Pictures Of Your Cold Steel

unepTae.jpg

As clealry shown, the Cold Steel Espada, Large, in CTS-XHP, with the polished aluminum bolsters. Instead of CS allocating so much time and energy to ensure it could be used to suspend a small car over a ravine, or to sustain the weight of large circus animals to assist in the evacuation of a zoo, I wish CS would have realized that the curvature of the polished, smooth finger choil formed by the shape of the smooth aluminum bolsters, would act as a "slip and slide" for one's fingers situated within the curvature of the choil, when thrusting into an object, while slippery from sweat.

Under said circumstances, unless wearing special gloves, or carrying and applying talcum powder before thrusting into an object, the smooth choil will perform like a slippery water slide at an amusement park and plunge the soft flesh of your sweaty fingers that had counted on the effectiveness of the choil, directly onto that razor sharp edge awaiting them above the choil.

At least a partially severed tendon and nerve damage is thus far the penultimate result, which will likely require surgery unless I am content with risking permanent partial loss of mobility and feeling, as over four (4) months have elapsed and significant issues still exist.

In no mood to seek medical attention during the immediate aftermath for what clearly called for stitches / suture, etc., I managed to stop the bleeding in due time and care for the wound to prevent infection. Over four (4) months later, I am still experiencing a disturbing partial lack of sensation and a limited range of motion as to my pointer finger, which took the plunge in a horrific manner. I feel fortunate to not have full on lost the finger.

Grotesque pictures are available upon demand, depicting the aftermath of the incident in question.

So...........was this iteration of the Espada meant to be used for thrusting, only with special gloves, talcum powder and/or in a scenario or climate where the likelihood of sweaty hands is de minimis or non-existent?

To stem off the obvious but understandable questions:

1. I was not batoning, wood, or otherwise. I don't even do that with fixed blades highly capable and commonly used for batoning; and

2. I wasn't trying to kill anyone, as I am not in the habit of stabbing people, particularly with massive, newsworthy implements, or otherwise.

Last edited:
Im curious as to what you were doing. I think this iteration of the Espada is more for looks really, and the bead blasted, black grippy g-10 version is more of a user. I learned some respect for this blade when I took it out of my pocket using the wave when my hands were sweaty once. I only was able to get a pincher grip on the very end of the handle and the blade didnt open all the way and instead slammed back closed because of the strong detent, nicking my index finger. Very small injury compared to yours but it bled like hell. Honestly I dont carry it as much as my older big folders because of the slippery scales.

Back