1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Please recommend small fixed blade for 10yr old Scout

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Maven, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Maven

Maven

Nov 27, 2015
    Youre the second Enzo recommendation, I have to say they look great and seem to meet all my criterion. The Elver and even possibly the Necker. What looks AWESOME to me though is the kits Building a knife together would make even that much more special.

The Patriot and Maverick Colt were highest on the initial list I put together myself, the Patriot not making the cut because I worry its handle is too short. Its a knife Id love to get hands on in person.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. neal70

neal70

Jun 3, 2015
    i think i can mention thompson knives(sorry if i'm wrong), that would be the place to check for completed enzos as well as the knife kits.

3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    The handle is short, no doubt about it. Three fingers, for me; but I've never found it to be a problem...then again, it isn't my only fixed blade; so if I need/want more knife, I've got options.
    If you don't mind the price jump, the BRKT Mini Fox River is a small knife with a comfortable handle that fits my hand well. (I wear L-XL gloves)
    Where are you located?

4. exmaxima

exmaxima

Jan 30, 2006
  5. Maven

Maven

Nov 27, 2015
    the Mini Fox River would work perfectly, I just know that Ill get in trouble with the missus if i stretch the budget out to $160 to get him one. I even mentioned the MFR in the first post, I am familiar with it. :)

Located in very southern NJ

6. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I was just thinking the same thing... Cheap and effective, with a great no slip grip. Perfect size and form, takes a wicked edge and easy to sharpen, definitely another great option for a first knife to learn with, rather the spend $100 right off the bat... He'll still love it like it was worth a thousand I'm sure...

Plus for the price, the wife will be happy, add in a small sharpening stone, and maybe even throw in a rough rider slip joint in his favorite color or a new folder with it as a package deal.
    Only Correction being it is made with vg1 not vg10
    Basically a poor man's 440c without all the extra carbides.

*apparently they offer it in 3v also for double price.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. cbrstar

cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    You know your own Kid better than any one, so you can be a much better judge...

But personally for a 10 year old, I'd pick up the cheapest one possible. Say in the $25 range. The reason being it's going to be abused to hell!! and just like a car, it's good to see how they are going to use/treat one first.

No 10 year old isn't not going to try throwing it, and if they don't one of their little friends will... In fact I remember when I was in the Scouts (long time ago lol) the first thing we did when the Scout Master wasn't looking was to play this "Game" where the object was to throw the knife, and to stick in the ground as close as possible to the other guys foot...Upon success you took a step backward.
    Sounds pretty dumb right?

The other issue is he might lose it, or some other kid in his class might steal it, if it's too nice. And also it might be easier to teach him how to sharpen on a cheaper softer metal knife.

One last thing you should look into, though the Boy Scouts don't officially have any restrictions on knife type and size. Your local Troop might for instance only allow SAK style knives, so it's good to give your Troop leader a call...

All that being said, I'd just go visit your local Hardware store and pick out something cheap he/you might like. As you can't go too wrong along as you stay away from the "Flea Market" special.

8. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Lots of good options. For my boy, I decided to go cheap and let him beat up his first fixed blade knife. Then allow him to pick his own for the next go around. So he started with this Schrade schf14. He is small for his age, and this turned out really good for him.

The g10 slabs are very thin on the full tang. It actually comes with a decent Kydex sheath, but since he is my boy, of course he needed leather. [emoji41]. So he made his own sheath...with a little step by step verbal instruction from me.

His local troop has no problem with him carrying for local activities and campouts. But the organized camps he's attended have taken it from him during his stay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ocnLogan

ocnLogan

Jul 31, 2011
    I heartily agree on the "inexpensive" knife thing being said. Cheap and inexpensive are not the same thing, although their price tags can sometimes be :).

The Pendleton mini hunter is a good idea that falls into the "inexpensive" category, as does the Mora 546. They're still quality knives, but when it gets lost/broken/etc, the pain won't be so great.

Good luck on the search :).

10. running bird

running bird

Sep 29, 2015
    i would say a boker trigonaut (or any of their other short fixed blades), I have one and it's small and dandy and what not. But its still very comfortable to hold, fits on the hand really well. The blade shape might be a bit funny but it is a wonderful shape for carving and cutting (also the shape might teach him not to judge thing by they way they look which is always important to teach someone when it comes to knives. It's a sandvik12 steel so it isn't too bad and its rust resistant. The knife comes with a pretty nice kydex sheath that you could buy a belt clip for (or not because it is small enough to fit the knife in your pocket). The sheath can come a little tight and it could take a good tug to get the knife out of the sheath (pro or con, depends) but I' m sure just like anyone with a new knife he will probably sheath and unsheathe it a lot for fun, which will brake in the sheath and make it easier to use.This blade costs around $40 on amazon and blade HQ so you will probably have some money left over for a lanyard to add a little to the knife.
    I hope this helps
    I really think this is a neat blade you could get him, he'll probably find it very interesting that something so strange looking could work so well

Also you cant go wrong with a Morakniv 510, and for about $10 you could buy a cuple of them.

11. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    A.G. Russell Woodswalker

12. Halfneck

Halfneck

Jun 30, 2005
    Both my boys received a Marttiini M571 when they earned their Whittling Chip in Cub Scouts. Only saw use on unofficial Scout events, but worked better than most other kid's more expensive knives. Was going to get them a Mora 510, but they were discontinued at that time.

Handled the Helle Speider at BLADE and was impressed with it for the money.
    A Mora Companion would work great too.
    The Buck Woodsman would be a nice alternative if you want something less puukko-ish.

13. Maven

Maven

Nov 27, 2015
    Hes used my Mora 511 before, and didnt feel or look very comfortable with it. I dont know if was the length, or that its light for its size, or what, but he didnt like it. A smaller Scandinavian knife might obviously work.

I just came across a Schrade ProHunter2, obviously Chinese at this point but anyone know what stainless the are using?

14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    It's never good when you can't easily find it listed. I personally wouldn't want to give that as a first knife to my kid. Almost every other suggestion in this thread would be a more wise option.

15. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    7cr17

It's the Schrade standard for their Pro Hunter knives

It's 440a with a bit of nickel added... Not a bad entry level Steel. Takes a keen edge, but soft and won't hold it too long. Reasonably tough and very stain resistent... Problem is Schrade's quality control, whether it's a good batch or not.

IMO you'd be much better served with the Cold Steel Mini Pendleton Hunter... VG1 is an entry level Steel also, different composition but same basic grade, but it's a notch ahead of 440a due to a significantly higher carbon level, also, Cold Steel as a company has far better quality control and consistency then any Taylor Brand division (Schrade, s&W, old timer, imperial, and uncle henry). And not a knock on Schrade, (Taylor), I'm actually a fan of plenty of what they offer at that price point, but they're never my "first choice", so if there's a Cold Steel in the same specs at the same price, I would take it every time.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  16. exmaxima

exmaxima

Jan 30, 2006
    Good catch. My old eyes did not notice that. Thanks!!

17. Maven

Maven

Nov 27, 2015
    Good to know. I havent had a Schrade knife in probably 15 yrs, and honestly hadnt kept abreast of how they were making things these days.

The Cold Steel seems to be getting several recommendations, Ill look into them a bit further, as I like the guard it has, the price seems great and even a reasonable sheath. I think its probably down to the Mini Pendleton or us assembling some Enzos together. Hes got some ziricote he wanted to make a Pinewood derby car out of, he'd probably love a knife he assembled with handles from his wood.

Thanks so much to all, theres been lots of nice stuff this has exposed me too. Food for though for EDC and emergency bag use even. Love to see all these smaller knives. Keep up the good work guys :)

18. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    They are not at all the same company. They recently ripped of the Gerber LMF II design. Shady.

19. jkwithawave

jkwithawave ..... Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I highly recommend the BK14 or 24 if you'd rather D2 over 1095. It'll be right about the perfect size. Perfect size blade for just about any use. Great size handle for smaller hands, yet big enough to where he could still use it as he grows up. I would suggest adding handle scales to it. My preference are TKC g10 scales, but they're about $40 or so. Absolutely worth it, but maybe not at first. There's g10 scales somewhere around 10-$15, I don't recall where I've seen them. And also the black and orange grivory scales that I believe are around the same price, maybe a little less.

Anything around that size will work though.

This is coming from a 5'3"(on a good day) adult.