How To Patina Experts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by AShearer, May 1, 2017.

1. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    I am not a patina guy as you can probably tell from my photos? Below are photos of my 92 Talon after taking it on the boat with me this weekend. I have no idea how this got patina, especially just from the tang to about a third of the blade? Where does patina come from? I did not slice any food. Is it possible the salt water environment could have caused this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I would definitely say that is from humid, salty air. A good once over with some Flitz would probably clean that right up.

AShearer likes this.
  3. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    I agree with Shawn Alan, humid, salty air. I carried my 01 Bull nose for two days straight while jackhammering....MAJOR PATINA with red rust spots. I'm quite acidic:):D

AShearer likes this.
  4. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    This seems most likely to me. I really have not done anything differently except spend three days on the brackish Chesapeake Bay.
    I can order some Flitz, but I also have Mother's Mag polish, which I actually use on my fiberglass blue hull? Seems safe? I think I've seen others mention it.

I have nothing against patina:) But, I want to have it occur due to something I know I did < if that makes sense?

5. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Mothers Mag Polish is fine. :thumbsup:

6. Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    Yep! This was my 14 after a few particularly sweaty days at work in South Louisiana. Flitz cleaned it up just fine.

[​IMG]

I believe Mother's Mag would work the same. I'm not sure if one is more abrasive than the other.

7. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    Whoa! That is amazing! Just what, being in your pocket? I used to use Flitz on my stainless on the boat, which is a constant chore. Now I use a product called Spotless Stainless which is a citrus based product and only for use on 316 stainless (marine) type. I use Mothers on my fiberglass, so will try it on the blade.
    Actually, since I use my 92 a lot, I don't mind, except it's not "nice" patina if you know what I mean? I have a couple of stainless blades; Case and Kabar (Alcas) on the boat. A good sized, sharp knife is essential on a boat. Somebody gets a leg caught in a line, or whatever.
    Thanks Shawn: Good tip and convincing photo!

8. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    Thanks @LastRodeo I think I read that somewhere.

9. Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    Yeah, early September down here is usually in the upper 80s with 80-90% humidity. I work outdoors, and I'm a particularly sweaty person. The ebony handles would be damp when I pulled it out of my pocket. I've gotten better about drying my knives off periodically. I forced a patina on that particular knife after Flitzing it.

10. Polynikes01

Polynikes01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2016
    @Wurrwulf
    How well does a forced patina actually help regarding corrosion resistance?

11. YellowSwiss

YellowSwiss

Sep 28, 2015
    The hot vinegar patina on my 72 has prevented any actual rust spots from forming. Pretty much like a blue gun. Resistant, but not rust proof.

AShearer, Polynikes01 and Wurrwulf like this.
  12. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    I have used the following metal polishes on my knife blades: Simichrome, Wenol, Mothers Mag Polish. They will all restore a shiny finish to polished metal and will remove patina. I haven't tried Flitz, but it probably works about the same as the others.

13. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Try toothpaste .

14. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I don't know if this is actually how it is, but it seems to me that my patina'd blades are less prone to rusting.
    My house is cooled by a swamp cooler in the summer, so stuff likes to rust.
    The patina free edges of hatchets, and machetes, easily turn a light brown or develop rust specs while anything covered in patina seems to resist it more.
    I've had Matt bead blasted stainless blades develop rust specs when patina'd carbon steel did not.

15. thegeneftw

thegeneftw

Dec 30, 2016
    I'm no expert, but the few I have with a patina tend to get less rust spots on them. I live on the gulf coast of Florida, so just a couple of hours of pocket time outside is all it takes for rust spots to appear.

16. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    So rust in essence is oxygen reacting with the steel of the blade. Humidity and salt agravate this.

The patina makes a barrier that prevents the reaction. It's a really thin barrier so if you've got the knife in salt water the rust will win.

Maybe the blade had been touched right there and that sparked the reaction.

17. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    How long would I leave my blade in mustard to force patina. At what point is it too long and I risk damaging the knife? Which vinegar?

Also the same question except using mustard. How long is too long?

18. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I've only tried this once and I used White Vinegar. I positioned the blade tip down in a clear glass cup so I could watch the progress. I ended up soaking it for 40 minutes because that's the amount of time it took to reach the tint of darkness I was shooting for. It actually was a little darker than it looked when I took it out of the glass.

This was on a Case CV blade.

19. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I did my 2blade tc clip in Barnes hospital while my father was in ICU... Found some packets of mustard in the waiting room.

To answer your question I totally roast mine. I do two or three applications of whatever medium of your choice. You may want to sharpen your knife post treatment (for a contrast).
    Pick one of your less desirable 1095 blades and go "rat rod" on it!
    Either two things will happen.... You'll either think " I have just ruined my knife" or " dag gum that looks good!". Enjoy the hobby

AShearer likes this.
  20. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Alan,

Looks like you got all the necessary advice :thumbsup: If you see a spot of rust that's stubborn, some 1000 to 2000 grit sandpaper (is it really sandpaper at that grit?) will get rid of it--however, you'll either have to polish the whole blade or have a shiny spot (that will eventually patina).

Anthony