Please share experience with the manticore stone

It works. Best value for the money. I have used it a lot more than expected and i highly recommend this stone.

I had an axe I bought at Lowe’s to help with hurricane cleanup and it was the only one left. I could not get it sharp for anything. I tried a basterd file and a five inch bench grinder. Soaked the stone for a few minutes then put the axe in a vice. And used it like a file. The axe is now very sharp.

I have re-profiled at least 3 knives with it. It has not had time to develope a slurry before I was done. I am not sure but I don’t think I have used it enough to even get through the finner layer caused by the molding process yet.

It hogs off metal fast.

Last edited:
Other than quick edge touch-ups, the Manticore is the only stone I use for reprofiling and about 90% of sharpening, finishing with light strokes on higher grits. An excellent (I rarely use this word to describe anything) stone, IMO. I just wish I'd found out about the Manticore before I spent a considerable amount of money and time on abrasives that didn't hog off metal nearly as quickly or as well.

Last edited:
They had them at Ace for 2 bucks on Friday. All I use mostly. A couple of swipes and it is sharp. Instead of sit an hour on S125V. Somehow it is faster than Diamond.

Back