Pattern description: Sunfish vs. Sleeveboard

Sooo... is it possible for a sleeveboard jack and a swell-end jack to be two different names for the same thing (not universally, but in specific instances)?

~ P.

The careful observer will notice a difference in the elongation and swell between the patterns. It is sometimes subtle but where the sleeveboard is generally straight sided with a rounded end, the swell end...well, swells. Look at some images of (especially) older patterns and you'll see the difference pretty clearly.

Hang on a moment and I'll post an image just by way of one example...

Subtle, but nonetheless not a sleeveboard:

medium800.jpg

In person the gentle swell is a bit more apparent and it has a bit of a "waist". The sleeveboard would be more rigidly straight sided until the curved end (like the ironing board) in most cases.

Companies did and do take liberties with the nomenclature.

Not that I ever fell in love with these two patterns, but I want to thank Elliott and mr. Bose and everyone on this thread (and mostly Pertinux for starting it). I had guessed the difference somehow, but in fact I feel I've learned something new today. So thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Fausto
:cool:

Insofar as whittlers are concerned (and the term is used rather loosely these days), there are those with an actual split spring (you don't see too many these days) and the more common two springs separated by a tapered liner. In each instance the master blade would rest on the full width of either the single or doubled springs while the two accessory blades would each ride on one half of the split or one spring each.

For simplicity's sake, think of the letter "Y" with the accessory blades on either side of the fork and the master on the other end riding on the full width.

Tell me about it, I have a very specific definition for a Whittler and Ive seen those called a whittler that I would never have thought of as one.

Wow...talk about a pregnant sentence!

Subtle, but nonetheless not a sleeveboard:

medium800.jpg

In person the gentle swell is a bit more apparent and it has a bit of a "waist". The sleeveboard would be more rigidly straight sided until the curved end (like the ironing board) in most cases.

Companies did and do take liberties with the nomenclature.

Thanks, Elliot-- pictures really do help. I would not have called the above knife a sleeveboard, but have seen some (what I now know to be) sleeveboards called swell-end jacks.

Most illuminating for me so far is that neither single spring nor pen configuration has anything to do with defining a sleeveboard. The Venn intersection of sleeveboard knives I've seen that also contained those two features had led me to wrongly conclude otherwise.

~ P.

Back