1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photobucket and Others Restricting Service

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Boxer .45, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    [​IMG]
    I never paid a cent and my account is still working. It's been a good ride.

2. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    I guess you don't understand how these free sites work. They are a draw for advertising. They make millions in advertising revenue by providing an inexpensive (to them) repository for digital images. What Photobucket has done is crippled many forums and blogs, wiped out tons of personal websites and destroyed a lot of small business websites by effectively removing all digital imagery. Now they are attempting to extort millions from these people by charging them to restore those images.
    What they claim is 3rd party hosting is nothing of the sort. Every picture posted on every forum or blog is a link back to the PB site and is a potential source of income.

Boxer .45 and spyderHS08 like this.
  3. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    I believe your expectations of free services is more than mine is.. I'm just grateful for what I got from them. Did you really think your photos would be stored there for free, forever? You must be constantly disappointed. Be careful of claims from "as seen on TV products"...they don't live up to their promises either.

lieferung likes this.
  4. taldesta

taldesta Retired :-) Time is the Gold Platinum Member

Jan 24, 2013
    duplicate post due to re-direct

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  5. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
  6. Jammer Six

Jammer Six

Jan 26, 2015
    That cracked me up.

Stelth likes this.
  7. Jammer Six

Jammer Six

Jan 26, 2015
    Well, one of the two of you doesn't understand how they work...

8. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    SnG_004.jpg
    This pic was posted directly from my PC with no photo hosting site involvement at all. Seems pretty clear to me. I thought all gold members and above could do this??

9. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    What's the limit on total pictures you can post)

10. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    And what happens to the pics you have posted if your membership lapses?

11. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    I successfully downloaded all my 1,744 pictures from PhotoBucket to my local computer.

In PhotoBuckets go to Library > Album and on the right hand side under ACTIONS you'll see "Download album". It takes a while so be patient. The pictures will be in a compressed archive zip file.

I suggest everyone who cares about their PB pictures to do the same. You never know if PB goes belly-up.

Also, if you go past your storage limit and if your membership lapses "Photobucket may also delete some or all of Your Content so as to reduce your storage space below the applicable Content Limit, which would result in the conversion of your Plus account to a free account".

"If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a Paying Member". So, if your free limit is 2GB and you exceed it you'll no longer be able to have a free account.

Also, "Photobucket has the right to change the limits at any time."

Read more: http://photobucket.com/terms

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    taldesta likes this.
  12. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    When I first started posting pics on BF, I used Imageshack, it was very simple, and free. Then a couple of years in, they decided they were going to start charging for the service. They promised that all previously uploaded images would still be hosted though. They lied.

Like most users, I didn’t think much to the BF upload software at the time, and the general consensus seemed to be that Photobucket was the way to go, so I set up a PB account, and started using that. PB was OK for a while, but over the years, the problems with it seemed to get worse, so I experimented with other services. I set up an Imgur account a couple of years ago, but didn’t like it so much, so I’ve mainly used it when PB has been down. I’ve also used Google, and one or two others.

Around a year ago, PB just went crazy with pop-up ads, to the point it was virtually unusable, and on the recommendation of one of our mods, I decided to upgrade to an ‘Ad-Free’ account. This was $9.99 a year, but I see it’s stealthily increased to $2.49 a month. Since then though, I’ve not had too many problems with PB – until now! My PB pics are still showing, but how long for remains to be seen.

Imgur seems to be the hosting service people are now recommending, just as they were Photobucket in the past, but I’m unconvinced Imgur won’t behave, in the future, just as Photobucket and Imageshack did. The same goes for Google. The new BF upload software seems to work OK, but it has limitations, and may also be subject to future changes which could kill the pre-existing links.

I think what PB have done is despicable, and I don’t want to give my money to a company who behaves like this, so I guess my pics are going to come down when I kill my account, if not before. I have copies of all my photos stored on my PC, so that's not an issue for me. I mainly post in Traditional, and post a lot of pics there. I’ve also posted a lot of threads in the past which relate to knife history. The only reason I’ve stuck with PB is to keep the pics in those threads in place, but the recent BF software changes have already scrambled the text on mine and every other pre-existing thread. The worst thing about it is that there’s no way to re-edit old threads, where posts exceed the new limit, so even if I upload all my pics to Imgur, I can’t edit the new links into those posts. Editing some of those threads would be a lot of work, but I’d do it if there were a way.

taldesta likes this.
  13. Jammer Six

Jammer Six

Jan 26, 2015
    I'd say that about sums this "argument" up.

14. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I don't what the limit is for gold members. I reached it once, but I had a whole bunch of pics on BF at that time and most weren't relevant anymore. So I deleted them and then I was G-T-G again.

My BF membership? Don't know... I've never lapsed. And if I do ever go away, I probably won't care what happens to the pics I've posted over the years.

15. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Interestingly, I went back to another forum on which I used to be active to check the status of my images there. What I have posted here with photobucket is gone, my (PB) content there is still intact. That's about 12 yrs worth of images there, in comparison to 3 here. Other members have also stated that there images are still showing on some forums, and not others...I wonder why? It would seem that when Photobucket targets an individual's account, it would make sense to just zap everything. Maybe I just looked at content that was prior to their current code scrambling, so it wasn't as easily included? What about platform issues? That other forum is VBulletin. Have people had their hosted images removed from VBulletin forums? Or is it only the more modern platforms, like XenForo that are getting nailed.

As far as the issue of attachment limitations - I don't know what values are in place here...but on the old BF, it was an issue because it was difficult to actually remove them. Aside from that, removing the attachments causes the same disruptions that these broken IMG links cause - the content is lost from the site. Not a big deal if your images are only in ads, or What's in your pocket type threads; but if one puts the effort into meaningful content, stripping that content periodically is not a desirable option.

16. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Personally, regarding these PhotoBuckets (PB) shenanigans, there's no difference between a vBulletin nor XenForo run forums.

PB is doing some crazy algorithms perhaps to entice the most dollars in the shortest amount of time or be bought out. They're not endearing themselves to their core customers whose wealth of images has driven the site for so many years.

I now have exact copies of my PB photos but I won't be adding any new ones nor deleting my PB account.

Well, even life is sprinkled/scattered with broken links! :)

One just moves on...

Stelth likes this.
  17. sahunter06

sahunter06 Knifemaker/service provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 11, 2013
    So now we cannot see wip's that have photo bucket? I'm just checking. I saw a john white Bowie wip last week and now I cannot find it?? Sorry for the dumb question just asking...

18. Pomsbz

Pomsbz Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Am I the only one expecting that in a few weeks they'll post a statement saying something along the lines of 'we didn't realise there would be so much negative feedback and to show that we listen to our customer base we are dropping the price hugely to only $40 a year for third party hosting'.

They'll make a killing. People will weigh up changing thousands of photos on various forums vs their anger and fold. Even if it's only 50%, they will have made a fortune. If only from the stock price shenanigans it will have caused.

Anyone think I'm just being cynical? :)

19. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I don't think you are considering the residual anger. I don't think there will be relief as mush as vitriol (baaaaad swear words :mad::mad:) and a go to hell response. Anyway - remains to be seen if PB will back down. I doubt it.

Ray

Boxer .45 likes this.
  20. C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2000
    I posted this in the other threads, but it is worth repeating here.

Thanks to Thurin for pointing out...
    Whelp...if you are using..
    Using IMGUR is a risk!

I have been seeing a lot of people stating that they use it and will be using it to post photos to forums. As Thurin points out, the Imgur TOS specifically mention this

http://imgur.com/tos

With the influx of ex-Photobucket users using Imgur to link photos to forums, I'll bet the bandwidth spike will be enough to draw some attention.