1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

PM2 M4 CF Knifeworks exclusive, worth it?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by ipwn3r456, Sep 16, 2018.

1. bofe954

bofe954

Jan 10, 2013
    Makes the Gayle Bradley knives seem like good deals to me.

2. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    There was one for sale...:p

(I'd been agonizing over this knife since I didn't place an order when it was on sale over Labor Day weekend. David's sale thread pushed me over the edge.)

Mo2 and Va.koi guy like this.
  3. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Great snag ^^

Blues likes this.
  4. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Thanks.

I just picked up the BHQ DLC version a few days ago. So now I won't have to worry about babying one or the other. :cool:

5. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    I have a bunch of PM2 Baby’s :D .

6. Kels73

Kels73

Feb 20, 2012
    If you like carbon fiber scales, then it's definitely worth it. If you don't, then you could always look to the secondary market for something that suits you better.

If you're not in a hurry, then another option would be to wait for the release of a new sprint or exclusive with tool steel. After all, this is the PM2. You probably won't have to wait that long, lol.

7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    You can see the waves of the cf layers from the side and... Put some water on the cf scales and the weave shows up more until the water evaps (just don't get it on the blade, unless u want patina).

Speaking of patina. It's good to apply a rust inhibitor to the whole blade being that it's M4. it could get a bit of rust on the tang that you can't see under the scales with time if it's used in a wet or humid environments. Make sure to use a good pivot lube in there. There is this new stuff called knife pivot lube and it's making its rounds to everyone and they say it's better than anything they have tried before. Just a suggestion.

For the blade itself ideally use something food safe edci, mineral oil, fluid film etc. Apply, rub in and then wipe off.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  8. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I like the CF version, and I like the Jade version. I have both. Otherwise it's your preference but they are available for what would once have been considered bargain prices for an exclusive with primo steel. If you want a really good PM2 for a little less money, there is always the S110V version.

9. kniferelatedname

kniferelatedname

Feb 24, 2018
    On the secondary market? I figured like most limited PM2s, they would have gotten more expensive.

10. ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456

Sep 2, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the answers.

How does Peelply CF feel in hands? Is it similar to G10?

How's Cruwear compared to M4 and other tool steels (52100, D2)?

I hate you, just kidding (please don't ban me). Enjoy your knife.

I already have a knife in S90V, it would be nice to have a S110V, but I might want some tool steels this time. Besides, I am not the biggest fan of the blurple scale, and aftermarket scales will put the total cost about the same as the PM2 M4 CF knifeworks exclusive.

11. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Sorry, dude. (Didn't know you had made up your mind to pursue one.)

12. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Isn’t m4 a high speed steel? Is it a tool steel? High speed tool steel?

Either way m4 is outstanding stuff. Touches up very nicely just don’t let it get too dull or you’re in for a long sharpening session.

Seems like it has very good edge stability and not prone to chipping.

13. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    ^^^^ High speed tool steel.

14. JBoone

JBoone

Dec 30, 2012
    Only knife I have a backup new in box duplicate of.

Doubt I will wear out or lose first one but liked it enough to purchase a second just in case.
    [​IMG]

TheFactor likes this.
  15. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Not any more. You can now get M4 PM2 for $180 in secondary market.

kniferelatedname likes this.
  16. Twinsdad

Twinsdad Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I would say the peelfly is slightly more grippy then regular scales. It’s not the more common glossy stuff where u see all of the waves and what not. IMO it’s the best scales pm2 has to offer

sharp_edge and Mo2 like this.
  17. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Agree, I see the GB2, the large 3.6" M4 blade model in the $150-175 range. It is a five star review folder!

18. Jason_W

Jason_W Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 15, 2018
    The grip of the CF scales is unmatched by any of my other PM2's...I love this knife.

trackstar55 and JBoone like this.