1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pikal Parer

Discussion in 'Koster Knives' started by Daniel Koster, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    Here's a knife I'd really like to get back to making - was a great concept that I never really pushed forward...just kinda batted it around a bit.

It's basically a paring knife with the edge on top....pikal-style.

Very easy to use and intuitive.

I wanted to have a good solid blade with a thin flat grind that would not be too flimsy. Also, it was a must to have a full size handle.

For self-defense, this carries very nicely horizontally on weak-side, edge-up. Easy-in, easy out.

[​IMG]

Specs:

Blade = 0.090" thick S30V, flat grind, 2.5" blade
    Handle = Orange G10 (texturized) with black liners, 3 lanyard tubes, 4.5" long
    Overall = 7"

More pics:

[​IMG]

The beauty of this design is that it easily doubles as a paring knife as well as a self-defense knife.

[​IMG]

Well - any thoughts?

I have been using one in my kitchen (probably one of the ones above) for the last few years and it gets used nearly every day. My wife swears by it...so it's passed the test of time.

I'll probably make a couple minor modifications - such as a straighter blade (less of a hook), no choil at the ricasso/edge area, tighter/smaller thumbgrooves (a must with this design) and I might pull the handle front back just a hair to allow up-close cutting more easily. Also, will be made of 12c27 stainless steel. It will be 95% the same, though...like I said, minor stuff.

Anyway, I'd love to get some input on this design and might even consider a passaround on a prototype.

Dan
    KosterKnives.com

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    This appeals to me. I carry a small pikal knife everyday. I really like the design and it looks very practical for everyday use. Count me in.

Also, I would keep the choil and even the thumb grooves (this is personal, of course). I agree with a straight blade, though I can't see a 'hook' in yours except in the first photo. I am interested in ordering one of these. Looking forward to how this progresses.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    You can just barely get a sense of the curve in the first pic. It's a pain to grind and finish, but more importantly...I haven't found any advantage in the kitchen. In fact, I reground my own personal one to a flat sheepsfoot profile and like it much more.

Dan

4. discdoggin

discdoggin

Jun 6, 2010
    I like! I also think I would prefer a straight blade, and would definitely be interested in a passaround if this becomes reality!

DD

5. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    These are really nice blades. I'd like to get my hands on one :)

6. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    I will be happy to help you out...:D :D

Let's see if we get a few more takers on the passaround idea.

Dan

7. wheel

wheel

Aug 3, 2008
    I'd love to give it a try! What do you think of this style with a bit more swayback in the handle, similar to the case swayback style?? A wharnie or sheepsfoot swayback in this size from you would be soooo cool!

8. gottahaveit27

gottahaveit27

Aug 31, 2008
    I also really like this idea and I would definitely like to be in on a passaround.
    Looks like a really useful little blade!

9. milkyeye

milkyeye Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Very nice, i would be interested.

10. lightleak

lightleak

Jun 11, 2009
    Looks very useful, I am looking for a little utility / kitchen knife like that. Great design, as always.

11. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    I want to keep this handle straight so that it can be used in multiple grips and easily rotated.

12. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    Looking forward to see this progress :)

13. icybluesmile

icybluesmile Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2010
    This is a great looking little knife! I'm very much looking forward to getting one.

14. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm working on getting some 12c27 steel in...going to go with 0.100" thickness and grind it all the way to the top. Changes the look a little, but the performance is quite a bit better for slicing/detail work!

Dan

15. gottahaveit27

gottahaveit27

Aug 31, 2008
    I like the idea of the full flat grind on this one Dan. I would vote to keep the teeny tiny choil though. I think that it would make sharpening a lot easier (especially on a small blade like this). Regardless I'm looking forward to seeing this move ahead!

16. ElCabre

ElCabre

Dec 20, 2011
    Nice ! Pikals are awesome .

17. jnich67

jnich67

Dec 4, 2006
    I would be interested in one of these. Been looking for something like this for a while. I'd like to see something with a shorter handle and maybe an OAL of around 6.25"-6.5" - but that's just me and my small hands.

Jordan

18. Jeff Jenness

Jeff Jenness

Sep 2, 2010
    If you need another volunteer, I would like to be a part of the pass-around.

I agree, that a 4" handle on this would be sufficient for all tasks for such a knife, so 6.5" OAL might be more fitting. ...BUT, I would like to find out with the pass-around.

Another point, in the kitchen and for food prep, do you find the hollow pins to be a problem for cleaning? I would probably want solid pins rather than the hollow pins.

To be honest, I have been wanting a Wharncliffe/sheepsfoot style blade on a small slim neck knife with a steel that was easy to care for. This one fits most of my requirements! Actually, I like the Scout handle profile and size better and would love to see a Wharncliffe blade on it, but this one would do do fine! :)

Jeff

19. thewoodpecker

thewoodpecker

Oct 12, 2008
    I'd be interested in getting in on the pass around.

20. Ranger1

Ranger1 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 1998
    What is the status on this? Of all your designs, this is my favorite. I will buy one now if they are available...