• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Paypal 1099

I had been thinking that I'd just do a Schedule C, but I have also now seen net profit on personal items being intermittently sold reported on a Schedule D as capital gains. Anyone else have thoughts on that approach?

While I understand you being unhappy with this, your anger should be placed toward your Federal representatives that passed this law rather than PP.
This is going to be a headache for PP. They not only have to compile this information, send out 1099's to both us and the IRS, but as you have indicated they will surely loose at least some business. They have no choice in the 1099 part and will not be compensated in any way(as far as I know). Can they do something to make it easier for their customers maybe, and maybe they will. So far only a few states have been getting these. The rest of us will not see anything until 2023.

Agree 100% !!!!

PP I am sure hates this new law more than we do. This is going to be a PITA to them and will cost them major amounts of money as people will likely use FF or other alternative. They did not come up with it. Railing on them is misguided.

Apologies if this has been covered, but just received my 1099-K and wanted to share two points. While I was under the threshold based on net to me (I think I took in like $580 this year, woohoo!), I was just over it for pre-fee sales. So point number 1 is the dollar amount they report to IRS is based on the pre-fee value, meaning we're essentially being asked to report money already taken as a fee as income. Point number 2 is they also included several refunded transactions within the total amount, so my dollar amount is significantly higher than what it should be. Just had to call PayPal to file for an amendment. So take a close look at your forms folks, if they're including re-funded transactions within the income then that just adds another layer of annoyance to this process!

On the plus side, PayPal was actually quite easy to get on the phone and get someone pretty helpful to chat with, so far so good on that and no hard feelings towards them, the poor PP tax office is being pretty inundated at the moment dealing with us angry knife nuts :)

The five years I was self-employed I deducted all expenses of doing business. There were no IRS problems. What most (over 85%) small businesses do is fail to report all gross income.

I think Zelle won't send a 1099.

Official FAQ

Zelle is closer to "PayPal F&F" than "PayPal G&S". It's intended for people you know. When funds are sent via Zelle, the transaction is not easy to reverse or dispute.

I wouldn't recommend Zelle for a transaction with a stranger, but the payment method has some real benefits when doing small transactions between friends and family members.

Zelle is nice to use when both parties to a transaction already know and trust each other, and are willing to forgo an option to dispute.

Apologies if this has been covered, but just received my 1099-K and wanted to share two points. While I was under the threshold based on net to me (I think I took in like $580 this year, woohoo!), I was just over it for pre-fee sales. So point number 1 is the dollar amount they report to IRS is based on the pre-fee value, meaning we're essentially being asked to report money already taken as a fee as income. Point number 2 is they also included several refunded transactions within the total amount, so my dollar amount is significantly higher than what it should be. Just had to call PayPal to file for an amendment. So take a close look at your forms folks, if they're including re-funded transactions within the income then that just adds another layer of annoyance to this process!

On the plus side, PayPal was actually quite easy to get on the phone and get someone pretty helpful to chat with, so far so good on that and no hard feelings towards them, the poor PP tax office is being pretty inundated at the moment dealing with us angry knife nuts :)
Quick update on this, PayPal will not correct for any payments that we’re refunded. So in my case IRS will get a 1099-K for me that grossly overstates my actual payments received and I guess I also have to provide documentation of the refunds as well. Lovely. All for $580 net to me in 2021 on items I paid about $800 for. Congrats IRS, you’re really doing a bang up job of closing the tax gap with this!!

Got my 1099K, and I have no idea how PP determines the values. It says 7 transactions and just under $1300. But my records indicate 14 transactions, and just over $3300. $2k difference? Makes no sense🤨🤔. Last year there was a discrepancy too, but was only a couple hundred dollars, and I think it may have been because one sale was actually F&F. So, totally confused, but at least it's been in my favor.

I think Zelle won't send a 1099.

Official FAQ

Zelle is closer to "PayPal F&F" than "PayPal G&S". It's intended for people you know. When funds are sent via Zelle, the transaction is not easy to reverse or dispute.

I wouldn't recommend Zelle for a transaction with a stranger, but the payment method has some real benefits when doing small transactions between friends and family members.

Zelle is nice to use when both parties to a transaction already know and trust each other, and are willing to forgo an option to dispute.
All third party payment processors are supposed to report with a 1099, not just Paypal.

Quick update on this, PayPal will not correct for any payments that we’re refunded. So in my case IRS will get a 1099-K for me that grossly overstates my actual payments received and I guess I also have to provide documentation of the refunds as well. Lovely. All for $580 net to me in 2021 on items I paid about $800 for. Congrats IRS, you’re really doing a bang up job of closing the tax gap with this!!
That has been pretty typical with them. They report income transactions and don't get into the details of refunds. I have always had to deal with that as part of my normal business bookkeeping in my ledger and there may be a spot of the Schedule C to deal with refunds.

That has been pretty typical with them. They report income transactions and don't get into the details of refunds. I have always had to deal with that as part of my normal business bookkeeping in my ledger and there may be a spot of the Schedule C to deal with refunds.
Definitely possible to address this with the Schedule C, but I really don't feel comfortable with pretending this is a small business in my case since I'm not doing it to make money, and it also doesn't seem right that if I'm selling at a loss that I would get to count that loss to reduce my taxable income. Still playing with my options, but it's always possible just to enter miscellaneous "other" income, include the 1099-K and receipts there, and call it a day. If the IRS really wants to waste their time to see whether I need to be paying a few extra dollars in taxes then so be it :)

All third party payment processors are supposed to report with a 1099, not just Paypal.
This shouldn't include Zelle which is more of a direct transfer method owned by a bank rather than a third party entity, pretty sure Zelle transfers won't trigger a 1099-K.

This shouldn't include Zelle which is more of a direct transfer method owned by a bank rather than a third party entity, pretty sure Zelle transfers won't trigger a 1099-K.
This was being debated as well with the current admin wanting all bank transfers over 600 being logged, if that happens then I guess all bets are off.

Yep, I just worry the unintended consequences of this all will be a green light to fraudsters. With G&S no longer workable it ll be easier for the scammers to hide.

Exactly. That is really the only benefit PayPal provides IMO.

I’ve been making knives on and off for 12 years and have never sold one for a profit. I’ve lost at least $50k at this point. (This is a hobby and not a business or I would have quit a long time ago.)

I’ll simply stop using PayPal before I lose any more money.

I don’t get the 1099 freak outs, if this is in fact the case here. If someone demands to pay g&s, work the tax into the equation. I don’t know why people draw a hard and fast line on the 1099. If you get one, it literally takes seconds to add to your taxes.

I don’t get the 1099 freak outs, if this is in fact the case here. If someone demands to pay g&s, work the tax into the equation. I don’t know why people draw a hard and fast line on the 1099. If you get one, it literally takes seconds to add to your taxes.
Add income tax and sales tax to the sale of a knife that we already paid taxes on? You don't see the big deal? How much does income tax and sales tax add to the sale of a 600.00 knife?

Commerical sales of goods is what they are calling it. Nothing commercial about it.

Not a shocker coming from you.🤡

Add income tax and sales tax to the sale of a knife that we already paid taxes on? You don't see the big deal? How much does income tax and sales tax add to the sale of a 600.00 knife?

Commerical sales of goods is what they are calling it. Nothing commercial about it.

Not a shocker coming from you.🤡
First off, ease up on the personal crap. I know you’re capable of having a discussion without acting childish.

Secondly, if you bake the taxes into the knife, the buyer is paying them, not you. G&S is there to protect the buyers. If you don’t want to afford buyers the ability to protect themselves because YOU‘RE mad about taxes, don’t act surprised if you lose a lot of seller options.

Back