since it was just used in an SFO, and not (don't think anyway) trademarked as the official knife name, I see no reason not to use it.

I'm really looking forward to this knife if it makes it to market. I absolutely love the PM2.

Well I was meaning as that guy referred to a recommendation of a name for the "PM3", not just in knife names in general.
Interesting about ZT's limited use of the name, though, I wasn't aware of that one.

Coincidentally one of the first knives I got as a gift from my dad, was a Old Timer Minuteman.

Keeping with the military theme, the Spyderco Militia would have been cool. But now that I type it, I guess it's too close to military. Good call on Minuteman...

Yeah that struck me after I made my other post.

Minuteman's a great name.

It's in-the-works. Will be made in Golden. Will be called the "Minuteman", a suggestion from a forumite.

sal

Great! Looking forward to it.

So, you're announcing the made in the U.S. Spyderco Minuteman with a 3" S30V blade and Compression Lock looking like a mini ParaMilitary2 at the SHOT Show later this month?

Then, there'll probably not be a Sage with a Compression Lock?

From your past post, here and elsewhere, I know you've been on a bit of a mission to provide more and more smaller folders with/without locks and blades of 3 inches or less. Even as is, Spyderco leads most, if not all, other knifemakers in that realm. Current and future knife laws was one of the key reasons in creating the Chaparral line?

That Minuteman MM01K was an exclusive and very limited run of 50 ZT 0801BWMM sold by the Minuteman Watch Company. 25% of the profit went to veterans' charities. I received mine in early August 2014.

Minuteman is an ok name, I like Militia too, but it could be called the Fluffy Duck for all I care. I am going to be all over this
like college boys on a keg.

I don't really get this. The Paramilitary 2 is already too small for my hand to fit comfortably for use in the main grip area. I guess this might be a forced choil grip knife, but I can't see the Paramilitary shaped handle being comfortable in that grip.

I think a 4" bladed Paramilitary would be much better. Yes, I know that's the Military size but it is frankly past time to update the Military or at least give the option of a larger paramilitary. I love the lock, blade shape, and clip of the Paramilitary, and I think if scaled up for a 4" blade its handle would be much more comfortable and better for use than the classic Military handle.

Just my thoughts.

I don't really get this. The Paramilitary 2 is already too small for my hand to fit comfortably for use in the main grip area. I guess this might be a forced choil grip knife, but I can't see the Paramilitary shaped handle being comfortable in that grip.

I think a 4" bladed Paramilitary would be much better. Yes, I know that's the Military size but it is frankly past time to update the Military or at least give the option of a larger paramilitary. I love the lock, blade shape, and clip of the Paramilitary, and I think if scaled up for a 4" blade its handle would be much more comfortable and better for use than the classic Military handle.

Just my thoughts.

Nope.. Smaller para would make more marketing sense and add more to the target market.. The pm2 is large enough and only to small amount of people would want to see it larger. Most states like to see knives under 3.5-3in so that would murder sales to civilians edc.. I sold mine due to the size and I have large hands. I will be revisiting the minute man when it drops as 3in blade is the sweet spot for most application to me. See how that works, they are pulling me back, and would assume it would to most para owners that's not looking to carry a sword.
Not too keen on the name "Minute man," but love the concept of smaller pm2 with same ergos. Para Bootcamp.. ?

Last edited:
Looking forward to this one! Never carried my PM2 because it was too big to EDC, even though the ergonomics of the handle were fantastic. I have small hands, so the Minuteman should be perfect.

Regarding pricing, it seems like smaller versions tend to be only slightly cheaper, since tooling probably costs a lot more than the 15% difference in material volume. The price difference between Endura and Delica MSRP for example is only $5. So I would expect the Minuteman to have an MSRP of $175-$190, and a street price of $105-$114 (based on MAP enforcement). Perfectly acceptable IMO.

Why not just leave the name at Paramilitary 3????

Bit of Ferrari marketing at play with my suggestion- 3 referring to the 3inch blade- but also the 3rd version of the Military/Paramilitary evolution.

At the end of the day- it could be called banana I suppose- I will still have a look at it and consider buying it

I'm looking forward to this one too. I love my PM2, but I find it a bit too big for EDC. The same configuration with the compression lock in a 3" blade would be hard to beat.

I wonder if it will have the standard S30V, or if it will get something else. I hope it sees the sprints and exclusives like the PM2 does as well.

Just my thoughts.
I'm kind of with you here except the reason I'm not really interested in this smaller version is because the current version is just right for me.

it could be called the Fluffy Duck for all I care.

Haha, name doesn't matter much to me either.
I'll fold up a Fluffy Duck and stuff it into my pocket. The name just sounds ergonomic to me. Hammer grip a Fluffy Duck and give it a good middle finger flick to open up. YouTube will really start to frown upon Fluffy Duck spine whack test videos. That Fluffy Duck will just eat right through tomatoes and apples with little effort. It will result in a painful fold and might bite your finger if you baton a log with it though. :p

I'm glad to hear it's moving forward. I really don't care what it's called and I'm fine with any of the high quality steels that Spyderco uses. I'll order one as soon as it's available.

All I know is that I'll be all over this, unless it's priced like the Positron, then I may just step back. But I really think a smaller PM2, with CF slabs, would make an amazing EDC.

That Combo just may kick both my daily, and dressy knives from pocket. If ZT can do the 450 (with simply amazing fit/finish/action) in s35vn/titanium in the $200 ($160 street) range, Spyderco should be able to produce a mini PM with slightly upgraded components at a similar price. I know it's not fair to compare different manufacturing facilities, but we all know the buying public compares the end product.

Oh, and I'm all for the "Fluffy Duck" name. Just think, a super performer with a non-combative name. [emoji2]. Man Spyderco has been getting a lot of my income lately.

Just roll right out with digicam. How long will it take me to buy? About a Minute, man.:D:):thumbup:

I sorta expect them to normally have standard black and digicam G10, but would be nice to have other options which I assume will only be available in sprints. A standard foliage green or gray variant would be nice.

My sweet spot for EDC blades is the 3" mark as some of my favorite knives to carry are the Delica, Small Sebenza, XM-18 3", Ritter Mini Grip (must have a comfortable handle though and why I don't opt for the BM 707 that much) though on occasion I'll carry a Military, Adamas, SnG, Large Sebenza, etc. For some reason though, I've never thought of the PM2 as a large knife. Somehow, even though having a 3.5" blade it just looks and feels smaller compared to similar sized knives and could be due to the blade to handle ratio.

I have a feeling though I'll end up definitely having to try the Minuteman out and looking forward to seeing a prototype. I'm certain the ergos will be top notch.

Hi RamZar,

We still plan a Compression lock sage.

Hey BMWBoris,

We have been calling it the Para 3 in-house, for the reasons you mention ed, but decided that it might create confusion since we'll still be making the Para 2.

sal

Back