Pocket knife for 8 year old boy

Hey all, we have 5 youngins but one of my boys is turning 8 soon.

He wants a knife. He already has 2 SAK classics any suggestions for the next step up?

I might even dull it down before I give it to him... not sure.

We don't do video games at our home but let the kids get bb guns, outdoor stuff and pets so this is kinda how this is happening.

Any suggestions?

Would a dulled down OD-2 be a bad idea?

How do you feel about Opinels? They make kids knives with rounded tips and they lock.

Full size SAK. I suggest tinker/super tinker, soldier/pioneer, farmer or cadet. Get him some basic sharpening equipment to go with it.

I suggest something that opens with one hand(he can still use two hands if he wants).
You don't want it snapping closed on his little fingers. So that's why I suggest something that doesn't have a snap to it, such as an SAK, etc.
This being said, how much are you looking to spend?
You also want something that's easy for him to close. So a liner lock, frame lock, or no lock may be your best bets.
You also want something small because after all he's just a little guy and anything too big would look like he has a knife made for a giant.

For some things under $40 I would look at:
Spyderco Squeak - No lock so he doesn't need to put his fingers in the way of the blade, but it also won't snap closed on his fingers. A decent steel that will hold its edge well and is easy to sharpen back up.

*Spyderco Ambitious - Another little blade, has a liner lock. Liner locks are easy to operate and you could teach him how in just a few minutes. 8cr13mov steel that holds its edge pretty well for a cheaper steel. Easy for dad to sharpen back up lol. I would take a look at the Blue one. This is actually the knife I would get him. It'll get him used to an easy lock, be in a Blue Color for a Boy, and the one hand opening will be easy for him. He'll like it, I'm sure.

CRKT Pazoda - You can get the large(Pazoda) or small(Pazoda 2) version but for an 8 year old I would go for the small version. It's a nice little knife and he'll think it looks cool. Has a smooth frame lock, again he can be taught how to operate it safely in just a few minutes.

A CRKT Shrimp could be a nice little blade for him too, he can open it two handed but with it having a frame lock it shouldn't snap on his fingers. You can also get this in different colors.

I'd suggest the buck vantage, small... Safe, locking, easy to open and close, affordable and a really good.Knife.. I have the pro myself, and my 10year old and 6 year old have one small one each...

SAK makes a childs beginner knife I believe. Stay away from one hand openers or difficult lock mechanisms. Mora makes a childs fixed blade with a crossguard.--KV

I let my son choose from a few options, and he chose a SAK Tinker... because it came in blue :D

This might be a slightly more "dangerous" option, but what boy wouldn't like a flipper? I know my son has his eye on my flipping knives. The CRKT Ripple, Kershaw Skyline, or Buck Vantage as suggested above are great knives, with somewhat smaller handles that would work well for kids, and all three can be found for under $40.

How about leatherman micra

micra.jpg

:D

I was raised with victorinoxes, and nothing ever happened, then again I was very carefull. In retrospective, i'd get him something with some sort of lock. The spyderco persistance as stated above looks like a good option to me!

Any standard size SAK would be good. My son uses a hiker or camper.

In regards to dulling it down, a dull knife is not more safe than a sharp knife. If the knife is dull, he will have to exert more force just to cut, and potentially resort to bad technique. Proper technique and a sharp knife is much safer in my opinion.

My kids got fixed blades for their first knives. I wanted them to learn edge and point safety, and once that was handled we moved on to worrying about blades that fold. Becker BK-13 Remoras were what they got, and I am very satisfied with how the whole thing went. They used and use the hell out of them.

How about a little Buck 55. It's just a scaled down version of the classic Buck 110.

Got my little guy a blue mini grip sheepsfoot. The only place he doesn't carry it is school.
It fits his little hand perfectly.

Back