Pivot Pin Visible Through Bolsters?

Lenny

Gold Member
I'm able to see the outline of 2 of the pivot pins through the bolsters of my GEC Stockman.
Is this a problem?
Knife pivots feel perfect in use.
Thanks,
Lenny

Thanks Rick.
Don't know why, but I always thought the pivots were under the bolsters.
Is it common for them to show through?
Lenny

Hey Lenny, Outside a Buck 301 and a Western that show, work fine. Most that I own don't show.

Thanks Rick.
Don't know why, but I always thought the pivots were under the bolsters.
Is it common for them to show through?
Lenny

Real common. Many won't ordinarily be seen at a casual glance, especially on a new knife. But they are usually easier to see under certain light, or with magnification. More so on knives with nickel bolsters and stainless pivot pins; there's a subtle difference in the color/brightness of the two metals. Older knives with a little bit of patina, tarnish & scuffs will show it more, because of the different ways in which each metal will oxidize and wear.

Last edited:
David is spot on, as usual, with his comments.:thumbup:

Lenny, look very closely at some of your other traditional knives and you will find that the pivot pin can be seen if you look hard and hold it at the proper angle. If the shield is pinned, you should be able to spot that too. The pins might be hard to see but you should be able to make them out with a keen eye.

As stated above by others, some of them just show through more prominently than others.

OP, I understand your concern, and as always appreciate the knowledgeable answers here. I've noticed visible pins in others' pictures more than on my own knives, but some stand out more than others.

David, for some reason your answer reminds me of the old joke about the woman who calls the police because her neighbors are acting inappropriately, in full view of her window.

A police officer shows up, looks through her window across the yard to the neighbors' house, and tells her, "I can't see a thing."

She replies, "Of course not. You have to use these," handing him a pair of binoculars.

(Yes, I did just spend a good amount of time with a loupe, turning various knives this way and that under the light to spot the pins.)

~ P.

David is spot on, as usual, with his comments.:thumbup:

Lenny, look very closely at some of your other traditional knives and you will find that the pivot pin can be seen if you look hard and hold it at the proper angle. If the shield is pinned, you should be able to spot that too. The pins might be hard to see but you should be able to make them out with a keen eye.

As stated above by others, some of them just show through more prominently than others.

:D Just hold on thar a dog gone minute. David might be right. But If you figure asking the average slip joint owner what they see, with the average slip owner being older and not seeing like they used to, we might have trouble reaching a consensus on the subject. :D:D:D

:D Just hold on thar a dog gone minute. David might be right. But If you figure asking the average slip joint owner what they see, with the average slip owner being older and not seeing like they used to, we might have trouble reaching a consensus on the subject. :D:D:D

I "see" your point.:):D

There are a couple other types of construction where the pivots don't go all the way through the bolsters, but AFAIK neither of them are used anymore on newly made knives.

One is referred to as Swinden Key construction. This was used by Schrade on some of their knives and those they made under contract for Buck. A cross section can be seen in this post by 300 Bucks.

The other is the type found in Imperial and Colonial knives with shell handles. These have a hollow one piece 'shell' on each side that is shaped to look like bolsters and jigged bone. This thread from the Maintenance forum shows the disassembly of one.

I have a 301 like Nickels where the pins are noticeable. I think it's fairly common on those knives, or at least it seems that way from all the pictures I've seen of the more recent versions. I also have a couple other knives where they can be faintly seen when looking at just the right angle. As already stated here, it won't affect the performance of the knife at all.

Last edited:
OP, I understand your concern, and as always appreciate the knowledgeable answers here. I've noticed visible pins in others' pictures more than on my own knives, but some stand out more than others.

David, for some reason your answer reminds me of the old joke about the woman who calls the police because her neighbors are acting inappropriately, in full view of her window.

A police officer shows up, looks through her window across the yard to the neighbors' house, and tells her, "I can't see a thing."

She replies, "Of course not. You have to use these," handing him a pair of binoculars.

(Yes, I did just spend a good amount of time with a loupe, turning various knives this way and that under the light to spot the pins.)

~ P.

On that note, at some time in the past, when my (near) eyesight was a good bit better than now (I'm 51), I started noticing the visible pins on bolsters. Had I not noticed them then, I might still be oblivious to them now. But being the 'obsessed' individual I am now, and knowing they're there even when I can't see them by naked eye, I'll still pick up a magnifier just to see if I can make 'em out. Don't know why I do this, but I do. It's a sickness, I'm pretty sure... :p

Am I correct in thinking that as long as the pins are nearly the same shade of color as the bolsters a little extra buffing, either by GEC or by the owner, would help the pins blend in a little better?

Am I correct in thinking that as long as the pins are nearly the same shade of color as the bolsters a little extra buffing, either by GEC or by the owner, would help the pins blend in a little better?

I'd think it would help. I figure if the manufacturer managed to finish them in such a way as to blend them seamlessly when new, some careful sanding and/or buffing/polishing could almost make 'em disappear again.

I'd think it would help. I figure if the manufacturer managed to finish them in such a way as to blend them seamlessly when new, some careful sanding and/or buffing/polishing could almost make 'em disappear again.

That's my thinking as well. As long as they were invisible when new it should be possible. If some grit or other foreign matter got in there before the pins were peened, then you would be hard pressed to get rid of it. I do think it would be extremely unlikely that GEC would send a knife out in that condition, though.

David and Rick, a number of things during peening can help this, 1 use two shims while peening, 2 use
a bushing in the pivot so you can wail away. Normal peening and TAKING IT TO A HIGHER GRIT BEFORE
buffing seems to be the most effective. Seems like having to really lay on the buffer will make them show more.
Trying to hide them if the pin and bolster are different alloys is really not possible.
Ken.

The older Camillus-made Bucks are known for the visible pins on the bolsters. Here's my 307 stockman with nickel bolsters and (I'm pretty sure) stainless pins; they're pretty easily seen here:

Last edited:
David and Rick, a number of things during peening can help this, 1 use two shims while peening, 2 use
a bushing in the pivot so you can wail away. Normal peening and TAKING IT TO A HIGHER GRIT BEFORE
buffing seems to be the most effective. Seems like having to really lay on the buffer will make them show more.

Ken.

Thanks Ken. That makes good sense. :thumbup:

It seems that they will tend to show as the bolsters develop patina (fine scratches from use as opposed to blade patina or staining). Here is my mini copperhead that I carry so much. You can see the pin now but couldn't when new.

MiniCopperheads-01.jpg

Shown here with a newer model (not carried as much yet). I can't determine any problems which could be attributed to this so far. And I don't expect any to develop.

Ed J

Ed J

Not sure I showed all three of the cut-aways in the mentioned earlier posting. These were all 'well' used knives before being cut....... 300Bucks

Early Schrade contract '301', Swinden key pivot.
DSCF11212.jpg

Camillus era Buck contract, brass liner era.
Camillus.jpg

Buck made era, intergal liners and bolsters, SS pins
Buck.jpg

Last edited:
Cool cutaways. Thanks for posting these 300Bucks. :thumbup:

Back