Photos Patina thread

draggat draggat Thank you, it's a synth material an acrylic I think. The knife arrived about 3 weeks ago and initially I was outraged. For a brand-new knife it has very poor cosmetic finish on the bolsters, lines badly cut or ground off on one side! Worse, it was terribly blunt an unknown for French knives in my experience. Seller told me the equipment used to make these knives was so old that all the examples were like that- thought that was BS as the other Sabots have been OK-sturdy, bit crude but inexpensive and functional.

Anyway, kept it and decided to edge it and use it. The results have been actually very pleasing as the carbon patinates very well, it slices keenly, and now due to the crudity of the bolsters it looks like an old knife :cool: The pattern is Tonneau which I think translates as Barrel , very comfortable in the hand. The morning oranges stand no chance:eek: and real juice is far better than any crap in cartons, then there's the free patina....It'll be cutting limes and lemons for drinx later today as well.

Regards, Will

z4uTPJS.jpg

draggat draggat Thank you, it's a synth material an acrylic I think. The knife arrived about 3 weeks ago and initially I was outraged. For a brand-new knife it has very poor cosmetic finish on the bolsters, lines badly cut or ground off on one side! Worse, it was terribly blunt an unknown for French knives in my experience. Seller told me the equipment used to make these knives was so old that all the examples were like that- thought that was BS as the other Sabots have been OK-sturdy, bit crude but inexpensive and functional.

Anyway, kept it and decided to edge it and use it. The results have been actually very pleasing as the carbon patinates very well, it slices keenly, and now due to the crudity of the bolsters it looks like an old knife :cool: The pattern is Tonneau which I think translates as Barrel , very comfortable in the hand. The morning oranges stand no chance:eek: and real juice is far better than any crap in cartons, then there's the free patina....It'll be cutting limes and lemons for drinx later today as well.

Regards, Will
I do recall you having trouble with a dealer who sent you a less than stellar knife, and missed the fact that this knife was the one! I actually received a beat up, mis-represented knife from overseas, recently as well. It's a bummer when that happens but looks like it ended well enough. Thanks for sharing!

Back