Picking Out A ZT

In a previous post, I asked for recommendations for a new knife that would be built like a tank. I decided rather than spend the money on one that was suggested, I'm going to just save up a little and get a ZT like I have always wanted. I'm looking at the 0200 right now but would welcome any and all suggestions. Only requirements are that it don't want bigger than a 4" blade, I want it to be a solid feeling knife (a heavy weight isn't a problem) and I would want a folder, not a fixed blade. Thanks again.

I have an 0550, 0560, and an 0350 their all excellent knives and you simply cannot go wrong with any of these three.

That doesn't narrow your options much. Nne of the ZT folders have a 4"+ blade except for the 0600. I still don't own a 0200, but if I had it to do all over again, that would be my first one.

Personally I myself would recommend the 550. I carry it more than any other knife I own. There have been many days that I will put something else in my pocket and end up changing it out with the 550 before I leave the house. The ergos, fit/finish, and the size are pretty much perfect for me and edc. I dont mind the 200 (bought one before I started carrying larger folders and sent it back due to the size) and I would carry one if I had it but there is just something about the 550 that keeps me coming back to it. Plus the smooth Ti lock side doesnt shred pockets like a lot of other knives do. You also have the option of choosing a Gen 1 or Gen 2 depending on whether or not you prefer deep carry.

Maybe I can narrow it down a bit then. My perfect ZT would be between 7oz and 8oz, deep carry if possible, 3.5" to 3.75" blade, manual open over Speedsafe, FRN/Zytel scales with liners (titanium seems to jack the price up too much, G10 tends to be too abrasive). Since I'm probably looking at saving $50 a month towards it, preferably something around $150 so I can have it soon as I'm impatient :).

The 560/561 has the size requirements in terms of blade length while being just under 6oz. The G10 is not as abrasive as other knives while still being grippy. It's manual with KVT bearings so it is extremely fast and smooth. Also a bit on the expensive side because of the bearings and titanium but well worth it.

If you can go a bit smaller the 566 is coming soon. It's basically s scaled down version of a 560 with a steel lock bar and Speedsafe. Don't let the Speedsafe turn you away. Like the Blur and ZT 350 you can take it out to make an extremely smooth and fast manual knife. It should be closest to your price point.

ZT 300 series is worth a look as well.

I picked up a 0550 a couple months ago and it is amazing. The thing is built like a tank and looks quite "overbuilt" if you will. The shape of the knife is also amazing, the curve fits perfectly in your hand. I also really like the thick belly of the blade. This being said I still have yet to handle a 0200 but I am sure the any zt is going to be spectacular, but I would recommend the 0550
good luck!

Maybe I can narrow it down a bit then. My perfect ZT would be between 7oz and 8oz, deep carry if possible, 3.5" to 3.75" blade, manual open over Speedsafe, FRN/Zytel scales with liners (titanium seems to jack the price up too much, G10 tends to be too abrasive). Since I'm probably looking at saving $50 a month towards it, preferably something around $150 so I can have it soon as I'm impatient :).

Get yurself the 0200, that way I can live vicariously through your experiences. :)

Based on your "specs" the 0200. G10 handle, 154CM steel 4" blade and weighs in at 8 ounces.

For the blade you have a choice of Plain Edge Black DLC (0200), Serrated Edge Black DLC (0200ST) and Plain Edge Bead Blast (0200KW).

I actually own a few Speedsafe knives from Kershaw (Scallion, Kuro and Cryo). I like it but I'm worried about reactions to a larger blade springing out that quickly. After doing a little research, the numbers all run together so I may have to do a lot of research to figure out what I really want. :) I realize that any ZT is probably better than what I have now, barring maybe my Griptilian 551. Any more feedback is appreciated greatly. I don't have knife people around me normally so it's great to have somewhere to socialize.

The 0560/0561 come up on the exchange regularly for around $175.00. I would hold out for one of those. It's my favorite ZT and that's including the 0801 I just got in the mail today.

My personal favorite is still the 0301. Next up would be the 0550. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

I believe all these are still current production models, and all have a blade under 4". I don't have any of the new 2013 designs (yet!) for comparison, but I believe the 0566 and 0770 will be close in size to the 0350 (blade and OAL). The 0801 is close in size to the 0550.

ZT200_301_350_560_550_800x584.jpg

I have the 0200 and the 0550. Both are great. I edc the 0550. It fits better in the pocket and feels great in the hand, the 0200 feels very good in the hand also, just beefier. If I had to grab a knife to take with me for tough tasks, I would have to give the nod to the 0200. Not that the 0550 couldn't handle it or is a slouch in any way. It's just the 0200 screams "beat me! I can take it!" Your choice...no disappointments will be met.

Main criteria are how much you want to spend, used/new, blem/unblem, etc.

Blade lengths for the popular models (0566 & 0770 are not out yet):

0200: 4"
0560, 0300: 3.75"
0550, 0801: 3.5"
0350, 0566, 0770: 3.25"

I have the 0200KW, 0350TS and a Gen1 0550. Out of the three the 0550 is my favorite. I like the size and feel of the knife and I like that it is not a speed safe knife. I like a manual opener better.

Shaun

Get it, its amazing, once you hold it you will never want to put it down, i can barely notice its in my pockit, even though it weighshalf a pound

Back