Pocket fixed blades.

Carl,
I do nderstand your point about pocket sheath knives :), and it looks like there are some really pretty ones around here.
Personally, I don't see the point in carrying one myself.
I do recognize the advantages of a fixed blade for relatively heavier tasks (like when camping/hiking, light wood processing, and so on), and its superiority in uncomfy situations (wet hands and so on). But none of those things occur in my everyday life.
So I prefer a 3" or 3,5" folder inside my pocket to the 5" or 5,5" fixed blade in a sheath. Same length of blade, easier to carry, and with no real disadvantage over my cutting tasks. Nothing on my belt, no bulk in my back pocket, and so on.
Of course, it's just my point of view. :)

Fausto
:cool:

Case Lil' Devil...Home made pocket sheath...
It carries about the same as a wallet ;)

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

I wonder if pocket puukos are the answer to the senior citizen pocket knife?

I've seen them called "Grandfather" or even "Grandmother" knives by some Scandinavian maker.

I like a tiny flat fixed blade horizontal on my belt. It's like having your jackknife open in your hand when you realize you need it, rather than having to put something down to retrieve and open the knife.

Last edited:
That Lil' Devil is a beaut.
Thanx r.p. I got it back in the '80's while In the Coast Guard...so it had my initials scratched into the handle and tang...
I learned enough here on the forums to get rid of the scars and make it like new again! :D

Sorry to dig this thread up from a month ago, but I guess that's what the search function does.

Just wanted to chime in that I just ordered my first "EDC" fixed blade. I went with a BHK frontier first patch knife. I can hardly wait the 30 or so days it may take for me to get. I hope after I get it, my small fixed blade bug is satisfied for awhile. I'll be more than happy to post some pictures after it's received.

Puuko usually isn't very small,and if peanut is not there i could mistaken that puuko for "regular size"knife :)
I like idea of fixed pocket knife and have couple ,that i use that way,but with 2"-3" blades

IMGP2354.JPG

Like this one

That's a peach:)

I may have commented on this photo before(?) but I do like that combination.

What's the handle on your BHK, and was it custom? I've seen only solid colors so far.

~ P.

I wish I were better at keeping track of threads--sorry for the delay. To answer your question from last month, I believe the handle is their stabilized fiddleback maple. I got this knife on the secondary market and I believe it's an older model (it doesn't have any kind of identifying mark on it)

I wish I were better at keeping track of threads--sorry for the delay. To answer your question from last month, I believe the handle is their stabilized fiddleback maple. I got this knife on the secondary market and I believe it's an older model (it doesn't have any kind of identifying mark on it)

Better late than never; fortunately, I wasn't waiting up nights in the meantime, hopin'. ;)

Thanks!

~ P.

But the real question is where is THE peanut? The one carried for 40 or so years by a man that didn't think much of his knife, but became a knife legend. I shall be patient, for some day maybe I shall see it and all shall bow to its glory. :D

+1 Come on Carl let's see the old knives we've heard so much of..... I'd like to see the wonder dog too, and the Vespa.

BHK knives are worth the wait, I am really pleased with my Camp MUK. Super nice folks too :thumbup:

BHK knives are worth the wait, I am really pleased with my Camp MUK. Super nice folks too :thumbup:

That's good to hear. Honestly, I kept wanting to pull the trigger on an izula (which I may do next month), but just wanted something a tad less tactical, but a similar size blade, shape and price. I really just stumbled on this thread and love the look of the BHK and just went for it.

That's good to hear. Honestly, I kept wanting to pull the trigger on an izula (which I may do next month), but just wanted something a tad less tactical, but a similar size blade, shape and price. I really just stumbled on this thread and love the look of the BHK and just went for it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, they come really, really sharp too...nicked my finger while fooling around with a lanyard for it. Didn't even notice until I saw blood :D

.....Uh, Small fixed blades can be a slippery slope. I no sooner got my first Bark River L'l Creek and I was shopping for another. Kind of like the "Famous Potato Chip". Hard to eat just one!

I was carrying a Bark River Micro Tusk for few months. I live in California, so pocket carry of fixed blades isn't legal, as it is considered a concealed weapon. I was wearing it on my belt, but apparently even having a shirt hanging over it on the belt is considered concealed carry, so I have stopped carrying it, since I'm not really a shirt tucked in guy. It's a shame though, because it's an awesome little knife.

IMG_2012.jpg

I really really like this one from Alan Davis---made from a "Misery Whip" saw blade if my memory is up to par:)

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Paul

I also have an Alan Davis Misery Whip, although mine is handled with curly maple. I keep it in a KSF Adirondack sheath paired with a Victorinox Spirit.

Since this thread is up again, I'll add another. This one is Burt Foster's "Dark Side". 6" OAL, forged O-1 and 15N20 in a sort of random / ladder pattern Damascus. Sharp as a scalpel. The sheath has a belt loop, but I've carried this in my pocket on more then one occasion.
DSC01917-1.jpg

Nothing fancy. Just a little 6" AG Russell I stick in the hip pocket of my jeans once in a great while.
It's pretty much a little paring knife to carry for occasions when a paring knife might be called for.

AG_Russel.JPG

Nothing fancy. Just a little 6" AG Russell I stick in the hip pocket of my jeans once in a great while.
It's pretty much a little paring knife to carry for occasions when a paring knife might be called for.

I've got one of A.G.'s Woodswalkers in my kitchen. It gets used all the time. I used to carry in the pocket sheath, until my wife claimed it. :D

Back