PM2 M4 CF Knifeworks exclusive, worth it?

Hey guys/gals,

I have been wanting a PM2 for a while now, but at the same time, I kind of want to try out tool steels. I already have a ZT 0393 in 20CV, BM 940-1 in S90V, and a Native 5 in S35VN, so I thought maybe tool steel would work nicely for my next collection.

The only knife I found so far that fits out of my needs/wants is the knifeworks exclusive PM2 in M4 steel with carbon fiber handle, for $220. I know there's the BladeHQ Jade G10 version, but that's no longer for sale.

For $220, it's rather expensive for a PM2, although my other knives are more expensive. Do you guys think it's worth it? Thanks.

I HATE Spyderco's peel ply carbon fiber; though, obviously, I'm in the minority. Love the PM2 platform, though.
(My M4 PM2 is sporting brass scales)

I HATE Spyderco's peel ply carbon fiber; though, obviously, I'm in the minority. Love the PM2 platform, though.
(My M4 PM2 is sporting brass scales)
Some of the best carbon fiber for grip. The standard g10 also is peelply. You can get aftermarket scales in nearly any material you like without peel ply texture... Coppers really nice but also heavy af.

I hate jade aka translucent aka natural g10. But at least it can be dyed. Though no one ever does.

Last edited:
The standard g10 also is peelply.
I don't like the standard scales, either; though they aren't nearly as awful as the cf....I was just trying not to paint that picture. I own several PM2s, and have put aftermarket scales on all of them.

I would say go for it. The peel ply is sweet and m4 is a great choice. I’m not a fan of none of the blade hq jade scale stuff

Reactions: Mo2
The price of $220 is well justified imo. You get a m4 blade and cf scales plus it is a limited dealer exclusive run. After the initial run of this model was sold out, I saw $300+ of it in the secondary market.

BTW it was on sale for $200 during the labor day.

Edit: if you think about that ZT 0562 with s35vn/g10 sells for $200 and ZT 0452cf with s35vn/cf for $220, then $220 (or $200 when on sale) for this PM2 is quite reasonable. It is for sure among the most expensive PM2's though.

8qatgv3.jpg

Last edited:
In the last 15 years, I've had three EDC primary knives- each one kicks the last out of my pocket. This PM2 is the latest. It took the place of a first model Gayle Bradley. Good steel, lightweight, great ergonomics, easy to use for a lefty. Just had to change the clip to a deep carry and it is "Golden".

It's definitely expensive. They go on sale for $200 now and then though. Something like the BHQ M4 PM2 was significantly cheaper, though it also sold out very quickly. I have the KW version, and I do like it a lot. I try not to think about how it cost more than the fluted CF Native. I like the grip of the peel-ply finish on the CF, but don't like how it obscures seeing the CF weave. To me, CF is at least in part about the look. I can't really say if it's worth it or not, but I can say I like the knife.

I love mine, got one early in the first run and it’s been great.

You could also look around for a Rex45, they still should be around somewhere

Not if you don’t care about the scale. You can get the M4 in jade for much less.

Yes! It's the only PM2 I still have, and the best variation, IMO. The peel ply CF is great and M4 steel is awesome!

Absolutely, get one. Even though some may not care for the CF, it's texture makes it one of the best non slip, grippy CF slabs that are on the market today. It has a very smooth action and is hard to put down.
It will be one purchase that you will not regret.

I'm not a huge fan of CF ... but I bought one of these for the M4 and I like it better than I thought I would ... I may end up changing out the CF scales for a micarta set of scales I have ... but the M4 is worth it ...

and if you like CF at all you'll most likely love this knife ... it may be the lightest of any of my carry knives ... now for me that's a minus I prefer to know I have my knife in hand instead of something so lightweight it doesn't feel like I have ahold of anything.

The CF upgrade is expensive. Sales seem to be slow for this dealer exclusive and it's been on sale a few times. If you like it and can afford it, go for it.
Alternatively you might consider the Knifecenter Cruwear exclusive.

It's my favorite version. The Golden CF is expensive, but feels and looks great. M4 is of course spectacular. This may have been the most anticipated PM2 ever, years in the making, but the Jade BHQ drop really took the wind from it's sails.

30683375842_20b742671d_c.jpg

It is sorta pricey, but YES it is very much worth it! I still like my PM2 52100 CF more (and if you’re not afraid of the corrosion issue, which you really needn’t be, you should really consider it as well), but the KW M4 PM2 is fantastic. The action is ultra ultra smooth, and the edge seems to stay sharp forever. The Golden, CO peel ply CF is quite nice too.

Back