Pocket Survival Kit

I have seen a few threads on PSK lately. I really like survival kits. I don't know why I do. I enjoy putting then together. I like trying to think of items that have multiple uses. Once that process is complete, I attempt to shove it all in to a very small package. I always carry a small kit in my pack while in the woods. If I have a base camp I put the kit on my belt or in a cargo pocket. I was asked to do a vid on my kit so here it is.

Here are a couple of pics.

DSCN0508.JPG

For those of you who can't or don't watch vids here is a breakdown.

The pouch is a US GI compass case
Mylar survival blanket
1 gallon ziplock bag
Turley PSK knife
2 band-aids
2x2 gauze pad
Snare wire
Fishing line
3 hooks
5 sinkers
100 lb test cord
Tin foil
Iodine tabs
Wire saw
Fire steel
Fatwood
3 needles
Button compass

This kit takes care of; shelter,water,knife,sustenance,signaling,first aid, and fire.

IA Woodsman, can you tell me what kind of cordage you have in your kit and where you picked it up at?

I believe you said it had an inner core like 550 or was that a slip of the tongue in the video? Either way it's a great kit, and I have watched this video a dozen times as well as your other videos. Thanks.

IA Woodsman, can you tell me what kind of cordage you have in your kit and where you picked it up at?

I believe you said it had an inner core like 550 or was that a slip of the tongue in the video? Either way it's a great kit, and I have watched this video a dozen times as well as your other videos. Thanks.

There is a link on post #31 for that cord. Glad you like the vids.

There is a link on post #31 for that cord. Glad you like the vids.

Thanks, I have no clue how I missed that post. I wish quietmike would post louder so I don't miss what he has to say. ;) :p

Thanks for the link quietmike.

Your signalling critic may have wanted that new 'Bear Grylls Commemorative Satelite Phone', complete with solar and windup power backups included...

Stainz

No, actually, Evolute was simply pointing out that whistles don't take up any real space, they weigh just about nothing...but he didn't go into why they are so valuable.

If someone busts their drumstick and they're down over some hill in a thicket, they'll wish they had one. In fact, you don't even have to have something that dramatic to happen for them to be very valuable.

And they are incredibly valuable for kids in the woods.

You can make a whistle out of a soda can and it will lay flat in your tin and really take up next to no space.

Back