Philosophy of carrying a knife?

There’s no need to put a lot of thought into it, just carry whatever works for you.

OP, seems like you’ve come full circle. We all get there eventually.

I believe we all get to a point where we just like what we like, and don’t pay any mind if anybody else likes it, or hates it. That’s blade zen.
........ these two posts pretty much sum it up for me.

"Philosophy" seems a bit far fetched. I had always a liking for knives and cutting tools. As far as I remember, I was always keen to have a sort of knife in my pocket, on my belt or in my pack. I still feel weird when I forget to pocket a knife in the morning (although there's the necker, the folder on the keychain, the folder in the purse, sigh...). It's more a kind of lifestyle, if I'm pressed into theorizing it. I keep "philosophy" for those night long talks around the fire with a bottle of scotch. There's some good philosophy flowing...

OP, seems like you’ve come full circle. We all get there eventually.

I believe we all get to a point where we just like what we like, and don’t pay any mind if anybody else likes it, or hates it. That’s blade zen.
I do the full circle once a year. That's my philosophy.

I used to obsess over steels and such, but the truth is that I can't readily afford the lastest and greatest. I also can't afford to collect (what I buy I have to use). I have tried only a few steels, but I really find that I like 1095. My favorite EDC is a Spyderco with a 8cr13MOV. It is my least expensive knife. I also don't care one bit about resale value in anything that I own. I'm gonna used it, it's going to get dull, I'm going to sharpen it. If that decreased what someone is willing to pay for it, so be it.

You might be so true it could kill the discussion. But that's totally cool. Fry philosophy in a cast skillet with bacon and eggs !

Back