Philosophy of carrying a knife?

Primarily, self defense. Secondarily, just to use to cut open a letter, box or whatever. Carry a karambit for the former and a folder for the latter; both at the same time.

In fact, I just used my karambit in justifyable SD this evening. Drunk & disorderly and battery charges filed against the assailant, who was arrested.

Guy was itching for a fight. Was minding my own business, eating a salad and drinking a beer at a local sports bar while watching the post-game interviews after the Niners game. He sat next to me and pushed against me. I moved and asked if he had enough room. He moved in even closer and asked me if I wanted to fight. Told him no, I didn't want to fight and wished him a Happy Halloween. He then apologized and appeared to let it go but then I called 911 to report him as a possible "drunk and disorderly" person under PC 647(f).

Was actually on the phone w/local 911 when I was attacked and that was probably why I was attacked. Knocked me on my ass off a tall stool seat and the phone out of my hand but as I fell I instinctively drew my small Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika karambit. It only has a 1" blade but it's razor sharp and still cut him w/it thru the heavy jacket that he was wearing. No time for any fancy blocks or counter moves; could have killed him if I did.

No charges filed against me because I was in reasonable fear of "great bodily injury" as a result of the attack. The assailant weighed at least 250# and only weigh 150. They also have a 911 tape of the call and incident while it was in progress.

PD arrived just a few mins after I was attacked. ID'd myself as a retired LEO and described my side of the incident. Had a least 5 witnesses (including another retired LEO who was known to some of the responding officers) who supported my version of the incident.

The knife was confiscated as evidence as I expected would happen. Took awhile for the supervising officer to ask for it. Didn't volunteer it but gave it up promptly when he asked for it. I expect it to be returned to me eventually (who knows when?) but I have another. Just be aware that if you use a weapon (any weapon) in SD or otherwise, that it will automatically be seized as evidence. So, don't ever carry your favorite knife (or gun) as your EDC.

Fell directly on my ass on a hard floor. My ass hurts more now that it did immediately after the incident; probably because I'm now coming down off of the adrenaline rush. By coincidence, I have a doctor's appt tomorrow and, if still hurts then, I'm going to ask for x-rays of my pelvis (and my left elbow which also hurts) and report any fractures to the supervising officer.

PS: Some will probably say that it would have been better if I carried a gun (which can do legally) but a gun would have not prevented the attack because it was so sudden and he was so close to me and, even if I had drawn a gun after falling to the floor, it would have probably just resulted in chaos (even after I ID's myself as a retired LEO). It would have been even worse if I actually shot him in response and, even if I drew the gun but didn't shoot him, they probably would still have confiscated my gun.

So, better a knife in this and similar situations IMO.

PPS: I was also carrying a 4" long Spyderco fluted Ti Millie at the time but there was not enough time to draw it and I would have hated to had that confiscated in the process because it is a very special knife. However, this incident just goes to prove (at least to me) that if you are going to carry a knife for SD, better to carry a fixed blade knife for that purpose than a folder.

BTW, there was no discussion of whether I was legally carrying the karambit -- ie., whether it was concealed or not -- before I deployed it. Hence, no such charges were filed against me and no way any such charges can be filed against me after the fact, unless I admit to concealed carry which of course I would not do.

This is why I don't go to bars. Drunken maniacs.
I am glad you are OK! Sorry you got knocked about too. Best wishes from Asheville, NC
the drunk and disorderly capital of NC.

The best EDC knife is the one you have available when you really need it.:)
WDhrVFS.jpg

That looks bad.

For me carrying a knife started when I was a teenager . My first job was a factory worker , unloading trucks and putting the merchandise in stock . I was 1A and lucky to get the job before I was drafted . After the service , working in the printing business you always were cutting straps , cases and reams open . To me a knife made my job easier , it's a very useful tool . Now I'm retired and still carry a knife still wind up cutting open something every day . I carry a 3.5" knife , any type I want . There are times it should be left in the car or home . That's coming from a guy that Always gets pulled off the line at every airport . My family gets a kick out of it and I'm use to it .

I think I sometimes spend too much time on the forums. I'm often times disheartened peering into the lives of my fellow members.

For some folks the knife thing is bordering hoarding and still for others there is so much emotion tied up in desire...wanting a knife and not being able to afford it or whatever the case may be. So a knife philosophy sometimes doesn't encompass practical usage. It can be an object desire and in some negative reads it's a representation of what a person doesn't have in their lives. I don't know what to make of this aspect of the hobby.

Primarily, self defense. Secondarily, just to use to cut open a letter, box or whatever. Carry a karambit for the former and a folder for the latter; both at the same time.

In fact, I just used my karambit in justifyable SD this evening... Knocked me on my ass off a tall stool seat... I instinctively drew my small Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika karambit... cut him w/it thru the heavy jacket that he was wearing. No time for any fancy blocks or counter moves; could have killed him if I did...

The knife was confiscated as evidence as I expected would happen... if you use a weapon (any weapon) in SD or otherwise, that it will automatically be seized as evidence. So, don't ever carry your favorite knife (or gun) as your EDC...

PS: Some will probably say that it would have been better if I carried a gun (which can do legally) but a gun would have not prevented the attack because it was so sudden and he was so close to me and, even if I had drawn a gun after falling to the floor, it would have probably just resulted in chaos (even after I ID's myself as a retired LEO). It would have been even worse if I actually shot him in response and, even if I drew the gun but didn't shoot him, they probably would still have confiscated my gun...

So, better a knife in this and similar situations IMO.

You are absolutely right about carrying fancy high-end knives for self defense. The same is true for decked out, high end handguns. If you ever do need it, you might not see it again.

Two things stand out here that might be worth exploring. First, what do you mean by "No time for any fancy blocks or counter moves; could have killed him if I did"?

Second, this sounds like a case of an attacker being right up on you. This is an important case for self defense. It's actually something I've been discussing a lot lately over on The Firing Line forum. This is the kind of quick and impeded situation in which issues like having a round in the chamber or having to actuate a manual safety become critical. I'm especially curious about situations where you wouldn't even be able to draw a firearm, but you could draw a knife.

As you have more time, I'd like to read more about your encounter.

HELLO EVERYONE,

I've found that you never realize how handy having a knife on you is until you have one with you all the time. Gentlemen, get one with a clip and carry in your back pocket. Ladies, handbags are a great place for this if you carry one, and no one will be the wiser. 9apps cartoon hd

THANKS AND REGARDS

Last edited:
I like to carry... AND ACTUALLY USE... relatively lighter weight knives, that fit in my pants pocket, that are sharp, hold an edge, have a strong lock, legal here blade under 3.5 inches and I enjoy using. PM2, Sage 2, Manix 2 CF S90V. Anything more than four ounces plus, I tend to shy away from.

My simple philosophy is this: I like knives and think they're cool, I buy knives, I carry knives and I use knives. However, I am a simple unsophisticate so there's that...

I like what I like, whether it fits the current trends or not. Almost 40 years ago, I discovered that I like SAKs better than the typical multi-bladed, knife blade-only pocketknives. With all the great technological and creative strides, I still carry a SAK (or rather, two of them) and use them every single day.

I also carry either a Spyderco or CRK. I’m not afraid of using my CRKs or Spydercos, but oddly enough, I never feel any hesitation about using my CRKs. I don’t hesitate with my Spydercos either, except for a couple older ones that have sentimental value (one is an old Spyderco Tim Wegner hunter in ATS-34). The Spyderco I’m currently focusing on is my G-10 Manix 2 with DLC coating. It’s not the latest, most talked-about Spyderco, but I love it, and it’s the most comfortable in hand of my knives.

My thoughts have mostly become: After I’m dead and gone, I have no idea what will become of my knives, as I know of nobody who would want to inherit them. Certainly none of my relatives. So I might as well enjoy them myself in this lifetime and not worry too much about messing them up a bit.

Jim

Last edited:
HELLO EVERYONE,

I've found that you never realize how handy having a knife on you is until you have one with you all the time. Gentlemen, get one with a clip and carry in your back pocket. Ladies, handbags are a great place for this if you carry one, and no one will be the wiser. 9apps cartoon hd

THANKS AND REGARDS
I've tried pocket clips. I don't care for them because they can cause hotspots, and with the knife held vertically in the front pocket, they poke me in the leg while pedaling.
I also don't trust a clip to keep the knife in my pocket. I find rear pocket carry uncomfortable, and thanks to a heteditary degenerative bone/joint disorder, I find it difficult to reach my right rear pocket on some days. (left rear pocket is not an option. Left wrist has been messed up with very limited mobility since I was 1 year old.
I've never been able to use front or rear left side pockets.)

I lost my last modern one hand opener with pocket clip (Ontarion RAT 1 with AUS8 blade) when it fell out of my pocket somewhere on the multi-use trail. I back-tracked as soon as I discivered it was missing, but I didn't find it.

I much prefer (and carry every day) a Buck 110 or 112 or a Old Timer 7OT or 6OT in a belt pouch.
It is out of the way, and I don't notice that under half a pound on my belt.

In over 55 years, I've yet to lose a slipjoint just dropped loose in my RFP, or the belt knife while pedaling.
I've generally speaking had at least 3 slipjoints of different patterns in RFP (sometimes a couple more) plus the Buck or Old Timer on the belt 24/7/365.25 since roughly 1968/1969.

Depending on what I expect to do on any given day, I'll change out one or two of the slipjoints. I always try to have a large stockman and a 4 blade scout/camp knife or SAK 'Huntsman' on me.
Other knives carried depending on my mood any given day include (but is not limited to) a Canoe, Barlow, Large Sunfish, and Rough Rider 'Half Hawk'.

Fact #1: No one blade profile is "ideal" for every cutting task.
Therefore, I carry a variety of blade profiles on the off-chance that I'll have the "right" blade profile for whatever cutting task rears it's (potentially ugly) head during that day. :)

Last edited:
I don’t carry a knife, only have a user in my rangebag. It’s illegal in my country to carry a knife. I collect knives, because a voice in my head tells me to. I collect custom fixed blades which very often exceed €1000 in price. I don’t use em, I only play with them.
For the rest I’m fine...o_O
My wife hates me for it, but I don’t mind, I’m sick and tired of her too, after all these years.
I have a dachshund, who really doesn’t mind.

Last edited:
I think I sometimes spend too much time on the forums. I'm often times disheartened peering into the lives of my fellow members.

For some folks the knife thing is bordering hoarding and still for others there is so much emotion tied up in desire...wanting a knife and not being able to afford it or whatever the case may be. So a knife philosophy sometimes doesn't encompass practical usage. It can be an object desire and in some negative reads it's a representation of what a person doesn't have in their lives. I don't know what to make of this aspect of the hobby.
I'm afraid I don't understand the term hoarding relative to knives. So you have a lot of knives, does that mean you're a hoarder? I think not. As far as the other part of the post goes, I don't envision dreaming about a $1000 knife and I doubt many do. I suspect for most here, if they really want a $1000 knife, they'll find a way to get it. But I might "dream" about getting a fancy car or truck, but not knives. I may lust for a particular knife..... Now I'm lusting for a SOG Powerpint. But it's real affordable and I suspect it's a good useful small multi-tool. It will go with me on my photography forays. Seems I need to adjust my tripod from time to time and I might as well have the tools with me rather than waiting to get home.

Last edited:
No philosophy, but I usually have 3-4 knives in the RFP, plus a small channellock. Because I carry a few, I keep them small and cheap. This week, I have made an exception for a Maserin Plow in place of the usual Opinel 6. There is an SAK and usually an Okapi Biltong. I like to have at least one straight edge.

I do have a philosophy for EDC and knives in general. I am a user and not a collector. I won't buy or carry a knife I am reluctant to use. 90% of the time it's my sak Spartan.

Last edited:
I consider knives to be tools. I have many tools but that does not make me a collector per se. Same with knives. I have very few knives that I don't use, and the most expensive ones were gifts - amongst them my literally everyday carry knife for the last 30 years, a high-end Laguiole that I only leave at home when I go somewhere there is a real risk of seeing it confiscated (air travel, centre of Paris when there are demonstrations...).

Most of my knives are fixed blades, apart from the Laguiole, one or two SAKs and Opinels, and are squarely in the 'beater' category: Mora Companions, Hultafors, Terävä Jääkkäripuukkos, Skrama, Tramontina machete and such. We have a large yard with lots of trees and bushes that need pruning, firewood to be cut and split, etc. So I have a system of cutting tools that includes a chainsaw, a few Silky saws including a long pole saw, a scythe, pruning shears, and a couple of axes. Plus the knives. I cut with them, scrape with them, pry with them, drill and sometimes dig with them.
For field sharpening I use hardfoam nail files in 100/180 grit, once back indoors I grab a small sharpening stone, a ceramic rod or my Gransfors sharpening puck before going any further to larger stones. I don't want to spend hours touching up a knife. If I don't like a factory grind, out comes the old belt sander (for wood) and I probably do things to blades that will make some people cringe. They don't have to look pretty, they have to cut. Nor do I care for hair-popping edges, I need good working edges that last, so my blades tend to have secondary bevels that are convexed, apart from a few Mora Companions that are still too young. Paper slicing sharp is fine.
So I work with my knives, I keep them clean and sharp but don't care about pretty. They must be tough, but not too thick either. I prefer fully enclosed tangs to full-width visible ones so I can use a knife in cold weather and touch, deliberately or by accident, a live wire without electrocuting myself. I won't buy a knife that I know I probably won't really use. Nor do I care about resale value. A good tool steel is good enough. I don't have a database of supersteels in my head. A good beater knife does not need to cost beyond 100 euros (or dollars). Above that, it's mostly about nicer finish and embellishments, or about rare items that are custom made. I can't afford to throw money at that.
Is all the above a philosophy? Maybe that's a big word. 'I need a cutting tool that works, won't break too easily and is not crazy expensive.'

Back