• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

PayPal no longer covers any knives. Just called them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Im not worried about loosing them in transit. I fully insure everything I sell. Its the scammers I'm concerned with. I remember reading way back here on the forums of a guy that received the package but said no knives were in it but instead some metal bolts. It was a legit seller that sent them. It's those type of cases that I'm concerned with.
I actually worked it out with buyer to use my attorney. Money goes to attorney by check or money order and when payment clears he sends knives out for me insured and pays me. This is a rather large amount of money I dealing with so the PayPal fees I save goes to attorney.
thanks
It doesn't need to be that complicated. All you need to do is have a third party sign a list of contents and include a copy inside the box.
Something like I ___________ verify the contents of this box to be xxxxxxxx signed ____________ dated________
You keep the original signed list.
The box should be glued and taped shut using security tape and fully insured.

With paypal banning several right wing people this falls right in line with that.

They shouldn’t be able to deem all knives weapons bc in a sensible state a knife isn’t even considered a weapon

I have 4 years of flawless paypal transactions and have read all the GBU threads during that entire time, I don’t let imaginary worst-case scenarios get in the way of proven success. It seems like you’re trying to convince everybody to stop using paypal, why? Is it so you can feel validaion about not using it too?
I have used PayPal for 17 years or so. I will continue to use PayPal. I bought two knives this week here on forums and used it. Don’t try to accuse someone because they shared an experience. I asked for info not a judge. I just won’t use it to sell anymore. Just like many other members here have done.

Out of curiosity; why don't people use just regular bank transfer in US? Is it costly? Too much hassle?

I have used PayPal for 17 years or so. I will continue to use PayPal. I bought two knives this week here on forums and used it. Don’t try to accuse someone because they shared an experience. I asked for info not a judge. I just won’t use it to sell anymore. Just like many other members here have done.

Your posts in this thread have had little to no actual queries for info, instead being just you sharing the results of phone conversations and opinions on how you can’t trust PayPal as a seller anymore. If the point of this thread was for you to ask for info you didn’t do a very good job of it, because all I read was you sharing reasons why you aren’t going to use Paypal as a seller anymore and it was laid out as if you were trying to prove why it was the best decision to make.

It’s a public forum, you get judged when you post here, it’s natural. Chillax.

Some good knee jerk reactions in this thread.

The large majority of people using paypal will likely never have an actual issue with it. I've used paypal for over 8 years now and i may have had a single problem with a seller on ebay, thats it. So even if knives lose the magical paypal protection, in the end it most likely wont ever affect anyone here. And besides, a dealer stated a few pages back that they had no issues winning a claim. So.

Why would you use certified mail when you can get tracking on things? I have had good luck with the post office. Use a small Priority Mail box.... includes tracking.....

I was looking at PP from the seller's point of view, not the buyer. I assume the USPS stuff makes it in some predictable fashion.

Certified mail IS how you track a letter parcel (if you are the buyer and sending a MO).
So, I gave a sellers point but from a buyers perspective I would think you would see that it’s worse. You send a knife and the USPS loses the MO, what do you do? You’ve got ten weeks to wait to get paid via the process and have to pray you dealt with a scrupulous person.

Definitely used PP G&S multiple times from both Seller and Buyer standpoint, and in the single claim I had as a seller, they sided with me quickly. YMMV.

When did this supposedly change? I opened a case within the last 4-5 months for a scammer that shipped me an empty box. After proving it was empty when the scammer put it in the post, first time it was weighed it was 3oz instead of the 20 or so it should have been, the person I was talking to said they would most likely side with me. They dicked me around for another day or two when I called them back and told them that I would just do a charge back through the card I used.. I received the emails saying they sided with me almost immediately after that.. They knew it was cutlery the whole time and never said anything about it..

Certified mail IS how you track a letter parcel (if you are the buyer and sending a MO).
So, I gave a sellers point but from a buyers perspective I would think you would see that it’s worse. You send a knife and the USPS loses the MO, what do you do? You’ve got ten weeks to wait to get paid via the process and have to pray you dealt with a scrupulous person.
I don't agree with you. Regular tracking via Priority Mail works perfectly well. You don't gain anything unless it is a "signature required" with certified mail. No need for certified mail that takes a week minimum. To each his own.... I find all of this just a pain in the butt and choose not to sell at all. I'll most likely toss them in the trash eventually if the truth be known.

In my experience, the average supervisor is not familiar with the intricacies their company's rules and is not competent to interpret them.
I'd go by the written rules rather than an off the cuff opinion from some minion.

^This.......

Out of curiosity; why don't people use just regular bank transfer in US? Is it costly? Too much hassle?
I think many people are unwilling to provide account info like this is some open door into their account. Bank to Bank transfers work very well in my opinion. I need to refresh my memory on just how to make this happen.

I think many people are unwilling to provide account info like this is some open door into their account. Bank to Bank transfers work very well in my opinion. I need to refresh my memory on just how to make this happen.
I’ve found this to be a cultural thing. My buyers from Europe insist on wire transfer, and US buyers don’t seem to consider it an option.

There can be fees on either or both ends (and currency conversion in some cases) which aren’t always easy to determine, IME. There’s also the trust aspect or buyer/seller protection.

But I’ve seen people (complete strangers) wire amounts in the 5 figures based on nothing more than photographs and emails—and so far, no problems. (This does seem to weed out the non-serious buyers or the person who plans to haggle over the price after the fact. Unless there is a serious flaw, the sale is final and marketed as such—and that’s why insurance is part of the price.)

In my experience, the average supervisor is not familiar with the intricacies their company's rules and is not competent to interpret them.
I'd go by the written rules rather than an off the cuff opinion from some minion.

Exactly. However .... that doesn't mean you won't be facing an uphill battle. Quite a while ago, I tried to get Capital One to personalize my CC with an image of one of my favorite collectible knives. Submitted the image 4 times and each time a supervisor told me they would not do it because the image was of a weapon and violated their terms. Each time I pointed out to them (with the exact words from their terms regarding acceptable images) that the image did not violate their terms and was not classified as a weapon within the scope of those terms. No dice. However, waited a bit more and the 5th submission was the charm. Image was accepted. This is my card image used when creating it. Not offensive and reflects a fine collectible pocket knife .... not a weapon.

qgKwjmt.jpg

I agree, many might not want to provide back account numbers. However, there is another cost free (for most people, as far as I know) way. You should be able to use your bank's "Bill Pay" service to have your bank send the seller a check. Should provide more security for the seller, since it is really not a personal check .... it is a check the bank sends and will only send knowing funds are available in your account. It is even postage free for you. That said ... I will continue to use PP until it becomes an actual problem, rather than a perceived one.

DID YOU SERIOUSLY JUST POST AN UNEDITED PICTURE OF YOUR CREDIT CARD ON THE INTERNET?!ETA: Okay, looks like a placeholder image, bit groggy this AM.

Also, pic is pretty cool.

A load of complete nonsense. Then again, feel free to rely on unsubstantiated assertions from random people on the interwebs.

DID YOU SERIOUSLY JUST POST AN UNEDITED PICTURE OF YOUR CREDIT CARD ON THE INTERNET?!ETA: Okay, looks like a placeholder image, bit groggy this AM.
Also, pic is pretty cool.

Don't worry .... sometimes it takes my eyes a while to work correctly as well!!!!!

This is my take. It seems like there isn't a rule against legal knives and it seems like it would be hard for paypal to defend against accepting payment from a knife dealer on a regular basis, knowing it breaks there rules. I'm not sure it applies here but in a human resources book I just went through, consistent and accurate adherence to the rules by the firm is required for the rule to be used as support in a legal case. If it's being applied inconsistently, then the rule doesn't necessarily support the firm.

For instance, if there is a catwalk without a railing and maintenance personnel use it with a harness and there is a rule that states as such, but the use and enforcement of the harness is spotty then the work is still liable for creating an unsafe work environment. My point being, if paypal supports the sale of knives in some cases but then some supervisors say they don't support the sale of knives and they try to stiff someone at some point saying it's against their rules, I think they would have a very hard time getting that rule to hold up in court since it has been inconsistently applied for quite a while, assuming they don't actually cover legal knives.

At least that's how I am processing this right now. I just find it hard that they will take your money for the service, seemingly aware that legal knives are being tendered, but then refuse the service paid for in inconsistent manners.

As an anecdote, I'm pretty sure I've heard far more stories about paypal helping a seller or buyer show got stiffed by a canceled credit card transaction or shipping an empty box than paypal covering nothing at all because it was a knife. Maybe the fact that it was a knife never came up in the disputes since they really only need to care about the accounting end and whether the transfer of goods happened or not, not necessarily what the goods were.

It can be a lot of hassle and requires the exchange of sensitive information that scammers have used to steal funds, at least that's what I've heard. I know setting up bank to bank transfers between family members to make it easier hasn't always been the easiest, but I'm not sure it requires more information than someone can take from a personal check either.

Getting it setup is a bother though, and usually requires at least a week for processing, from my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back