Patina question

I've seen one absolutely beautiful forced patina here (dark blue) with cider vinegar (?). It was a gorgeous harmony with an ivory handle. The knife itself was a total treat anyway...
Some of the best steels are corruptible... live with it. There are knives in good old carbon steel still alive and kicking. And beautiful !
I love my 1095 and 1075 knives for their unmatched cutting performance. Patina, stains, pits... whatever. They keep going all the same and will outlive me anyway. If the gunk actually worries you, there are so many outstanding stainless steels nowadays... go nuts ! One of the most common, the 12C27, is a real killer. Favored by Swedish and French cutlers, all the same.

This Sodbuster has become my meat & links knife.

IMAG1795_zpsc0b3d7ce.jpg

It was beautiful out of the box from trevytrev. I can't stand a "clean" carbon blade though. :) It quickly got a few forced patinas, but one day, in between them (was clean at the time), I used the knife to cut up a brat. I was honestly surprised to see that it had given the steel and swirly blue look toward the tip.

I now use the entire blade when cutting meat, but that's as close to "forced" as it's getting.

It's really quite lovely in person, and probably my favorite patina out of all of my knives.

This Sodbuster has become my meat & links knife.

IMAG1795_zpsc0b3d7ce.jpg

It was beautiful out of the box from trevytrev. I can't stand a "clean" carbon blade though. :) It quickly got a few forced patinas, but one day, in between them (was clean at the time), I used the knife to cut up a brat. I was honestly surprised to see that it had given the steel and swirly blue look toward the tip.

I now use the entire blade when cutting meat, but that's as close to "forced" as it's getting.

It's really quite lovely in person, and probably my favorite patina out of all of my knives.

That's nice looking bud! :thumbup:

I have some camping/bushy knives that I am going to start working the patina on....gotta treat some handles and sheaths as well. Been putting this stuff off all summer.

I have a natural patina on my Case SBJ as well as on my GEC 85, In my opinion natural is the way to go there is something of a pride in it.

Maybe I'm just odd but either way I'll post example photos later today.

I regularly strop my carbon steel knives and it removes much of the patina, but even when it looks completely shiny and has a mirror finish, side by side with another unused carbon steel knife you will notice a slight difference. Once the patina gets in there, a microscopic layer remains, filling the pores. You can sand it off, I am sure, but even light polishing leaves it behind, and it does help protect the blade.

It's also true that the metallic taste goes away after a while, much like a cast iron skillet. I notice fingerprints do not cause any corrosion on a knife with even a little patina on it.

My verdict is that it does protect, and it looks classy.

Here are some before and after photos of my EDC (Queen Made Winchester):

Brand New
IMG_3673_zpsaf370f03.jpg

With Natural (not forced) Patina
WinchesterStag3904S_zpsd89c3960.jpg

Thanks SAK.

I hate when my camera turns my pics sideways *sigh*, but here's a better pic of it just now out of my pocket. :)

IMAG1825_zps162d9c57.jpg

Brats. A great way to get a patina.

Thanks SAK.

I hate when my camera turns my pics sideways *sigh*, but here's a better pic of it just now out of my pocket. :)

IMAG1825_zps162d9c57.jpg

Brats. A great way to get a patina.

Well, shoot...now I want a "Yaller" Sodbuster too! :D

ETA: Found a used one on an online auction site for a tad over 15.00! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Ok, it's here! It's used so it already has a patina started....now, for those "Brats"! :D

SoddieJr_zps7a2cdc10.jpg

Armas Blancas, before dinner
IMG_7261.jpg

Force fed patina ;-)

IMG_7321.JPG

the morning after

IMG_7339.JPG

types of patinas (tongue in cheek)
Earned patina, the type that develops from years of exposure to air, without cutting anything
Eating patina, the type that develops in one day if you cut food.
Forced patina, the type that develops in one day if you wipe the blade with vinegar

Last edited:
GEC Northfield Harness Jack Burnt Stag knife.

From this:
gecnfharnessjackburntst.jpg

To this after a day of butchering pigs and then eating port with a light sprinkle of white vinegar on the pork for flavor.
gecnfharnessjackburntst.jpg

Yeah...lots of nice eatin' patina on this thread!!!

I need to upgrade.....my diet! :D

I live in Virginia, and during the summer it is stupid humid. I checked one day, and it was 80%. I've had an Opinel rust just sitting in my desk.
I also tend to go outside to do things, and having a sweaty pocket with a knife in it...

So I tend to force a patina on every knife I own.

py7d.jpg

h39i.jpg

f2ei.jpg

6h3j.jpg

I got great patina results from letting my svord sit in soda a day or two. Very very dark.

Back