Plumb screw-wedged axes and hatchets

This Plumb hatchet is a gem because it has a more unusual logo and it's original handle has never been replaced or re-set. A good opportunity to see the unusual wedging system of two crossed wooden wedges with a cone-shaped screw-wedge in the middle. Can anyone date the logo which has the word Plumb made up of horizontal lines?

13654125_1058997227524490_4323706327969500341_n.jpg

I didn't think Plumb 'take up wedges' were ever installed on factory wood wedged handles. For sure someone on here will have a definitive answer. I'm thinking the owner of this particular tool carefully re-hung the factory handle using wedges and then thoughtfully re-installed the screw, and quite a while back. Wonder if this was done by COTS dad or granddad? Sure beats the prevalent 'drive in a pile of roofing nails and key blanks until the handle feels tight'.

Hi Gben, I don’t know if you saw this thread: *Obviously you have, you commented on it*
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...and-other-information?highlight=plumb+history

Plumb take-up wedge Mentioned 1922
1922 Boy’s Life Ad
https://books.google.com/books?id=0...#v=onepage&q=plumb axes take-up wedge&f=false

As far as how long they used the take-up thread, maybe up to the initial black Permabond then the red?
1954-1955?

The horizontal lined stamps I’ve seen in person seem to be accompanied by the word Genuine as well.
Yesteryear tools makes mention of the marks being used as early as the 20’s but nothing specific.
http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yest...umb Co..html

Last edited:
The proprietary take-up screw does not seem to have survived much beyond the pivotal Pearl Harbour event for the majority of Plumb products. I have an OEM 3 1/2 lb National with a conventional wedge. Since Plumb was actively promoting their "new" product (trademarked 10 Sept 1948) beginning in 1946 or 47 (some also happen to be stamped 'Victory' whereas others are stamped 'Patent Applied For') they likely used conventional wedges only until red Permabond (does anyone out there have a black Permabond National from 1955?) came into widespread use in 1956.

July%202015%20036%20Medium_zpssleeo18q.jpg

I didn't think Plumb 'take up wedges' were ever installed on factory wood wedged handles...

Without having any photos of NOS examples, it's my impression that Plumb's "take-up wedges" were installed (at the factory) into axes/hatchets already having a "normal" wedge installed in them. Otherwise, it seems like it would be difficult (if not impossible) for them to work. I don't recall ever seeing other examples of the take-up wedge being paired with cross wedges (from the factory), but there seem to be exceptions to every rule, so I'm not ruling it out.

Plumb's 1922 patent for the "take-up wedge" shows it being used on a hammer that also has a wooden wedge (two wooden wedges, actually):

US1426316-0.png

http://www.google.com/patents/US1426316

Last edited:
From another thread here, another hatchet with the same Plumb logo made with horizontal lines, and the same wedging system with two crossed wood wedges and a screw in the middle:

morescoutaxes003_zps56e0b34a.jpg

morescoutaxes001_zpsc9c5d7a4.jpg

Wow! Multiple wood wedges and then an expanding screw wedge. Thank you Steve and gben. Makes me wonder; does the patent encompass the wood wedging (which is conventional) plus take-up screw system or does it cover only the added advantage of the tapered screw design?

Yes thanks to Steve Tall for sharing actual facts once again. As far as dating the 'Genuine Plumb" stamping goes I will have to do more poking around for that....

Using wood wedges to subdivide an axe or hammer eye into quadrants, with an expanding screw right in the center, does make sense. But for expediency (every maker is constantly looking to cut costs) trimming and setting 2 wood wedges and then pre-drilling a hole for a conical screw, and installing it, would have taken up valuable shop time.

Mine don't have a wood wedge. Looks to be original, and in good shape too. The idea of the conical take up wedge will not work in hickory without wooden wedges!

I figured you guys might appreciate this one. It's a similar idea but requires no wood wedge. It's called the Jones Adjustable Fastener from the early 1900's.

Thank you for 'show & telling' us about this novel system. There is nothing new under the sun! The idea is great but having to remove about 1/4 of the structural wood support within the eye has to be a negative for overall tool durability.

...As far as dating the 'Genuine Plumb" stamping goes I will have to do more poking around for that....

As posted earlier (see below), Fayette R. Plumb II was the source for a timeline of Plumb history, including the statement "1940 -- All tools stamped Genuine Plumb". Some details are missing, and I don't know how accurate his recollections are, but this gives some indication.

Also, he is the source of all references I've seen about Permabond in 1954 being black, not red. I'd like to remind everyone that his quotes specify that the black Permabond was only used in Leader Tools L81, which is a Plumb hammer.

"1954 -- Plumb Permabond appears as black material in Leader Tools -- marketed until 1955 -- L81 only."
"1955 -- Permabond in all tools of top grade. Fiberglass handle F55 and F55R appear -- solid fiberglass handle."

I have that article on DVD (and I mentioned it earlier in this thread) from The Chronicle (The Chronicle of The Early American Industries Association, Vol. 37, No. 4, December 1984, pages 70-71, "Yerkes & Plumb" by Dan Comerford) about the history of Plumb, as told (or written) to the author by Fayette R. Plumb II (the grandson of the original F.R. Plumb).

Here's what FRPII said about Permabond:

"1954 -- Plumb Permabond appears as black material in Leader Tools -- marketed until 1955 -- L81 only."

"1955 -- Permabond in all tools of top grade. Fiberglass handle F55 and F55R appear -- solid fiberglass handle."

Some other dates from his timeline that might help with figuring out when a Plumb tool was made:

"1910-1911 -- Plant built in St. Louis, Mo., to manufacture axes."

"1920 -- Plumb changes to trademark colors of black head & red handle"

"1940 -- All tools stamped Genuine Plumb"

"1942 -- 'Victory' finish introduced & for duration of WWII"

"1960 -- St. Louis plant is closed and sold. All manufacturing shifted to Philadelphia."
[YesteryearsTools shows some of the labels associated with the St. Louis plant.]

Mr. Plumb also disclosed that Plumb made the following brands, among others:
Blue Grass
O-V-B (Our Very Best)
Diamond Edge

. . . It's called the Jones Adjustable Fastener from the early 1900's. . .

That is a pretty unique fastener. Tried to find out more.

1910 ads:
27677845173_8e659b6d28_c.jpg

28214866421_128043a68d_z.jpg

28293418575_e6499a3f49_c.jpg

Actually found the hatchet posted here: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/the-c-a-c-axe.175306/
For others interested there are 11 pictures in the thread, so scroll down. Neat hatchet.

I suspect they really didn't live up to all the advertising hype as (AFAIK) nobody uses them now. As 300 said you do loose some material from the handle in the eye. If I'm understanding how they work, I wonder about the effectiveness of expansion only going toward the bit and pole and none toward the sides.

Bob

As posted earlier (see below), Fayette R. Plumb II was the source for a timeline of Plumb history, including the statement "1940 -- All tools stamped Genuine Plumb". Some details are missing, and I don't know how accurate his recollections are, but this gives some indication.[/I]

If the "Genuine Plumb" marking was started in 1940 and "Victory" markings were used starting in 1942, that would make the "Genuine Plumb" marked tools scarce. Notice this full page add from 1943 that Steve Tall linked to in another thread, it appears to show tools marked not with "Genuine Plumb" but with a marking that looks like the "Plumb Victory" logo:

13690923_1060651774025702_3758194718280155193_o.jpg

It would also mean that the hatchet at the beginning of this thread is older than the "Genuine Plumb" hatchet put up a few days ago.

Also how about if rjdankert and Hacked start another thread about unique handle wedging systems that have nothing to do with this thread about Plumb tools? Feel free to remove your non-related material from this thread too, Thanks in advance.......

. . . Also how about if rjdankert and Hacked start another thread about unique handle wedging systems. . .
Well, I guess this post is also off-topic, but I am unapologetically posting it anyway. :)

I thought about a separate post about wedges. I think it would really be interesting. However, I don't really have any examples to start with. If you or someone else wanted to start one I would be inclined to do some research and gladly contribute if I'm successful.

. . . that have nothing to do with this thread about Plumb tools?. . .
I am shocked after five years of being on this forum that a member would make an off-topic post. Shocked, absolutely SHOCKED. :eek: :eek: :eek:
It may not be encouraged, but is there a specific BFC rule that prohibits this?

. . . Feel free to remove your non-related material from this thread too, Thanks in advance.......
And thank YOU for your permission to remove my post, but I think I will respectfully decline the offer.

Bob

BTW, ever receive an infraction ("points") from a moderator for a post?

Back