Pheer or Ameribrade Grinder

I owned 2 KMG'S and a TW-90. Having lost everything I'm just trying to get back in the game. TW uses a lever/ratchet tension for belts. It tracked flawless. The only thing I did not like on the tw was the platen. It did not pivot like the KMG. What I do like about the Pheer is it uses the KMG platen and has two slots for tooling arms.

Last edited:
Alright so I feel the need to speak up for ameribrade. Hopefully James Helm will chime in as well as he owns an ameribrade.

It’s not made like in shop class, check out their Instagram to see they have a ton of thought and machining into them, also they have an ingenious tension system to allow rock solid tracking and changing belts without adjusting the arm ala kmg and pheer and esteem and nwg and bader.

Also I do not own an ameribrade, I have used a pheer and kmg and bader 2 and 3 and tw90 and burrking as well as the ameribrade. I would say it is as good or better depending on what features you like. It’s well thought out, very stable and durable, no vibrations. Pheer is a great machine too just felt the ameribrade was being mis represented.

Best line I’ve learned is a poor craftsman blames his tools.

Both have great reviews. Exactly my reason for contemplating both. Thanks for the info on the Ameribrade. My only concern with it are the arms and not the normal/popular 1.5" bar stock. They are a one of a kind design.

Last edited:
Hqve you checked out esteem grinders? It was the the best price point for me and I am very happy with mine.

Esteem is nice and I have talked to him. I just really want a two tool arm machine.

Did you look at the Reeder yet? It uses two 1 1/2" pockets. I'm not trying to push their product, just think it fits your requirements and then some.

I have looked at it. I have read some mixed thoughts on it. Still keeping my options open though

Alright so I feel the need to speak up for ameribrade. Hopefully James Helm will chime in as well as he owns an ameribrade.

It’s not made like in shop class, check out their Instagram to see they have a ton of thought and machining into them, also they have an ingenious tension system to allow rock solid tracking and changing belts without adjusting the arm ala kmg and pheer and esteem and nwg and bader.

Also I do not own an ameribrade, I have used a pheer and kmg and bader 2 and 3 and tw90 and burrking as well as the ameribrade. I would say it is as good or better depending on what features you like. It’s well thought out, very stable and durable, no vibrations. Pheer is a great machine too just felt the ameribrade was being mis represented.

Best line I’ve learned is a poor craftsman blames his tools.

I was able to get a hold of James Helm on another forum. He was very informative on the Ameribrade. He is very fond of the machine quality and how it runs. I believe he had some input that improved it for knifemakers.

Oh, here's the thread. :D

Sorry, but the AmeriBrade looks like it could be made in a high school shop class. Just cheap, spray painted square tubing. Of course it’s probably more than that.

I would maybe look at a basic Northridge or KMG grinder and have a platform you could build up.

The AmeriBrade is a fabricated design, but built by two guys whose day jobs are in aerospace. They're powdercoated, a finish I've done on knife blades, and the tubing is heavy-walled, stout stuff. It's very simple and well-executed. I have no experience with the Northridge, which seems good, but it blows my old KMG out of the water.

The proprietary tool arm was a question mark for me when considering it, but they are half the cost of the KMG tool arms. Tracking is great, including on the small wheel holder that I tried for the first time this weekend. My KMG small wheel holder always shoots over to one side when the motor is turned on (even after adjusting while running the belt by hand before turning on the motor), the AmeriBrade stayed true.

He is very fond of the machine quality and how it runs. I believe he had some input that improved it for knifemakers.

With their older platen chassis, there was a knuckle clearance issue when grinding knives if you have large hands. It's not something that a fabrication shop would run into, but it does affect knifemakers. I talked with them about it and told them to bring the wheels and platen two inches further forward of the pivot point, and showed them the KMG platen chassis I had trimmed down for clearance working on the slack belt. They made the suggested changes and the platen chassis on the right is now their standard, compared with the original on the left.

platenchassis by James Helm, on Flickr

Short answer, the way I put it is that usually you get what you pay for, but sometimes you find a bargain. The AmeriBrade is a bargain. At least a couple of makers have bought AmeriBrades based on my recommendation and both of them have been happy with it.

The small wheel attachment on my grinder, used at a hammer-in this weekend.

smallwheel by James Helm, on Flickr

There is an optional attachment that lets you pull the angle of the belt down very tight. This pic is from their website.

smallwheel02 by James Helm, on Flickr

The small wheel holder is set up to use two (maybe three?) different types of small wheels, and will fit on either their own tool arm or a KMG-style arm.

The small wheel attachment on my grinder, used at a hammer-in this weekend.

smallwheel by James Helm, on Flickr

There is an optional attachment that lets you pull the angle of the belt down very tight. This pic is from their website.

smallwheel02 by James Helm, on Flickr

The small wheel holder is set up to use two (maybe three?) different types of small wheels, and will fit on either their own tool arm or a KMG-style arm.
Hello James! How the hell are ya?? My Wiltmont Tag 101 Grinder has a Small Wheel Adaptor like in your last pic with the wheel holder down the belt.. an excellent way to get access to the true diameter of the chosen wheel! I love my Hardcore Grinder the most for its smooth tracking and low noise but the Small Wheel set up just plain sucks in comparison., LOL

Well I ordered my Ameribrade last night. After much debt and multiple calls to Kevin and Eric it was an easy decision. Looking forward to my grinder and what they have coming in the near future.

Congrats bud! Absolutely the RIGHT decision! Not because it's a particular brand, but because you took the time to research and inform yourself. You didn't just "jump" into purchasing an expensive piece of machinery at a glance, or because one person told you to! You made an informed decision, and that is always the correct one! I respect research.. Great job!:)

On the side, I am using an Ameribrade drive wheel. And I wouldn't purchase any other! Super high quality! Easily compares to wheels costing almost TWICE as much!

They all grind. Just a matter of quality, features, and price

No I just ordered it 4 days ago. They have a two week build time trying to catch up. Plus I had a few extra requests which they are awesome enough to make for me!! Just another reason I went with them.

I have an Ameribrade, I love it. I dont have any real complaints save a few very minor annoyances that are easy fixes. But keep in mind i was doing everything on a 1"x 30" Harbor Frieght POS before.

Due to endless bad luck and a severe injury I had to cancel my Ameribrade order. Hopefully once I heal some good luck will come my way.

Back