Paranoid!!??

Reverend, "we"??? I'm sorry if you think I'm stereotyping you...I'm sure you are a nice person...I just can't help but to think how screwed up kids are these days....and the ARE screwed up...big time. -AR

------------------
- AKTI Member ID# A000322

- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

I am sure Adam looked around and said "The kids these days..." as well. And he had good reason!

Rev, live your life as best you know how. No matter what your apperance there are many who will judge you because of it. I was amazed at the difference in public perception after I cut my hair off some five years ago. Same old James, great new look. Suddenly, people would sit next to me on the train. I like my hair, but miss the extra space.

------------------
James

Are kids as a whole "Screwed Up" in this day and age? I know everyone here over the age of thirty knows of a certain college clock-tower shooting in which a great number of people were killed and wounded. That didn't happen last week, it was, what now, twenty five years ago? More? If that University of Texas gunman grew up with you, does that by virtue make YOU screwed up? No, not in the least. I know I am a hell of a lot more adjusted and way more in touch with reality then a lot of people I know, and I know a lot of adults. Sorry, but day and age has NOTHING to do with it. Here is a fun fact, school violence and homicide id down, WAY DOWN from what it was ten years ago, and twenty years ago. Be adult, come on. If my generation sucks, your might just suck too. Kent University anyone? McDonalds Massacre? I know that everyone here that thinks this generations "Kids" are very screwed up knows exactly what I am talking about.

As for the "Goth" thing, for the most part, people of that kind are just as good and just as kind as anyone else. I walk around with a tie most the time, feel safer in an elevator with me then someone who wears all black and a strange hairstyle? I can almost bet you that any goth you run into isn't walking around with a MOD Trident in his pocket. I have one in my pocket right now. Who is more dangerous? Well, from what you all think when we are talking about knife ethics and how people act towards YOU because you happen to be armed, neither of us. Why should generations, colors, or faiths be any different? they aren't.

------------------
Robert Joseph Ansbro

If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.-Stanley Kubrick, 1928-1999

www.Cinematopia.com

I am the moderator on the forum "The Balcony" located at Cinematopia, please come support this brand new site

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 12 August 1999).]

How many times after an 'incident' do you see the media interviewing the neighbours and get the following:

"He was such a nice quiet guy, always polite, never made any trouble, etc etc. I never would have belived he was wearing people's head as hats."

Take a look at the Tom Hanks movie "The 'Burbs"

So much for profiles.

Andre

------------------
"The thorn stands to protect the rose, yet it is peaceful and seeks no conflict."

judging people on how they act-fine
judging people on how they dress-its unavoidable, but i dont like it. I wear tanker boots(combat boots, with a strap that winds around the ankle) and inevetibly i get the 'do you plan on killing someone?' comments. I realize the impression these boots leave on some people, and i avoid wearing them to interviews, etc. one of the reasons i like them is that they dont have laces- they are easier to clean, they dont snag or get untied, they dont collect burs, and they dont break-also, they fit nice and tight unlike slip-on type boots.

anyways, back to topic, i feel part of the problem is the pressure to conform, and its real damn hard to have much perspective on life while you are in highschool- i certainly didnt when i was there.
i also used to wear a trenchcoat, i liked the way it looked, but it also kept me warm and dry-much more so then a jacket that only covered my torso.

i dont think its acceptable for people to make such broad and extreme judgements because someone appreciates a certain versatile tool, wears a certain type of dress, listens to a certain type of music, or isnt in the popular-jock crowd.

You know what? You guys should cool it! He is just frustrated by the way he is treated! Rev. is ONLY 15! Yes, 15! Cut him some slack!
You old folks (including me) Should be understanding, after all WE collect knives! Half the time we're rambling about knife rights and here we're bashing a knife user just because he dress differently? I work as a graphic designer and i wear casually to work, does that mean i'm not smart or successful? Do you think someone who wears a tie is smarter or less dangerous? Most of you Coat wearers have knives or guns underneath! Think again, and OLD FOLKS, think hard! You were a james dean when you're young or wish you were! But if you ARE square, MR. Spock. (No offence Trekkies, i'm one too!)

[This message has been edited by keninshiro (edited 12 August 1999).]

Revrend, my advice is to simply not tell people in the future that you collect knives until you have a good idea that they are the kinds who can appreciate your hobby. Also, since you are young, be very careful about what you carry and where you carry it. Needless to say, do not bring even a tiny knife near school!

Since some earlier replies mentioned racial profiling, I will mention this fact: I am a black knife collector. Because of prevailing stereotypes I am very mindful of where I carry particular knives. I do not carry large tactical knives into places where I could reasonably expect to be hassled. Although I wish I did not feel such a need to be careful, overall, it isn't that bad . A Delica or Benchmade 350 is more than capable of handling most utilitarian tasks anyway.

Revrend, my advice is to simply not tell people in the future that you collect knives until you have a good idea that they are the kinds who can appreciate your hobby. Also, since you are young, be very careful about what you carry and where you carry it. Needless to say, do not bring even a tiny knife near school!

Since some earlier replies mentioned racial profiling, I will mention this fact: I am a black knife collector. Because of prevailing stereotypes I am very mindful of where I carry particular knives. I do not carry large tactical knives into places where I could reasonably expect to be hassled. Although I wish I did not feel such a need to be careful, overall, it isn't that bad . A Delica or Benchmade 350 is more than capable of handling most utilitarian tasks anyway.

Reverend:
I also agree it is generally wrong to stereotype others based on external appearances. But again, as mentioned above, it's best if you simply don't tell just anyone about your knife collecting unless you know they will accept it.
I am Asian-American, and I though I'm 36 i appear much younger. When some of my friends and I are at our car talking we've had some hard or nervous looks from upper-middle-class types who seem to view us as gang members (funny, so far no gang member-types have mistook us).
On the other hand, if I see one or more white males with shaved heads, combat-type boots, etc., etc., yes, the alarm bells go off. Sure, not all shaved-heads are skinheads, but I'm not going to let my guard down just because they might not be. (I'm not comparing you to that, but just giving examples). However, I'm aware of everyone...just a natural way to be for me.
Anyway, be what you want to be, and so long as you're a law-abiding citizen you can hold your head high. But remember people will judge others by appearance...happens to me every day in some way, and always will...it's only made me a stronger person.
Jim

Paranoid.Try riding a harley chopper through Kansas,Neb.,or pick a southern state in the middle to late 60's.Long hair and beard.You cannot imagine.
Now when you travel and check into a motel,they actually gove you rags to wipe off your scoot.Serve you brie and other exotic goodies.
Give it some time and they might come around to your way of thinking.Try to maintain a low profile.Did it for years.

------------------

have a"knife"day

Little off topic here.
James Y: Not all skinheads are racist. Most aren't in fact. The minority are racist. I always have to stick up for the skins...

Later,
roadkill2

I'm 14 an I collect knives. I have lots of knives, knives that I carry. I too get flak from people that think I'm out to hurt them because I carry a knife. I'm lucky, I live in the great state of alaska. Moose in the front yard, bears in the back and guns in rusted out chevys. I carry a BM min stryker, I guess I broke Mercury's rules. Tanto, mean serrations, BT2 coated blade and liner lock, oops. If you keep your knives in a nice display box with a lock and some velvet people look at it as more of a collection then a hobby. By the way Rev. where do you live?

Just my 2 Cents,
Jake

Back