"Ping of Doom", Traditional knives please

Sorry to see that beautiful knife go lame Gary, unfortunately, custom or production the Ting gremlin lurks:eek: please post when it's back up and cutting:thumbsup:

Not the sound you want to hear! I have had some springs fail on me, but not with the telltale sound you describe. Show us the knife after it gets fixed up!

ouch! my sympathies, hopefully the maker can repair. is this due to long term usage and eventual slow hardening of the steel?

Shame to have that happen to such a nice example.

I've never had a backspring snap on a traditional, but I had one give up on a first gen Leatherman Juice. Gotta love that Leatherman 25 year warranty. They sent a new one in about a week.

The problem with posts like these, while you may like the person as well as the knife, when it is something that has gone wrong, I find I really can't click the Like button ;) that just seems kinda mean, as it almost looks like you LIKE what happened to that poor soul or poor knife :) see my predicament ?

Sorry to hear that happened Gary, I've not had it happen in recent memory, (as he knocks on his noggin' ).

At the very very worse case, if he doesn't come to your aid, I think he would since you do have a few of his knives and they are not inexpensive, but, you could always fill that channel up with bondo and turn it into a nice small fixed blade, if you can get the lock bar to go back in to cover the back side and keep the blade from flopping around, that seems like a very dire fix, so probably not a good idea...
G2

Only one I've ever had break was the secondary blades spring on a Queen #9 ACSB D2 stockman. They replaced the broken spring, unfortunately with a new one that is so weak it puts only slight pressure on the blades, open or closed. I was going to send it back again, but I procrastinated too long and they closed doors. Stuck with it now.

So sorry that had to happen. I hope he will be able to fix it for you. I wonder if a new thread about the different locking mechanisms or springs would be a good tutorial for some of us who have wondered how the mechanics work on a knife.

I’ve had it happen a number of the first was with my GEC #73L. I was in the middle of waxing poetic about one of the deer hunting days here on the farm and was opening and closing my knife. I said it down and ping, I picked it back up to find out it wouldn’t be ready for another hunt for awhile.

The most recent was my #15 stainless elk, I opened the knife roll and noticed a back spring laying loose in the roll, never a good sign. I haven’t taken the time to send it back yet, but with them running some stainless steel I probably should.

I’ve had a few Case knives and an older Queen do it as well. Sometimes I wonder if it’s me.

I've never had that happen to any of my knives, but I sure have received a lot of knives like that, either through trade or online purchasing. The Camillus demo knives were notorious for breaking springs.

Hopefully Mr. Ohta will take care of you, I'm sure he will.

Only one I've ever had break was the secondary blades spring on a Queen #9 ACSB D2 stockman. They replaced the broken spring, unfortunately with a new one that is so weak it puts only slight pressure on the blades, open or closed. I was going to send it back again, but I procrastinated too long and they closed doors. Stuck with it now.
So it wasn't just me.

I've had a few Queens do that to me. I didn't buy anymore Queens. I had a few of the military Camillus demo knives break springs on me.

OUCH!!
Gary, when you look at the broken ends, do you see changes/variations in color/texture??

I looked at it as closely as I can, Charlie. I don't see anything like that. I might not know what I'm looking for though.

Thanks for all the well wishes folks. I'll keep you posted on what I hear back, if anything.

I am sorry to see that this happened to your knife, Gary. I've seen a few threads on this forum about this very subject, but it doesn't seem to be too common of an occurrence...I hope! :eek: A question that pops into my mind when reading about a backspring breaking is what kind of pull effort did the knife have? IOW, I'm a bit curious to know if this is something that is more likely to happen on a knife with a pull of 8 or a pull of 4, for example. Or does that matter at all? :rolleyes:

As others have said, here's hoping Mr. Ohta can fix that beauty up like new. It would be great to see those results and pics posted here.

I am sorry to see that this happened to your knife, Gary. I've seen a few threads on this forum about this very subject, but it doesn't seem to be too common of an occurrence...I hope! :eek: A question that pops into my mind when reading about a backspring breaking is what kind of pull effort did the knife have? IOW, I'm a bit curious to know if this is something that is more likely to happen on a knife with a pull of 8 or a pull of 4, for example. Or does that matter at all? :rolleyes:

As others have said, here's hoping Mr. Ohta can fix that beauty up like new. It would be great to see those results and pics posted here.
I'd stay the pull was 5~6. Now it's 0. :D
I sent an email to Mr. Ohta a few minutes ago. Hopefully I'll get a positive response.

Wow! A quick report.
I sent Mr. Ohta an email at 10:35 am this morning. At 10:57 am I got a reply which stated that he would repair the knife "free immediately". He provided his address.
I'll have it on it's way as soon as I can. Very cool! A very positive first step in the process. Thank you Mr. Ohta!

Glad to hear that Gary :thumbsup:

It doesn't surprise me in the least, met him several times at Blade..a really nice guy.

I have a couple of those around somewhere. Probably in the "junk" drawer; I can't seem to toss old knives in any shape.

Good to know it's going to be alright.

Back