Please share experience with the manticore stone

When I have to recondition the surface of my American Mutt I have had good success using 30 grit SiC powder.
I have used 60 and 90 in the past but they start to break down too quick.

Like Benjamin said using a good amount of pressure keeps exposing new grit on the AM , I have also found keeping it well saturated helps things out too.

I was hoping I didn’t have to resort to loose sic powder. But maybe that’s the only thing that does the job right. For now I still have the manticore for coarse jobs which is fantastic btw.

Coarse loose grit is the way to go for reconditioning the Mutt. The mixed grit size makes the use of diamond plates or dressing stones largely ineffective. Loose grit really does work so much faster anyway that it's now my recommended flattening and reconditioning method for stones of all types. I wasted SO much time using other methods until finally giving the three-body abrasive method a go.

Coarse loose grit is the way to go for reconditioning the Mutt. The mixed grit size makes the use of diamond plates or dressing stones largely ineffective. Loose grit really does work so much faster anyway that it's now my recommended flattening and reconditioning method for stones of all types. I wasted SO much time using other methods until finally giving the three-body abrasive method a go.
What do you use as a base? I’ve used concrete stepping stones and have eventually dished them out while flattening sharpening stones (not a big deal since they’re cheap tho).

Back