Photography Forum/Sub-Forum?

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Community Center Forum > Tech. Support Forums > Computer Class

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Community Center Forum > Tech. Support Forums > Photography Class

I'm up for both. Both Coop and Evolute for Photog mods. The Computer Class can be unmoderated.

I would, personally, suggest against making them subforms simply because of how our current forum software displays subforums. When one forum is a subform of another, the top-level menu displays the latest post in either as the lastest post in both.

I agree with Gollnick's point about sub-forums, above.

Additionally, putting it under "Tech. Support" implies that the subject matter discussed will be "technical support". Tech support is much narrower than the totality of photography subjects I'd like to welcome in the forum. Similarly, I see it as not-preferable to call it "Photography Class"; I think just "Photography" would be preferable. Why incorrectly overly narrow down people's understanding of what to expect to find, and what is appropriate to post?

However, these are all relatively minor issues; not something I disagree with so strongly that I'll make an issue about it.

Good, we have people thinking and planning ahead.

Ken, I like your thinking. Very left brain, just like me. :D That said, I have to agree with the subforum process as poor as it displays now.

Forum names can be changed easily. Less is better.

I think this also shows that Ken isn't resistant to a Digital forum. I don't mean to put the Photography forum in there, but this is the new millenia and we have a LOT of electronics filling our lives. Having a specific place for this would make the BF community well-rounded. I'm just saying.

Mike(s), thanks for the vote of support. :)

The powers of a good moderator are far and away removed from their knowledge of a particular topic. It's generally about staying clear of the discussions, yet creating a suitable playing field for discussions while diffusing difficulties almost transparentlly. Still, I am a participant, to a fair degree.

Being open-minded is paramount. Being open-minded is paramount. So important it deserves to be mentioned twice. ;)

Mike (evolute) would agree with me on this. :thumbup: I could be coerced.

Coop

It sounds to me like Coop and I are on board as mods; and Ken, Esav, Chuck, and Mike feel affirmatively inclined. I don't see any disapproval nor serious issues raised.

Spark, do you have other concerns we should iron out?

Shall we go for it?

How about this set up?

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Community Center Forum > BFC Tech Forums > Computers

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Community Center Forum > BFC Tech Forums > Photography

Evolute and Coop can come up with the description of what the Photography Forum will consist of.

I don't think it has to be so complicated.

Under Knife Community, we have Sub-Forums: Community Center, Whine & Cheese (with daughter forum), Current Events (with daughter forum Political Arena) and Gadgets & Gear.

Then we have subsections for Regional Communities and Tactics & Training. Add a subsection for Equipment and put Gadgets & Gear, Photography, and Computers under it. They won't be daughter forums with the overlapping displays on the forum lists.

If we add a Kitchen and Cooking forum, it could go in the General Knife Discussion section.

How about this set up?

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Community Center Forum > BFC Tech Forums > Computers

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Community Center Forum > BFC Tech Forums > Photography

I don't think it has to be so complicated.

Under Knife Community, we have Sub-Forums: Community Center, Whine & Cheese (with daughter forum), Current Events (with daughter forum Political Arena) and Gadgets & Gear.

Then we have subsections for Regional Communities and Tactics & Training. Add a subsection for Equipment and put Gadgets & Gear, Photography, and Computers under it. They won't be daughter forums with the overlapping displays on the forum lists.
So in Esav's vision it would look like this:

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Equipment > Computers

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Equipment > Photography

BladeForums.com > Knife Community > Equipment > Gadgets & Gear

OK. Works for me.

Ken, would the simple term 'Computers' limit what might be of value/interest? I'm thinking out loud: Websites and software, portable PDA's and phones, Scanners, Printers, etc. Computer and Electronics?

Thanks, guys!

Coop

On each forum page, there's a heading with the forum name and definition. That definition could be exactly as you suggested:

Computers
Websites and software, portable PDA's and phones, Scanners, Printers, etc.

As a highfalutin artiste ;) , I wouldn't choose to put photography under "equipment", either. But, it has to go somewhere, so – that sounds good. :thumbup:

I'm not committed to Equipment, either. But it's a good midpoint term among the three potential forums. All three of them are more than just the equipment, they are also the use, of course.

Hey, I'm a oddist, too, I write pomes!

I would like to suggest -- and it's just a suggestion -- that a knife photography forum NOT be grouped with Gadgets and Gear / Equipment type stuff. I am hoping that this forum will be much more about technique, lighting, composition, editting, etc. than about cameras and equipment.

If it has to be a sub-forum, I would suggest making it a sib-form of the Gallery forum.

I hear ya', Chuck. Good suggestion. Now that said, if the threads start pointing to Photo Equipment, I wouldn't want them frowned upon. Mike and I talked this evening and we both agreed that no subcategory would be perfect.

Truth be told there will invariably be aspects of technique and vision in some posts and hardcore tech speak in other threads. My guess is that people are going to find the forum no matter what corner it's hidden in.

Let's make it not too hard, though. :)

Coop

... if the threads start pointing to Photo Equipment, I wouldn't want them frowned upon.

Equipment should be part of what such a forum would, I hope, discuss.

But, I hope that equipment would be only one part of the discussion. The camera is, afterall, only one part of what it takes to make a good (much less a great) picture.

There are plenty of people out there with great, very expensive, very impressive cameras taking very poor pictures.

Coop sent me a link. Thanks, bro.
If if has to do with photography, I'm interested.
I shoot knives...
orig.jpg

...and lots of other stuff.
I especially enjoy lighting challenges as in portraits,
orig.jpg

or shooting outside in difficult conditions.
orig.jpg

I love to learn and am always willing to share what I know. Count me in. :thumbup:

Buddy,

Nice to meet you. If the Blade Forums administration chooses to create the forum, it will be good to have you participating, there. I look forward to getting to know you.

Hi Spark (Kevin),

Are you still mulling this over? Talk to us. What are your reservations, if any?

For starters, I would like to create a simple tutorial for posting pictures, through the BF Gold+ features and/or via photo hosting. It might very well reside in Service and Support, as that seems to be the repository for that often-asked query. Your suggestion is welcome.

Keep us posted. Thanks.

Coop

A Photography Sub-Forum would be greatly appreciated and would help to round out BF in all aspects off knife interests and ownership. This place has the willing talent to moderate and structure it. There are a lot of people hungry for photo guidance that don't have a place to look to for it. Photography can be intimidating to some folks and being in the midst of fellow members of BF, instead of a website dedicated strictly to photographers, should show a promising increase in member participation. Folks don't care if they ask questions that they think could be silly to other knifers in a relaxed atmosphere. The more they learn the more the sub-forum will grow. I doubt it would be a dud.

Build it and they will come.

Greg

So, what's the scoop? The silence is deafening. ;)

Is this query going to fall off the page, or can we discuss it further?

Thanks.

Coop

I'm not going to create two separate photography forums in addition to the Gallery. If I create another forum on the topic, it'd be "Cameras: Equipment & How to Use it" or something similar. Let's not get too crazy with the topic drift and specialization.

Back