"Ping of Doom", Traditional knives please

Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later. I took this little Ohta Camper out last night and put it aside to carry today. I opened it up this morning to peel an apple and was greeted with the dreaded "Ping of Doom". The knife was rarely carried and is about 9 years old now. I'll have to see what Mr. Ohta can do for me regarding a repair etc.
Bummer, a nice little knife!
If you have one lets see some pics and hear the story.
PRTqNZX.jpg

Oh Man Gary!!! :confused:
What a shame on such a great Knife as well mate!

Gary I have had this three times in my Knife Life, my 1st " Ping of Doom "was a Tony Bose Collab- beautiful knife, placed in down on my desk after CF'ing the knife during a movie, went to bed- next morning picked up my knife and the Blade- well it just fell out of the liner :( = Broken spring- blew in the middle of the nigh in closed position. Case came to the party well!

My 2nd wasnt such a big deal because it was a very old Knife - and not an attractive one at that, but I bout it because
A, It was a Pruner
B, it had UK instead of England in the stamping- which I have never seen after owning many Sheffields
C, It was a G Ibberson
Please click on this link and see post # 522 of the description how it happened, and post # 529 for photo's..

My 3rd Ping of Doom was a stealthy one, I was going through all my knives checking them, and waxing them with Renaissance Wax ( You have to be extremely vigilante with NZ's Humidity and changing of the Weather so often as it does- and a Damp home = hard work ).
Anyway... this night it was a Later manufacture HJ Box which was it's turn for me to go through and check- going through one by one, checking the walk and talk- Oiling Joints and Waxing Blades and Springs etc - when I picked up a gorgeous Queen HJ the Paul Hilborn had gifted me- and one I carried in EDC rotations, same thing went to open the Blade and it just flew out with no resistance- my heart sank immediately as I knew that very very wrong feeling:mad: :(

@waynorth , Charlie my friend, interesting that you asked Gary about the Colour Change in the Metal on the Break Face of the now exposed internal of the Spring- Yes I did indeed notice that half the Spring was an Chalky White Colour ( not identifiable on the outside of the Spring of course once being cut, shaped and polished, I saw this and went aaaahah there you are!

3l1WnDJ.jpg

lW4Jsgi.jpg

Glad to hear it’s going to be fixed up Gary. I hope to never hear that ping with any of my customs.

Knock on wood!

Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later. I took this little Ohta Camper out last night and put it aside to carry today. I opened it up this morning to peel an apple and was greeted with the dreaded "Ping of Doom". The knife was rarely carried and is about 9 years old now. I'll have to see what Mr. Ohta can do for me regarding a repair etc.
Bummer, a nice little knife!
If you have one lets see some pics and hear the story.
PRTqNZX.jpg

OUCH Gary :eek::eek::eek:
I hate seeing any knife brake but a fine Ohta is worse than most.

Beware, beware the Ping of Doom!
When end of spring flies 'cross the room!

Fear ye too the Spring of Sloth!
Lazy, lame--like love turned wroth!

Protect thy Blade from Twists of Fate!
Neither pry nor screw your trusty mate!

Oil the Joints, as the Maker said,
Lest these Three should bring you Dread!

Interesting the mention of Oiling the Joints, When Case sent me my knife back, they put a note inside the package to please ensure that I oil the joints- the way it was written kind of suggested I dont oil my Knives- Man, I almost over oil the Joints in my Pocket Knives, wiping the excess and working it in on a weekly basis- and when the Knife is Stored away again, it gets a lube up before that as well.

Interesting the mention of Oiling the Joints, When Case sent me my knife back, they put a note inside the package to please ensure that I oil the joints- the way it was written kind of suggested I dont oil my Knives- Man, I almost over oil the Joints in my Pocket Knives, wiping the excess and working it in on a weekly basis- and when the Knife is Stored away again, it gets a lube up before that as well.

My doggerel was of course quoting the instructions stamped into many a Sheffield blade. The second line of the couplet occurred to me first, and I needed a word to rhyme with "dread" which led me to "said." Hence a quote from the maker, Wostenholm knives.

Oiling would not prevent the Ping of Doom nor the Spring of Sloth if they arise from imperfections in spring geometry or manufacture, although it does help slow wear on bearing surfaces. Of the three causes of wreck and ruin mentioned, only the Twist of Fate can be avoided.

From this.
PRTqNZX.jpg

To this.
8sF5L7E.jpg

Sent USPS priority on October 3rd. My doorbell rang a half hour ago, October 20th.
17 day round trip to Tokyo and it's back as good as new, with a slip sheath!
Warranty repair par excellence! It doesn't get any better.
Thank you Hiroaki!

Wow!!! That is amazingly quick. Mr Hiroaki's word rivals his skill. Awesome combination!

Sent USPS priority on October 3rd. My doorbell rang a half hour ago, October 20th.
Thank you Hiroaki!

Glad to hear that all is now well!

I've had two such failures. One was a D2 Queen Cattleman. I've heard of several such.

The other was a Buck 703. The first batch of 700 series knives that Buck made around about 1980 were the first slip joint knives that Buck had made in-house. They apparently did not temper the springs correctly and many springs failed. Buck replaced them, of course. I never had occasion to return mine, but I did buy another from the second batch. It had no issues. I've often thought that Buck's propensity toward soft springs is based on the failure of that first batch of 700's.

Congrats on the return of your again-superb knife, Gary! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sounds like top-flight customer service!

- GT

Very satisfying to hear :cool: My dealings with Mr Ohta revealed an artist of great integrity, this story adds to the respect I have for him.

Excellent that it's back in service:) I also wonder how Japan Post can be so quick and efficient?:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

From this.
PRTqNZX.jpg

To this.
8sF5L7E.jpg

Thank you Hiroaki!
Quality pays, especially with the maker.

Very satisfying to hear :cool: My dealings with Mr Ohta revealed an artist of great integrity, this story adds to the respect I have for him.

Excellent that it's back in service:) I also wonder how Japan Post can be so quick and efficient?:thumbsup:

Regards, Will
I think all the planets were in alignment on this one, Will. The package was shipped on the 18th, in NYC on the 19th and at my door today. Awesome service all around.
Back with the rest of the family.

From this.
PRTqNZX.jpg

To this.
8sF5L7E.jpg

Thank you Hiroaki!

That's great!! The service couldn't have been better. What a looker.

Great to hear Gary! The best of the bunch is back where it belongs.
Amazing turn-around. :thumbsup::thumbsup: to Mr. Ohta.

Back