Pheer or Ameribrade Grinder

jll346

Knife maker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have owned many grinders over the years. Due to some life setbacks I lost everything. Looking into getting a grinder to get back into things. I can not swing what I had before so I was looking at the two I posted. If anyone has any experience with either, you comments would be welcomed. Thanks

Don't have either grinder. Built my own. Recently in fact. I do however have an Ameribrade drive wheel. And the quality is superb! Not only, but it was the least expensive as well. I now recommend Ameribrade wheel kits to everyone! Cheapest Billet aluminum wheel set available, and the quality is comparable to all others....REGARDLESS of price!

Besides that, I know the Pheer is also a quality machine capable of what knife makers need. So my opinion would be whichever is most economical. :thumbsup:

Would definitely purchase a second Pheer 454. Package price was good. Included VFD, small wheel holder and all wheels, 10 inch wheel, flat platen, tool rest and a couple of belts.
The only improvement I want to make is a more adjustable tool rest.
Its better than I am, for now.

I have a Pheer 427 that just runs and runs. I would buy another.

Would definitely purchase a second Pheer 454. Package price was good. Included VFD, small wheel holder and all wheels, 10 inch wheel, flat platen, tool rest and a couple of belts.
The only improvement I want to make is a more adjustable tool rest.
Its better than I am, for now.
I am leaning towards the Pheer. It has excellent reviews plus it accepts KMG arms and parts. None of these more affordable grinders gave a good tool rest. Definitely something to upgrade.

Have you spec'd out the Reeder? They have pretty good prices. For the quality vs. price I don't think they can be beat. If I were to buy a new grinder with budget in mind it would be top on the list.

The ameribrade has a great tool rest that goes from flat to any angle you choose and can be used where the rest is the length of the platen simulating a horizontal grinder.

Be careful choosing based on a tool rest! An adjustable tool rest is an amaizingly easy thing to build! Look at one of the super adjustable work tables now being sold for $200+! Now simply referse the engineer it! A few plates/bars & some round bar of billet or cold roll steel.

They all kind stink so definitely not my decision maker. I am leaning with Pheer as accessories are endless due to being 1.5" tooling arms.

Sorry, but the AmeriBrade looks like it could be made in a high school shop class. Just cheap, spray painted square tubing. Of course it’s probably more than that.

I would maybe look at a basic Northridge or KMG grinder and have a platform you could build up.

I have owned 2 kmg's over the years. Definitely done with the belt driven design. My last grinder was a tw-90 so this is hard as I don't have those funds any more. All kmg accessories can be used on pheer which is leading me that direction.

Last edited:
I don't want to derail because I know you said Pheer or Ameribrade but I have been thinking and researching for quite a while now and the northridge seems the best price for the quality. It is a tad more but a really solid set up.

I completely agree the Northridge may be best made grinder out there. But not cheap and to be expected.

I have a Pheer and have no complaints. Jose is great. I didn't buy the motor or VFD from him, but he still sent me wiring and diagrams even though he didn't need to. Don't know much about Ameribrade. Northridge's grinder is much more expensive than the Pheer and they don't have near the customer service Pheer has.

I completely agree the Northridge may be best made grinder out there. But not cheap and to be expected.
Only cry once! I bought a Coote and it got me making knives I added the Hardcore with was the best built grinder at the time Night & Day Difference .. so if you think the Northridge is the best,,,, Save up and get one!

Like Rhino said, cry once! Also for the same horsepower set up with flat platen and vfd, the pheer is only $150 cheaper.. I would save up another $150 in a heartbeat for the Northridge.

I wonder if the many, many people people who have been using a Pheer year after year wish they had spent the extra $150 on another machine?? I'm gonna guess,,,, NO! I wonder if builders like me, will wish we spent 3x they money and just bought one instead of building our own?

I think I can answer that even easier.

Given the 2 options listed, I'd go with Pheer without a doubt. Personally, I think "compression" based tracking is better than "tension" based tracking, or other words, I'd rather have a spring pushing my tracking arm up, than pulling it. I might, however, go with Ameribrade for their contact wheels and other accessories, as I think they're reasonably priced and seem to be decently put together.

Now all that being said, as long as the grinder is put together well, I'd hesitate to say that one design will grind a knife better than the other. As long as it tracks straight and is u should built solidly, you should be able to make good knives on any of them.
That's not to say that a TW-90 or a Northridge won't be a better grinder then either listed above, but at the end of the day, they'll all grind knives.

Back