Paramilitary 3

Fantastic looking edge as always buddy:thumbup: What grit did you take it up to?

Thanks, I really like the results I get when I finish with the 600 grit moldmaster when used dry(and especially when it gets really glazed). Started stropping with 14u diamond paste, all the way to 1u.

If they do make a P3 I would like to see either a slightly longer handle or a reduction in the size of the "hump" at the rear of the handle. I love the knife and carry one pretty frequently but my hands just dont fit the knife as well as I would like. It would be nice if Spyderco would make a P2 that would fit people with man hands and little dainty hands.

I think they should redo the Military. Four postion clip and compression lock would definetley make me buy one. I can count the number of times I have been in my local knife shop and nearly bought the Military and then I take another look at the clip and putit down

I think they should redo the Military. Four postion clip and compression lock would definetley make me buy one.

Call it the Paramilitary XL.

Leave the Military alone though...it's practically perfect as it is.:)

I would ditch the handle hump at the rear and the choil. I would like a little bit better handle to blade ratio buts its not a deal breaker as it is.

I would love a Hinderer style lanyard cut out a whole lot.

I would maybe also like the grind near the edge thinned out just a hair so it cuts and slices even better.

That's about it.

I am another who loves the Para 2 despite the choil, not because of it. I do a lot of close precision work with mine and rarely utilize the choil. I feel better control holding the handle versus the choil and would prefer more edge instead. The handle and blade work great for me. Love the straight spine, gives good control when trimming the edge of a bored hole in wood or plastic. Curved spines are much harder to control in those deburring cuts that I often perform. The lateral stability is also important for precise work in stiff material like wood.

I love the style of the Para 2. The only important changes I can suggest to make a Para 3 would be a wire clip, Elmax blade as standard production, and get rid of the off side liner. 5/32" thick G10 is a lot stronger than that fine blade tip, so having two liners is mostly unnecessary. I'd by far rather save the weight and still have a knife that is way stronger than I'd need for any task that wouldn't damage the blade.

So yeah, one liner, wire pocket clip, Elmax blade. I think that's worth calling it a new version.

The choil is there for a reason. It works as a blade kick when you close the knife, so there's no risk the edge will touch your finger when you catch the blade on your index finger. I wouldn't wanna lose the choil for the world. The added practical edge length is only a couple millimeters anyway.

The choil is there for a reason. It works as a blade kick when you close the knife, so there's no risk the edge will touch your finger when you catch the blade on your index finger. I wouldn't wanna lose the choil for the world. The added practical edge length is only a couple millimeters anyway.

Is that really necessary or even helpful with the compression lock considering you move your hand out of the way of the blade to close it?

Is that really necessary or even helpful with the compression lock considering you move your hand out of the way of the blade to close it?

yes it is! I carry the pm2 everyday and without the choil I'd have cut the crap out of my finger dozens of times by now.

Sal has mentioned that they engineer the choil and the large 'ricasso' you see on the Endura and Delica as a safety feature.

I was surprised the tenacious does not have it, or others in that line.

Either way. I don't want to see a P3. I like the P2 as is. It is a fine knife.

Here is my user:

utf-8BRFNDMDMyMTkgKDgwMHg2MDApLmpwZw_zpsa8af929b.jpg

The steel liners make it possible to have the 4 way clip position. You can screw into the g10 alone, but it can be easily messed up.

Sal has mentioned that they engineer the choil and the large 'ricasso' you see on the Endura and Delica as a safety feature.

Here is my user:

utf-8BRFNDMDMyMTkgKDgwMHg2MDApLmpwZw_zpsa8af929b.jpg

That is a fine looking Digi Camo Para 2! Mine just arrived and I am very pleased with the Digi Camo and S30V. In the past I have had black, orange and brown...those are gone, but I think this one will stick around for a while.

I believe the reason they did that was simply because of the fact that some people don't prefer choils. On the Tenacious you do have the edge a little closer to the hand without having to move your finger to a choil, which some people prefer, even though I personally don't consider it that big of an advantage. It's good to have an option for everybody.

Last edited:
I reall like my Military, but haven't yet handled a Para 2. From what I see in this forum, I think I would really like it. The Para 2 is currently on the top of my wish list.

Then Singularity35 shows a picture of the Military Ti. The pictures in the Catalog don't do it justice.

That is a fine looking Digi Camo Para 2! Mine just arrived and I am very pleased with the Digi Camo and S30V. In the past I have had black, orange and brown...those are gone, but I think this one will stick around for a while.

Thanks for the kind words. Because each Digi Camo looks different there is a certain uniqueness to each one. Enjoy yours!

I believe the reason they did that was simply because of the fact that some people don't prefer choils. On the Tenacious you do have the edge a little closer to the hand without having to move your finger to a choil, which some people prefer, even though I personally don't consider it that big of an advantage. It's good to have an option for everybody.

Very true.

There is a much-discussed Military 2 that will probably have a four-position clip and will have a new lock called the Stop Lock by Spyderco, but Sal has said that one is way over the horizon, which probably tells you something about the Para3 concept.

I think they should redo the Military. Four postion clip and compression lock would definetley make me buy one. I can count the number of times I have been in my local knife shop and nearly bought the Military and then I take another look at the clip and putit down

I'm still enjoying the living daylights out of my CPMD2 Para. Have gone through 4 P2's and am certainly not ready for a 3rd generation!

Id like to see a bigger blade/ less or no choil but other than that I think its about perfect. I'm not sure exactly what would be improved upon.

Taking a step in the wrong direction aren't we?

Back